SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #42,886 of 45,723
Out of the box its tight! But with time and use and ware and tear. It does losen. As I understood it is a normal thing it should not break. Some daps had more wiggle then others ...

A while back I was going to have a Walkman mod company put in a new 3.5mm socket, then I discovered it was simply a short in a cheap cable. The place told me that the sockets were of a basically random amount of play. But you answer makes sense as why would they sell new Walkmans with jiggling sockets? Glad it doesn’t affect sound quality. :)

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #42,887 of 45,723
Sony batteries are unkillable ! Just enable the battery care feature and late your 1a live a free life !
Yep, mate! :) Indeed, It's a Sony and now I have a luxury of not caring much about the battery.
It's a good feeling after battery/charger bugs on a Questyle 1R and very short bat. life on Multibit DAPs.

Aug 11, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #42,888 of 45,723
@MrWalkman just a question about Chamelon Fw. I know that to going back to stock Fw I just need to be sure to switch the player to the original model (A or Z) and then just install the stock Fw of choice but, what would happen if I install the Stock Fw with the player unswitched to the original model?
It will brick the player? Just curious about that.
Thanks!

Aug 11, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #42,889 of 45,723
@MrWalkman just a question about Chamelon Fw. I know that to going back to stock Fw I just need to be sure to switch the player to the original model (A or Z) and then just install the stock Fw of choice but, what would happen if I install the Stock Fw with the player unswitched to the original model?
Thanks!
No it won’t brick the player at all. You’ll just be loading the external tuning for that model. So if you have a 1A and changed using model switcher to 1Z, the firmwares will load external tuning for 1Z.

Aug 11, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #42,890 of 45,723
Thanks!

It won't brick the player, but it might make it unrecognizeable by the destination tool for example - you can still install any stock or modded firmware.

Fixing it could be done by reinstalling the firmware again (CHAMELEON or WM1A/Z+) and just switching the model.

In cases where you forgot to switch back the model, installed stock, then installed one of the firmware mods again and used the switch option, the switch option will actually "fix" the unrecognizeable device issue with the destination tool, reverting the model to the original one for your device.

But all this seemingly "complicated" stuff can be avoided just by remembering to switch back the model, as part of the instructions.

There is no risk of bricking the player at all by using any of the two firmwares. Bricking is something serious and I would have mentioned it. The unrecognizeable device issue is really nothing serious, and fixable really easy. I just hoped people could follow some simple instructions and we won't have to come to that issue.

Edit: Maybe I'll just make a small update for people who forget to switch the model back and get their device not recognized by the destination tool, like the Certificates images restoring update.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #42,891 of 45,723
It won't brick the player, but it might make it unrecognizeable by the destination tool for example - you can still install any stock or modded firmware.

Fixing it could be done by reinstalling the firmware again (CHAMELEON or WM1A/Z+) and just switching the model.

In cases where you forgot to switch back the model, installed stock, then installed one of the firmware mods again and used the switch option, the switch option will actually "fix" the unrecognizeable device issue with the destination tool, reverting the model to the original one for your device.

But all this seemingly "complicated" stuff can be avoided just by remembering to switch back the model, as part of the instructions.

There is no risk of bricking the player at all by using any of the two firmwares. Bricking is something serious and I would have mentioned it. The unrecognizeable device issue is really nothing serious, and fixable really easy. I just hoped people could follow some simple instructions and we won't have to come to that issue.

Edit: Maybe I'll just make a small update for people who forget to switch the model back and get their device not recognized by the destination tool, like the Certificates images restoring update.
How do I use the tool you gave me to switch regions? I am having a hell of a time figuring it out :cry::cry::cry:
Help please, I just finished my 1A mod and need to tune the sound.

Aug 11, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #42,892 of 45,723
How do I use the tool you gave me to switch regions? I am having a hell of a time figuring it out :cry::cry::cry:
Help please, I just finished my 1A mod and need to tune the sound.

Just follow the instructions in the post from my signature, please.

There is no need for any additional tool, the model switching is done from inside the Settings, and destination change is done with the classic destination tool from Rockbox.

The tool you're mentioning (Region Changer) was only meant to let you install tunings made for a region on a player from another region. It's really "useful" only for testing Cerberus on EU/JP devices, but people like RobertP, for example, are "advertising" installing Cerberus using invalid/not working ways anyway, like the XML swapping which is just not working like he (and maybe others) thinks it does.

