SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #42,841 of 45,723
Yes, maybe there is a hidden line out? Haha.

It would be one of those old-school adapters like above that you would plug a 3.5mm into?

It's WM Port to 3.5 male, that you can plug into a line in.

I was thinking there might be a chance they just dropped software support for it or something, and manually enabling line out could work.

Aug 9, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #42,842 of 45,723
Haha that's a bit of a loaded question but for a majority of the music I listen to I'd say I'm leaning towards the 1A. I don't have a strong preference but do find that certain tracks are just more enjoyable with the 1A combo.

Do you mean the WM1A with the EX1000 or the WM1A with the IER-Z1R?

Aug 9, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #42,843 of 45,723

I was thinking there might be a chance they just dropped software support for it or something, and manually enabling line out could work.

It’s been argued for pages in this thread as the old way was you never wanted to double amp (two volume controls) so going out the top was that. Then we had some report saying it’s “OK” to do since the quality and “quietness” of the amp?

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #42,845 of 45,723

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/huge-problem.939572/post-15792074

The ultimate single dongle would be the Apple LDAC. Thus we would have LDAC from Apple phones and IPads. Simple LDAC of Apple Lossless to the 1Z/1A would be heaven. But as explained (above) the chip makers see it as a conflict with Bluetooth chips.

E176C015-0C18-43A9-BB85-2DD2C8DC0CB9.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #42,846 of 45,723

Odd if it's a straightforward software add on they decided to drop as lack of line out is listed as a con in reviews. In the future I could benefit from a line out, I don't know how many others would use though.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/post-12993213

From nanaholic's post it seems there may be more to it than software?

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #42,847 of 45,723
Then we had some report saying it’s “OK” to do since the quality and “quietness” of the amp?
On my 1A I am using the 3.5mm out as a line-out a lot and I like how it sounds.
Anyway, now it's the only possible solution to connect 1A to a standard amp/receiver.

Aug 10, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #42,848 of 45,723
I myself got my 1A at the beginning of February of this year, so kind of a bit later as well :L3000: I don't see any wrong in that by the way, as the devices are still being made. My own player was made somewhere in September 2019.

Same here. I got my 1A just a couple of months ago. I'm enjoying it a lot. I happen to think it's a terrific piece of kit, very relevant in 2020. Actually, my experience so far with high price (or perhaps mid price but still expensive) DAPS has been buying at a point when they've been out for quite a while, and thus I've gotten great prices and great products. Moreover, I think 1A, being a non-Android player, gets older better than Android-based players. It doesn't suffer from running on older versions of the OS that get laggy with app updates. My ZX2 has become laggy even if haven't installed any apps (other than Spotify for casual streaming - no Tidal where I live) nor have I installed updates for Google bloatware. So 1A may still have quite some life left in it. Even more so now with all the mods and possibilities that have arisen in this vibrant community (thanks @Morgenstern09 and @MrWalkman!). Still, I'm looking forward to seeing what Sony comes up with next.

Aug 10, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #42,849 of 45,723
SONY has always been a popular electronics brand when I was younger but somehow they somehow lost their way.
Their brand has become overshadowed by Samsung, LG etc. They have been releasing small music players but they never really took off.
Till the last 5years. Suddenly they released some products that is able to rival the territory of high end electronics like AK and Bose.

IMO SONY really gave a push in 4.4mm format, greater output power in DAP and development of Noise Cancelling technology. If not those technology will probably stays the same in the next 10 years without advancement.

Release of DMP-Z1 also opened another window to "Transportable Audio"
Who knew that there are people who have needs for bigger more powerful portable audio device.

Playstation department are also doing quite well listening to their consumer feedbacks.

Speaking of noise cancellation, Sony just released a new firmware for their new XM4:

For those unanware, just recently, there's one shameless company from a certain c*i-fi country which I shall not mention, decided to create a clone of Sony's 1989(31 years ago) MDR-R10 flagship headphones. And they have the audacity to name their product with the same R10 moniker. And yes they are charging what I consider as exorbitantly expensive price for it. I would suggest to get the real McCoy, the modern Sony MDR-Z1R flagship instead of this R10 ripoff.

