SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #45,392 of 45,723
This is an interesting comment. I am thinking weather the increase in battery and also the power cap upgrade, could offset the issue noticed by "one" user.

it can but so can the cap decoupling on with the DACs power supply or just a minor firmware configuration. But the increase in caps in the powerful filtration will not lead to a better “resolution And layering.” Lol.

Let’s breakdown the Mod flowery language on “Music Sanctuary”

A 6 core vs 12 core braided wiring there’s no increase in “resolution and layering”

As you may already know from iem replaceable cables, they oxidize over time and lose their connection and the signal is weakened so they need to be replaced. 12 core may increase some resonance at first but like the 6 they will diminish over time. All things equal Quality wise 12 wires is better than 6 and will last longer. So if you had your player for a while this may be a good upgrade! The only “advantage” is configuring the wires to the output 4.4 jack improved ground.

Adding caps in the Power Filtration only takes on the sound of the signature caps. It’s arbitrary to say it “sounds better or not.” There’s no improvement to biasing nor the ppm errors. Moreover, these caps leak 10% so you can get dc offset issues as they diminish over time and you will need to replace them or remove them!

Lastly, the improved battery replacement. The DC input is the same on both the stock and replacement. There are no improvements to sound only battery life is improved.

That’s what you are paying for.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #45,393 of 45,723
Although the reviewer aludes to tuning of the drivers working well together, and the "bone conduction" adding to the mids, I am starting to think the actual unique improvement may lie in the electrostatic type driver it is using...
:)
Still, from what I have read, the Sony is like the reference point for IEMs.
I only own four modern Sony IEMs, the XBA-Z5, the N3, XBA-100 and the IER-Z1R. After owning the IER-Z1R a while I’ve come to realize how both correct and crazy it is. It has to be the size it is to fit the components. It has to be heavy to counteract vibrational artifacts. It’s both extreme and correct in many ways. Yet strangely it’s not boring as it would seem by first hearing it. Really it’s a window into getting involved with the music, yet it doesn’t do everything right. The mids will sit in a funny place. Some people talk about male vocals being back but I hear all vocals being ever so slightly displaced? Yet I don’t care. I don’t care because the rest is so good it overpowers the artifact. Actually I don’t even care if there is something better. It’s like having a 50 foot pool in your yard, and the guy next door builds a 70 foot pool. :)

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #45,394 of 45,723
Things I've tested that works:
Sony Walkman stock cable (and the cheapo replacement cable) + WM1a + PC/laptop = works as a DAC for the PC/laptop
Sony Walkman Cradle BCR-NWH10 (on PC mode) + WM1a = works as a DAC from the PC/laptop
SONY Walkman Micro USB Plug Adapter WMP-NWM10 + WM1a + microusb to usb type c interconnect + phone = works as a DAC
iphone 4s + apple camera kit + walkman cable = the connected device takes too much power (doesn't work)
Sony XZ Premium on bluetooth + WM1a as Bluetooth receiver = Works perfectly fine, little to no lag

Edit: There is an option in settings for USB DAC Settings, uncheck the Charge this player from the connected device, and iPhone 4s works, so I'd assume that current iPhones will work as well.
This post was a lifesaver. Lmao.
I've been trying to figure out how to use the wm1a with my phone. I didn't even know that adapter existed.

Sep 21, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #45,395 of 45,723
Lastly, the improved battery replacement. The DC input is the same on both the stock and replacement. There are no improvements to sound only battery life is improved.

That’s what you are paying for
Yep, but I wouldn't trust the battery upgrades from others. Only @Nayparm.
Too much can go wrong...

Sep 21, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #45,396 of 45,723
This is also one of the reasons why I love the 1A. It's a simple player, and you can just get lost in the music, no beeps/bops, internet connections, interruptions...and with the extended battery, it is the only player to take with you out into nature.
40 hours on a single charge, perfect for camping.
amen

Sep 21, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #45,397 of 45,723
Very much agree it's simply gone way too far and mostly driven by corporate greed. I do have an Android based DAP, equally it rarely gets used, the very last thing I want is yet another device with an OS designed first and foremost for the harvesting of personal information. WM1A/Z only presents one thing to the listener high quality music reproduction. Should Sony drop that simple premise, I will drop Sony...

A high end DAP should explicitly be about music, not data acquisition and that's what Google is all and only about...

Q-6
yessir...this is why I dont mess with Sony android players...

Sep 21, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #45,398 of 45,723
Hello audiophiles and all the Sony users!

With all the new flagships and mid-fi DAPs, given a chance would you guys still get a dated device, in this case, WM1A or a WM1Z? I came across that these said sony devices could be modded with custom firmware by @MrWalkman or modded physically by @Nayparm, to achieve phenomenal performance, sonically.

Sorry if I got misinformed while doing my research. Doing my best to keep my options open, as well as my mind. Appreciate it if you guys could contribute your opinions on this.

Sep 21, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #45,399 of 45,723

With all the new flagships and mid-fi DAPs, given a chance would you guys still get a dated device, in this case, WM1A or a WM1Z? I came across that these said sony devices could be modded with custom firmware by @MrWalkman or modded physically by @Nayparm, to achieve phenomenal performance, sonically.

Sorry if I got misinformed while doing my research. Doing my best to keep my options open, as well as my mind. Appreciate it if you guys could contribute your opinions on this.
Get a used 1A on the sale forum. You get lower price and already burned in. Used the custom software. If you want more performance later on, get it modded. That’s the most cost effective way I think

Or talk to Nayparm; see if you can negotiate something with him directly.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #45,400 of 45,723
For some maybe the walkman WM1 are dated, to others maybe not

Fot me my wm1A is a legend for sont DAP ‐ they were released during sonys 70 anniversary.

I've seen people keep way dated devices e.g. Astell and kern AK 100/100 II/120/120II which dont support DSD and only up to 192KHz

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #45,401 of 45,723

I bought my NW-WM1A about a year ago, haven't regretted it (even without the mods) as it ticks nearly all of the boxes I needed...I told myself at the time I needed to keep it for several years before moving on / replacing and I see no reason to do so at the moment.

Yes, it is a little on the large size for portability purposes (but it just about fits in my top pocket!), sounds great, good touch screen and physical buttons, balanced and SE options, good battery life - doesn't become unbearably hot uniike some other DAPs, easy to load new music, LDAC Bluetooth, has USB out (can play DSD files this way) etc...

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #45,402 of 45,723
The age of the audio device is irrelevant. As long as the audiophile is transported into the music then the device still has value. Sound quality is simply all that matters in the end.

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #45,403 of 45,723
The age of the audio device is irrelevant. As long as the audiophile is transported into the music then the device still has value. Sound quality is simply all that matters in the end.
Exactly, today , many regard DAP as a cellphone that in 2 years must be replaced by a new one, I find this silly on a DAP that has no streaming capabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back