SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #8,657 of 45,723
@TenderTendon have you managed to find out much info on the DC Phase Linearizer?

For the life of me, I can't find any clear explanation of the individual settings.

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #8,658 of 45,723
  @TenderTendon have you managed to find out much info on the DC Phase Linearizer?

For the life of me, I can't find any clear explanation of the individual settings.

No, they're definitely keeping it a secret. I can definitely hear an improvement when it is engaged, but cannot notice an audible difference between the 6 modes. I agree it is frustrating when manufacturers don't supply enough information.

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #8,659 of 45,723
As i have never owned a high end Sony Walkman,do you guys think there will be many firmware updates in the near future,and other features added?
Is good to see that everyone is talking advanced of the software that can remove the volume cap and order the European version, without any worries.

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #8,660 of 45,723
As i have never owned a high end Sony Walkman,do you guys think there will be many firmware updates in the near future,and other features added?
Is good to see that everyone is talking advanced of the software that can remove the volume cap and order the European version, without any worries.

As far as I know, there aren't any software bugs being reported and I'm not aware of any hardware inside that isn't being utilized, so I don't expect any updates. I certainly could be wrong though. Not only does the software remove the volume cap, it also enables the use of the remote control and adds that option to the menu.

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #8,661 of 45,723

No, they're definitely keeping it a secret. I can definitely hear an improvement when it is engaged, but cannot notice an audible difference between the 6 modes. I agree it is frustrating when manufacturers don't supply enough information.

Yep, it is quite annoying. I found a manual for a Sony Home Theatre AV amp that mentions a little bit about it, but not the differences between the individual settings. It did mention however that the factory default setting is Standard-A, so I will probably use that until I can work out the difference between them.

http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/442593/sony-str-da1000es.html?page=11

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #8,662 of 45,723

Yep, it is quite annoying. I found a manual for a Sony Home Theatre AV amp that mentions a little bit about it, but not the differences between the individual settings. It did mention however that the factory default setting is Standard-A, so I will probably use that until I can work out the difference between them.

http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/442593/sony-str-da1000es.html?page=11

That's funny. I came across that a couple of days ago. It does give a little more insight as to its fundamental theory, but explains nothing about the control positions. Maybe in time more information will get leaked out.

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #8,664 of 45,723
For all of you who can afford and want to buy the gold Walkman.
Why did you decided to do so, and why not go for AK380 or AK380 Cu.
Is it the long battery life or what else? The AK can do Tidal but you all know already :wink:
So tell us why Sony and not AK?

I like how nice the gold walkman sounds when playing at low levels.
Also, the smoothness of the music comes close to the sound of a Chord DAVE or Nagra HD DAC.
For a portable, that's really great.

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #8,665 of 45,723

I found a manual for a Sony Home Theatre AV amp that mentions a little bit about it, but not the differences between the individual settings.

If I were forced to make a guess as to what the modes are, I would say that mode A applies a phase shift in a positive direction in 3 different increments and mode B applies a shift in a negative direction in the same 3 increments. That is just my guess.

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #8,666 of 45,723

That's funny. I came across that a couple of days ago. It does give a little more insight as to its fundamental theory, but explains nothing about the control positions. Maybe in time more information will get leaked out.

I found a conversation from about 12 years ago discussing digital amps  http://www.agoraquest.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=99895

but there was nothing new in there apart from this line:

"There are two levels of 'effect' A & B with B providing the effect at a higher frequency point. Within the paramaters of either A or B, one can choose low, std, or high, or if you prefer, off. The default is STD A"​

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #8,668 of 45,723

What has this world come to when we discard measured data in favor of opinions?  
confused.gif
  Well, here's some more data to ignore...

I just measured the output of the 1A and 1Z. They both measure exactly the same, BTW. All measurements are on the balanced jack using high gain with a 1Khz test tone. I don't have a QP1R here to test, so all I have to compare with is the manufacturers published specs.

Into 300 ohm load = 2.06 volts (14mW) A slight edge on the QP1R at 12mW (approximately 17% higher).
Into 32 ohm load = 2.02 volts (128mW) 3 times the QP1R's claimed output of 40mW.
Into 16 ohm load = 2.0 volts (250mw) The only posted dated for the QP1R into a 16 ohm load is 16.3mw (Wow!).

This data shows that the Sony and Questyle have a somewhat equal maximum voltage output, but the Sony is capable of delivering MUCH more current.

QP1R depends its entire amping on Current mode...

What is Current Mode Amplification?

In current mode amplification, the signal is amplified by modulating current instead of Voltage. It is widely applied in the high speed communication industry and the video processing industry, but it is Questyle Audio’s patented technology as applied to headphone amplifiers.

Learn More about Current Mode Amplifier>>

What all these numbers have anything to do ? all of you here except someone posted here before was the only one who has both units. All are just theorizing on numbers..
Back to the fact that i have both 1a and qp1r, qp1r drives my hd800 to the lvl any wm1 couldn't make. 
Does that mean QP1R is better in everything? No. I prefer 1A for my iem and as portable solution while QP1R i would never sell it because it's done better job at something else any WM1 cant do

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #8,669 of 45,723
  If I were forced to make a guess as to what the modes are, I would say that mode A applies a phase shift in a positive direction in 3 different increments and mode B applies a shift in a negative direction in the same 3 increments. That is just my guess.

Judging by the info I just found it looks more like the A and B refer to the frequency that the phase is occuring at with A at 40hz and B at 60hz perhaps and then the low, standard and high represent the amount of phase?

But I'm just guessing here too 
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #8,670 of 45,723
  QP1R depends its entire amping on Current mode...

What is Current Mode Amplification?

In current mode amplification, the signal is amplified by modulating current instead of Voltage. It is widely applied in the high speed communication industry and the video processing industry, but it is Questyle Audio’s patented technology as applied to headphone amplifiers.

Learn More about Current Mode Amplifier>>

What all these numbers have anything to do ? all of you here except someone posted here before was the only one who has both units. All are just theorizing on numbers..
Back to the fact that i have both 1a and qp1r, qp1r drives my hd800 to the lvl any wm1 couldn't make.

I am just posting measured data. If you disagree with my measurements and feel they are inaccurate, let's use your measurements instead. Where did you post them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back