As the region changer is really of no actual use otherwise and it can confuse people rather than helping them, I removed it from the post and from the Google Drive folder. If you really have a use of it, PM me with the details.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #42,893 of 45,723
those of you who love , brilliant, scorching , kick-ass old-school funk - this is the greatest funk band you have never heard of

personally speaking, these guys are top-5 funk stuff in my mind (and i have heard LOTS of funk)

You can check them out on Deezer , here

https://www.deezer.com/us/artist/2460

if you like Bootsy Collins , Parliament Funkadelic , Graham Central Station - do yourself a favor and buy this fantastic '5-albums-in-1-package' bundle , this is a Rhino reissue so you know the sound is great

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/4559644?ev=rb

https://www.amazon.com/Slave-Original-Album/dp/B005POVG8G

R-4559644-1596016359-1757.jpeg.jpg

Aug 11, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #42,894 of 45,723
those of you who love , brilliant, scorching , kick-ass old-school funk - this is the greatest funk band you have never heard of

personally speaking, these guys are top-5 funk stuff in my mind (and i have heard LOTS of funk)

You can check them out on Deezer , here

https://www.deezer.com/us/artist/2460

if you like Bootsy Collins , Parliament Funkadelic , Graham Central Station - do yourself a favor and buy this fantastic '5-albums-in-1-package' bundle , this is a Rhino reissue so you know the sound is great

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/4559644?ev=rb

https://www.amazon.com/Slave-Original-Album/dp/B005POVG8G

R-4559644-1596016359-1757.jpeg.jpg

Cheers for the tip, sounds good! I will check them out.

Aug 11, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #42,895 of 45,723
Cheers for the tip, sounds good! I will check them out.

if you like old school funk / the giants i mention in the previous post, then Slave is a must-listen

every song on these albums slays , and the best thing about them : they have zero corny ballads (which has always been the Achilles' heel of funk albums in general)

Aug 11, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #42,897 of 45,723
May 1Z / 1A / ZX-507 owner confirm if your dap can play and fully unfold local MQA file ?

some demo MQA files can be download from
http://www.2l.no/hires/

TIA

Yes. For example, I downloaded the second file from your link (Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue in D minor, BWV 903: Fantasia - Christian Grøvlen).

screenshot_20200811_142007553.png

Aug 11, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #42,898 of 45,723
Yep, mate! :) Indeed, It's a Sony and now I have a luxury of not caring much about the battery.
It's a good feeling after battery/charger bugs on a Questyle 1R and very short bat. life on Multibit DAPs.

How does the WM1A sound compared to the QP1R? I have no other reference than the Questyle daps.

Aug 11, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #42,899 of 45,723
Back to upscaling music. Using my desktop build and HQplayer Desktop. I can say that a proper Digital filter with great Tap Length is very heavy processing and it does sound great. My PC is built for this purposes (Performances and passive coolant with Music fidelity built in mind) but the heat it generates is a killer

Filter being used is : Sinc-M (1 Million Tap Length)
Upscaling upward to 192Khz (IIS limitations atm But build with PinkFaun OCXO clock)
Off load processing with CuDa
Dithering: None

What I will be interested in to see, is to try DSEEHX at full scale on desktop and compare to HQplayer, and observe if it really is as good as Sony claimed it to be.
At the moment, I still don’t understand how AI can help processing and upscaling music without too much power (resources and consumption) If done correctly
13043429-BC96-489A-A9D1-3CBDAF466C16.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #42,900 of 45,723
Back to upscaling music. Using my desktop build and HQplayer Desktop. I can say that a proper Digital filter with great Tap Length is very heavy processing and it does sound great. My PC is built for this purposes (Performances and passive coolant with Music fidelity built in mind) but the heat it generates is a killer

Filter being used is : Sinc-M (1 Million Tap Length)
Upscaling upward to 192Khz (IIS limitations atm But build with PinkFaun OCXO clock)
Off load processing with CuDa
Dithering: None

What I will be interested in to see, is to try DSEEHX at full scale on desktop and compare to HQplayer, and observe if it really is as good as Sony claimed it to be.
At the moment, I still don’t understand how AI can help processing and upscaling music without too much power (resources and consumption) If done correctly

I know nothing except armchair AI study. I have seen photographs AI enhanced where it somehow knows what needs to be added to generate a sharper photograph. And while these photographs look natural they can look slightly like drawings in places, like computer animation almost in the most obvious areas, like reflections in the eyes.

My idea is that it may not end up as much in real-time but AI will work on a piece of music and save it as a file that can be played back in real-time? That way the process can be slower?

This is an AI drawing from scratch so this woman does not exist.

2718B809-D8C7-494A-9DA8-5DF2C507C761.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back