SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #42,857 of 45,723
I’d love to be able to mod my A45. I use that when I’m travelling sometimes instead of my WM1A

Yep, and especially being able to run the newer version of the WM1's firmware, which runs better than the laggier firmware of the A45. Both players use the same SoC (CPU).

No FM radio though.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #42,858 of 45,723
Totally true about getting longevity by not needing Android updates. Not in fact having player dependent upon past or future updates for functionality is a breath of fresh air. Also strangely the players became able for a faster UI experience with later firmware.

Totally. I don't know what's the experience of those people in the thread who have owned either player for 3+ years, but I'd bet they are as snappy as they were when brand new.

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #42,859 of 45,723
Android devices especially older versions has a tendency to suffer from slowdowns over time, more so if you install many apps. One of the reasons is because of file fragmentation. Manual clearing of cache can help.

https://www.tuxera.com/blog/why-is-my-android-phone-slowing-down/

https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/hotstorage16/hotstorage16_ji.pdf

On the ZX2, you can clear cache by going to:
Settings > Storage > Cached Data (press) > OK

This should resolve the slowdown of the ZX2 in most cases.

A factory reset for ZX2 once in a while should solve all slowdown problems.

Even for modern android smartphones and modern Sony Android Walkman A105 and ZX507, I would recommend downloading Google files from the App store to perform the removing of junk files once in a while. It will restore your android device responsiveness to near factory reset levels.

Thanks a lot for the tip. Not keen on factory reset as it needs to put the music back in the player, which takes a while. But clearing cache and Google files may be a good idea. Gonna give it a shot!

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #42,860 of 45,723
Aug 10, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #42,861 of 45,723
Cheers! :)
A quick Q - 3.5mm out - inner black plastic circle - is it normal that it has just a little
looseness, plays a tad?
This one:
TB2Yty4HKuSBuNjSsplXXbe8pXa_!!77633761.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #42,862 of 45,723
Cheers! :)
A quick Q - 3.5mm out - inner black plastic circle - is it normal that it has just a little
looseness, plays a tad?
This one:
Both ports are able to be wiggling around if your force it to. The mechanism is hook and lock in mechanism. It was implemented for reliability purposes.

Aug 10, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #42,864 of 45,723
So it's pretty useless in my case, isn't it?
Yes, maybe there is a hidden line out? Haha.

It would be one of those old-school adapters like above that you would plug a 3.5mm into?

I don’t think it would be useless, check out this page https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyWMPort and the hacks at the end of the page with links, according to what I searched on the internet, any cable/adaptor can be made if you know the pin diagrams and have access to a DIY 22 pin plug, the one I posted from Japan looks like it.

In all cases, I should have this in a month (my friend ordered five as they are very cheap) and my initial target is to make a digital audio out adaptor, and my ultimate hack would be making a Swiss Army knife board that plugs into Sony WM1A with dip switches to jouce “out and in“ every possible connection on one board.

I have the micro USB and it doesn’t work as anything other than charge and PC connection as a drive, paying for the digital audio out at 60$ was ok for me to do, but I opted instead for this wild experiment.

BTW, I am following hea-fi for so many years, registered 2 years ago when I made a bunch of cables myself which came nice, but then become too lazy to post 😆

For some reason I decided to become active, I learned a lot from all of you here.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #42,865 of 45,723
Line out used to be possible with Zx2. On the WM1A/Z, the engineers eliminated it as it could act like an antenna that absorb noises toward the S-Master. So even if you were to use the Line out WM plug, you won’t be able to get line out. But it could be that the engineers said so because it was not enabled ? There is a dongle for that to use on ZX2, which I don’t remember the name, and it is also WM port dongle

I know that WM1A used the same SOC as DMP and also have dsd remastering features, but it can not be enabled as S-Master is MultiBit where as DSD is 1 bit

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #42,866 of 45,723
Line out used to be possible with Zx2. On the WM1A/Z, the engineers eliminated it as it could act like an antenna that absorb noises toward the S-Master. So even if you were to use the Line out WM plug, you won’t be able to get line out. But it could be that the engineers said so because it was not enabled ? There is a dongle for that to use on ZX2, which I don’t remember the name, and it is also WM port dongle

I know that WM1A used the same SOC as DMP and also have dsd remastering features, but it can not be enabled as S-Master is MultiBit where as DSD is 1 bit

best way to know -at least for me- is to try, as long as I am going to play with ins and out with no USB voltage or power, the chances of breaking my beloved WM1A should stay low.

i will post my findings once I receive the plugs and try these methods. Not soon though

Aug 10, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #42,867 of 45,723
best way to know -at least for me- is to try, as long as I am going to play with ins and out with no USB voltage or power, the chances of breaking my beloved WM1A should stay low.

i will post my findings once I receive the plugs and try these methods. Not soon though

You won't break your WM1a because there are no physical connections inside of the WM1a to the line out pins of the WM Port. There is also no audio in support either although the WM Port has a spec for it.

Aug 10, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #42,868 of 45,723

I should get mine next week, I'm curious as well.

1597095093658.png

Aug 10, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #42,870 of 45,723
You won't break your WM1a because there are no physical connections inside of the WM1a to the line out pins of the WM Port. There is also no audio in support either although the WM Port has a spec for it.

I didn’t know that, I wanted these plugs to do originally a digital line out cable, something like the FiiO L27, any way, when I have the plugs will see if there is no line out option by experimenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back