SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #8,688 of 45,723
Has anyone found an affordable balanced cable for the SE846? Something not too thick over the ear. I would prefer a 90 degree plug, but understand that this limits the choices even further.

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #8,691 of 45,723
Feb 3, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #8,694 of 45,723
this is a bit overkill for the phone

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #8,695 of 45,723
gearofwar Normally I like your posts, they are very informative. I have to say what you are saying to TenderTendon was a little off. He posted measurements he took of the Sony and compared them to the measurements posted for the QP1R. He certainly didn't do or say anything ignorant bro, he just shared his findings. I know measurements aren't the be all end all, but power measurements normally show a fair assessment in regards to power. At least he took the time to measure and post his results.

Of course, you have both devices and can share your POV, and it wouldn't be the first time anecdotal info contradicts measurements.

Either way, both daps are well received here and seems like you can't go wrong with either. Or I'm the true head-fi fashion, buy both. :)

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #8,696 of 45,723
WHAT?! Power measurements give you a good notion as to the power of a device? Such blasphemy! I won't stand for it!

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #8,697 of 45,723
What has this world come to when we discard measured data in favor of opinions?   :confused:   Well, here's some more data to ignore...

I just measured the output of the 1A and 1Z. They both measure exactly the same, BTW. All measurements are on the balanced jack using high gain with a 1Khz test tone. I don't have a QP1R here to test, so all I have to compare with is the manufacturers published specs.

Into 300 ohm load = 2.06 volts (14mW) A slight edge on the QP1R at 12mW (approximately 17% higher).
Into 32 ohm load = 2.02 volts (128mW) 3 times the QP1R's claimed output of 40mW.
Into 16 ohm load = 2.0 volts (250mw) The only posted dated for the QP1R into a 16 ohm load is 16.3mw (Wow!).

This data shows that the Sony and Questyle have a somewhat equal maximum voltage output, but the Sony is capable of delivering MUCH more current.

It would be great if you could made the same measurement for DX200 balanced output

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #8,700 of 45,723
@gearofwar Normally I like your posts, they are very informative. I have to say what you are saying to @TenderTendon was a little off. He posted measurements he took of the Sony and compared them to the measurements posted for the QP1R. He certainly didn't do or say anything ignorant bro, he just shared his findings. I know measurements aren't the be all end all, but power measurements normally show a fair assessment in regards to power. At least he took the time to measure and post his results.

Of course, you have both devices and can share your POV, and it wouldn't be the first time anecdotal info contradicts measurements.

Either way, both daps are well received here and seems like you can't go wrong with either. Or I'm the true head-fi fashion, buy both.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was just trying to make him realize that measurement is not always true. He feels free to believe whatever he wants. Actually when he pm-ed me that 1z is the same as 1a except for different casing, I didn't see the point in arguing already. 
Btw, He was wondering if I did post something here better than him since he has the equipment to measure while I don't. Well, someone has already posted a comparison before so I don't need to go over again. As said, I don't care for number, my ears determine everything.  Just re-quoted the whole thing. 

Quote:
I have the Questyle QP1r, WM1Z and tried them with my HE1000 while making early comparisons... speculation and debate aside, however you cut it, the QP1r can drive the HE1000 though it really is pushing the unit on high gain and there's little headroom there. As for the WM1Z, it doesn't come close to that power output level and can't drive the HE1000 properly.
Approximating the volume levels, the WM1Z on max volume, high gain is about equal to the QP1r max volume on its medium gain. Both units on high gain, I'd say the WM1Z is capable of about 80% the power of the QP1r... but nevertheless I'd suggest these questions are academic because realistically, while it's nice to have, I doubt the majority of people purchasing these units will be looking to primarily pair it with something that hard to drive or impractical. It would seem more useful for bragging rites than anything.

As for the the QP1r sound... this is subjective but my personal opinion is that it is most definitely NOT mid-fi territory. I did make brief comparisons on the WM1Z impressions page but it's not as simple as saying that one is superior to the other... the synergy and what is being paired with will be a far more defining than each unit on their own. For the most part the WM1Z/A units are far warmer in their presentations and the QP1r is more airy and for the most part faster sounding with a slightly tighter less impactful low frequency response. Detail retrieval is exceptionally good on the QP1r but both units have excellent soundstage (width and layering) capabilities. The QP1r is slightly more analytical, a little dryer and I much prefer it paired with denser, heavier sounding headphones and IEMs eg. Audeze LCD-X, JH Audio Layla, Angie and Earsonic Velvets all of which have quite emphasized bass regions even with their 'tuning' dials right down.
The WM1Z, on the other hand, has a heavier dense sound which pairs well with clearer faster IEMs. Because of the thickness of the presentation in the mids, I quite like the pairing with more V-shaped IEMs/headphones such as the Fostex TH900, Kennerton Odin, Rhapsodio Galaxy & Solar.
The QP1r does have a very poor jog wheel though. The other main reason I keep mine around is that it is a far better and more practical transport being exceptionally clean (cleaner than the WM1Z) used as a line-out and also having optical out. It is a far more pocket friendly DAP, the downside being that battery life is far lower than the WM1 offerings. For now the QP1r is permanently tethered to a Fostex HP-V1 for a transportable hybrid tube rig. They pair nicely and stack well. The WM1z makes for quite an over bassy pairing there.

There is no end game DAP out there, just different choices depending on preferences and limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back