Like they say Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I guess this goes to shows that Sony is well ahead of other audio or tech companies when it comes to innovation and design.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #42,850 of 45,723
Same here. I got my 1A just a couple of months ago. I'm enjoying it a lot. I happen to think it's a terrific piece of kit, very relevant in 2020. Actually, my experience so far with high price (or perhaps mid price but still expensive) DAPS has been buying at a point when they've been out for quite a while, and thus I've gotten great prices and great products. Moreover, I think 1A, being a non-Android player, gets older better than Android-based players. It doesn't suffer from running on older versions of the OS that get laggy with app updates. My ZX2 has become laggy even if haven't installed any apps (other than Spotify for casual streaming - no Tidal where I live) nor have I installed updates for Google bloatware. So 1A may still have quite some life left in it. Even more so now with all the mods and possibilities that have arisen in this vibrant community (thanks @Morgenstern09 and @MrWalkman!). Still, I'm looking forward to seeing what Sony comes up with next.

Also just got myself two used A45 and A55 players. The A45 player should run the WM1 firmware just fine, as well as ZX300.

Having the A45 would help me test the WM1 firmware on hand. For example, ZX300 runs the WM1 firmware (sound is working), but the touchscreen is not working. As I don't have the ZX300 on hand, I have to rely on other people to test possible fixes, and when I'm excited about something it's harder than usual to wait :D A45 should have the same issue with the touchscreen, and if I'll have the device on hand, I'll be able to quickly test possible fixes. These fixes will also work for the ZX300.

Aug 10, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #42,851 of 45,723

Totally true about getting longevity by not needing Android updates. Not in fact having player dependent upon past or future updates for functionality is a breath of fresh air. Also strangely the players became able for a faster UI experience with later firmware.

Aug 10, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #42,852 of 45,723
Android devices especially older versions has a tendency to suffer from slowdowns over time, more so if you install many apps. One of the reasons is because of file fragmentation. Manual clearing of cache can help.

https://www.tuxera.com/blog/why-is-my-android-phone-slowing-down/

https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/hotstorage16/hotstorage16_ji.pdf

On the ZX2, you can clear cache by going to:
Settings > Storage > Cached Data (press) > OK

This should resolve the slowdown of the ZX2 in most cases.

A factory reset for ZX2 once in a while should solve all slowdown problems.

Even for modern android smartphones and modern Sony Android Walkman A105 and ZX507, I would recommend downloading Google files from the App store to perform the removing of junk files once in a while. It will restore your android device responsiveness to near factory reset levels.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #42,853 of 45,723
Also just got myself two used A45 and A55 players. The A45 player should run the WM1 firmware just fine, as well as ZX300.

Having the A45 would help me test the WM1 firmware on hand. For example, ZX300 runs the WM1 firmware (sound is working), but the touchscreen is not working. As I don't have the ZX300 on hand, I have to rely on other people to test possible fixes, and when I'm excited about something it's harder than usual to wait :D A45 should have the same issue with the touchscreen, and if I'll have the device on hand, I'll be able to quickly test possible fixes. These fixes will also work for the ZX300.

Oh man, if you mod the a45 firmware I would not sell mine, since the modded firmwares, it has stayed in the drawer for the longest. the sound is really good in that little pup, always wondered if there was a way to mod it. how you like it? Kind regards Monsieur Walkman, hehehe or Señor Walkman

Aug 10, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #42,854 of 45,723
Oh man, if you mod the a45 firmware I would not sell mine, since the modded firmwares, it has stayed in the drawer for the longest. the sound is really good in that little pup, always wondered if there was a way to mod it. how you like it? Kind regards Monsieur Walkman, hehehe or Señor Walkman

It will arrive tomorrow. There should definitely be an improvement, I'm curious as well :)

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #42,855 of 45,723
Android devices especially older versions has a tendency to suffer from slowdowns over time, more so if you install many apps. One of the reasons is because of file fragmentation. Manual clearing of cache can help.

https://www.tuxera.com/blog/why-is-my-android-phone-slowing-down/

https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/hotstorage16/hotstorage16_ji.pdf

On the ZX2, you can clear cache by going to:
Settings > Storage > Cached Data (press) > OK

This should resolve the slowdown of the ZX2 in most cases.

A factory reset for ZX2 once in a while should solve all slowdown problems.

Even for modern android smartphones and modern Sony Android Walkman A105 and ZX507, I would recommend downloading Google files from the App store to perform the removing of junk files once in a while. It will restore your android device responsiveness to near factory reset levels.

Android devices can and do slow down, equally if the OEM does their homework it shouldn't be an issue. I've two Android phones one has been up for close to 1K hours the other over 5K hours without any slowdown. Both have automated cleaning and maintenance, only time I restart is if there's a system update.

Q-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back