SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #45,377 of 45,723
Well I was considering 1TB
I only use Extreme Pro 256GB as it can store around 200+ Album (1/3 red book FLAC, 1/3 hi-res FLAC, 1/3 DSD) which is more than enough for 2 months listening.
Never consider to put all album in the player as it won’t happen in terms of today storage capacity.

Sep 20, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #45,378 of 45,723
For those who are willing to experiment with or planning to upgrade to the sandisk extreme pro,

I am recommending to perform another two step when you receive your new card to further improve sound quality:

1) Format the card with this tool:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

2) Format the card once more with your walkman OS

Now you can start to transfer music files into card.

In my subjective experience by formating with the tool helps to improve the microsd card's background noise floor.
is quick format with the sd formatter good enough?

Sep 20, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #45,380 of 45,723
is quick format with the sd formatter good enough?

I could not discern an audible difference and I used the full-format. I tried it more from an efficiency stand point. It has the ability to mark and bypass any bad sectors while formatting.

That being said I CAN notice a difference between my Samsung EVO select card and another first gen micro sd card. The Samsung card sounds at least as good as the player's internal memory. The first gen card did not.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #45,381 of 45,723
I luj chameleon a lot
16006248755981961402408569414599.jpg

Sep 20, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #45,382 of 45,723
Depending on the color of the player, some icons can also have different colors. I managed to find out how to change that, it should be a nice little customization option. There will be a little tool to change that.

WM1A can only be black and have the white color from the factory, as well as the WM1Z, but the option works for them too.

screenshot_20160102_182128083.png
screenshot_20160102_182242060.png
screenshot_20160102_182420594.png
screenshot_20160102_182532301.png

Sep 20, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #45,383 of 45,723
Depending on the color of the player, some icons can also have different colors. I managed to find out how to change that, it should be a nice little customization option. There will be a little tool to change that.

WM1A can only be black and have the white color from the factory, as well as the WM1Z, but the option works for them too.

screenshot_20160102_182128083.png screenshot_20160102_182242060.png screenshot_20160102_182420594.png screenshot_20160102_182532301.png

Wicked, love it 😁

Sep 20, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #45,384 of 45,723
Man... @MrWalkman I really don't know what to say to ya. This is a masterpiece. Can't really see anything topping this. It's already been 7-8 hours since I installed your newest fw mods been listening nonstop (started around 8 pm and it's already 3 am right now, I'm at the point where my body is twitching randomly lmao), and frankly I'm still speechless. Not only did you smoothen out the peaks in the treble region but you also made the bass reach this deep (i don't like 3.02 because its bassy but this made me think otherwise)! There is also a SIGNIFICANT amount of detail being unraveled, the kinds I have not been able to hear ever since I sold my Zeus (atm my daily drivers are the CFA atlas on SE with PS silver). There's also the nasty amounts of realism you've injected this mod, (bear with me here) I can differentiate the acoustic chambers of the strings used it's weird I know but its the best I can describe it (there's an apparent difference in the pace of each the string instruments used). There's also the unreal soundstage and imaging, it's a proper 3d experience with pinpoint accuracy (something you cant freely say with the CFA atlas, almost a sin to call it that really lol!). I'm still speechless at this point. Can't sleep because of this fw mod curse thisss lmaoo! But really though, I sincerely thank you for all that you've done for the community! A true breakthrough! It is seriously unbelievable...

Combo: 3.02 Chameleon 2.0 on E (WM1Z switched 1A)
Iem: Campfire Atlas + PSound Silver (SE)

accidentally posted this at a wrong thread due to my excitedness lol!

Sep 20, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #45,386 of 45,723

Not something you “need” to have but very cool aesthetics to have and use customizable colors for our players!
👌🏻

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #45,387 of 45,723

If you can change the EQ colour it will be awesome!!!

Sep 20, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #45,388 of 45,723
After re-evaluating the microsd cards on my ZX2 walkman(initially the cards were evaluated on my zx507), and with more listening, I have to revise my rating.

Subjective rating:
Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB: S
Toshiba Exceria M303 32GB: A+
Sandisk High Endurance 64GB: A
ZX507 Internal Storage with microsd inserted: B+
Adata Premier Pro 128GB: B
Samsung Evo 32GB: C
Lexar 633X 512GB: D
While this list is greatly appreciated, one thing not considered, is that testing on that different DAP, (running Android) would certainly have a different susceptibility to the memory card.
We don't know how the unit's internal sheilding, PSU on that board, and interface is.

Yet, I do think that the driver preformamce inside each card is obviously different.

You have determined that..
Yet wether these differences would be similarly noticeable on the 1a, that is the question.

The flicker most likely has to do with lack of power or a configuration issue
This is an interesting comment. I am thinking weather the increase in battery and also the power cap upgrade, could offset the issue noticed by "one" user.

Screenshot_20200920-111827__01.jpg

:grin: heeeiill NO!:beerchug::stuck_out_tongue:

The only piece of info I received and from the source I consider reliable enough for me to share with you is about the 1A and/or 1Z successor in early 2021. Can't speculate on anything else, sorry.
Well, let's hope they do not go full Android...
The closer it is to the 1a interface, the better for "future upgrades" here...
:grin::grin::grin:

I actually don’t use the IER-Z1R IEMs everyday yet they are actually the most technical and honest IEM I own
Those may have just been de-throned:

:scream::astonished::sweat_smile:

....In the end, it’s just a music player......

......In the end it’s just a hobby....

....If it don’t work then let others’ say so instead of being combative is all I’m saying...
NO... It's not just a music player.
It's an end game choice, at this stage.

NO....it's not just a hobby, it's more of a journey, and also of much money... thousands spent in the search and conquest of music bliss..

The Last NO, is because you have not been in thread early enough to see the whole picture. The issue of reiterating the same install problem for the third time(4th?), which in a nutshell is not actually installing.

TBH, I find suspect when a new mod is pushed at peculiarly the same time a big upgrade is mentioned going to be dropped by Mrwalkman.

It should have been mentioned to be an xml tunning that also require you to go back to the "now" inferior stock firmware just to put it on.
Why not instead, use latest mod firmware?

It would be great if any future XML tunnings would be with the latest moded firmware, instead of regressing away from all the major progress made.

Tunnings are appreciated and nice to have, but not at the expense of loosing the current moded firmware upgrades.
Currently, we already have about 4 options in each firmware.

.... am I correct that the volume sounds a little quieter and gentler, just smoothes out the highs, mids, and lows to make it more cohesive and easier to listen to the ears than the stock 1Z?
This is similar to what I have observed in general, of the differences "in the past" of the 1a & 1z.
The 1z sound is a perception of increased soundstage, which also makes it less forward and more realistic in presentation.
The question is if your IEM can produce the soundstage, as many have "in the head" syndrome with center image (to a certain degree).

Our thread is about sharing so we can all learn from each other but just taking and profiting by Music-Sanctuary with ZERO contribution/sharing is not cool !
Yes, they said in past they used other things in their mod, but they not disclose it.
I have their mod.
It is not a copyright.
I will go over everything done.
Lucky for them I have been totally busy whole summer and delayed my mod plans.
I did compare mine to stock, and do like the 3% sound difference, but I am convinced it was a minimal mod of stock wire upgrade.:grin::grin:

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #45,389 of 45,723
While this list is greatly appreciated, one thing not considered, is that testing on that different DAP, (running Android) would certainly have a different susceptibility to the memory card.
We don't know how the unit's internal sheilding, PSU on that board, and interface is.

Yet, I do think that the driver preformamce inside each card is obviously different.

You have determined that..
Yet wether these differences would be similarly noticeable on the 1a, that is the question.

This is an interesting comment. I am thinking weather the increase in battery and also the power cap upgrade, could offset the issue noticed by "one" user.

:grin: heeeiill NO!:beerchug::stuck_out_tongue:

Well, let's hope they do not go full Android...
The closer it is to the 1a interface, the better for "future upgrades" here...
:grin::grin::grin:

Those may have just been de-throned:

:scream::astonished::sweat_smile:

NO... It's not just a music player.
It's an end game choice, at this stage.

NO....it's not just a hobby, it's more of a journey, and also of much money... thousands spent in the search and conquest of music bliss..

The Last NO, is because you have not been in thread early enough to see the whole picture. The issue of reiterating the same install problem for the third time(4th?), which in a nutshell is not actually installing.

TBH, I find suspect when a new mod is pushed at peculiarly the same time a big upgrade is mentioned going to be dropped by Mrwalkman.

It should have been mentioned to be an xml tunning that also require you to go back to the "now" inferior stock firmware just to put it on.
Why not instead, use latest mod firmware?

It would be great if any future XML tunnings would be with the latest moded firmware, instead of regressing away from all the major progress made.

Tunnings are appreciated and nice to have, but not at the expense of loosing the current moded firmware upgrades.
Currently, we already have about 4 options in each firmware.

This is similar to what I have observed in general, of the differences "in the past" of the 1a & 1z.
The 1z sound is a perception of increased soundstage, which also makes it less forward and more realistic in presentation.
The question is if your IEM can produce the soundstage, as many have "in the head" syndrome with center image (to a certain degree).

Yes, they said in past they used other things in their mod, but they not disclose it.
I have their mod.
It is not a copyright.
I will go over everything done.
Lucky for them I have been totally busy whole summer and delayed my mod plans.
I did compare mine to stock, and do like the 3% sound difference, but I am convinced it was a minimal mod of stock wire upgrade.:grin::grin:

That's a very high recommendation for UM Mest; convince me to get it, hahaha :o2smile:

But seriously, what's so good about the UM Mest? I mean to place it above IER-Z1R sounds incredible

Sep 20, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #45,390 of 45,723
That's a very high recommendation for UM Mest; convince me to get it, hahaha :o2smile:

But seriously, what's so good about the UM Mest? I mean to place it above IER-Z1R sounds incredible
Although the reviewer aludes to tuning of the drivers working well together, and the "bone conduction" adding to the mids, I am starting to think the actual unique improvement may lie in the electrostatic type driver it is using...
:)
Still, from what I have read, the Sony is like the reference point for IEMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back