SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #38,116 of 45,723
How interesting, I looked @morgenstern09 tune and I don't see any difference in files structure. If my works, his should works too. All my PC version tunes were build in Windows 10 btw.

May 25, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #38,117 of 45,723
How interesting, I looked @morgenstern09 tune and I don't see any difference in files structure. If my works, his should works too. All my PC version tunes were build in Windows 10 btw.

Yes, exactly, that's why it's so weird. Maybe I'm using some different version of WinRAR (using the latest) that maybe has a different SFX module than usual or something?

It's also weird that even for me, the antivirus doesn't detect all tunings as malicious.

You could use Sandboxie to run a program safely in a protected "box", without needing to install a whole virtual machine. Any viruses would only do changes in that box, and not to your computer. I am just not sure if USB works, I never tried it.

May 25, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #38,118 of 45,723
Which IEM’s do you think are musical with the 1A, if the player allows for such an output?
That is a rabbit hole if ever there was one - I loved my AK T8ie mkII - search for posts from me in the past 3 years and a helluva lot of them will be me praising them...

step forward to a couple of weeks ago, me coming back to this thread after a hiatus, seeing all the possibilities with tuning the players, I was like a child in a sweet shop.

on my travels around YouTube I came across the FiiO FH7 review by @Currawong - I decided to buy them, knowing they’re half the price of the AK and also my RHA CL2, and a fifth of the price off my JH Layla, I was cynical but having lockdown fever and hit the buy button anyway...

totally glad that I did, without going into full blown review territory, the bass (as a simplistic viewpoint) on the FH7 is totally different, organic, deeper, richer - than my other premium IEMs - I’m in seventh heaven with the whole soundspace - and, these have proven to me once and for all that just because something is cheap (relatively speaking) it doesn’t mean it is going to be a technical failure...

beauty is unfortunately, in the ear of the beholder

May 25, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #38,119 of 45,723
Well, I just made the comparison between Autumn+ and Solis (which seems to be the final fw showdown). I had not tried Solis until now and I'll start by saying that I immediately understood it's appeal. Very detailed and balanced tuning. I came back to Autumn+ and realized why I like it so much. It's punch in the bass section and overall musicality has no contest. Sure it loses a tiny bit of detail in the mids, but the drums sound too damn perfect for these ears. I'm staying with Autumn+.

May 25, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #38,120 of 45,723
That is a rabbit hole if ever there was one - I loved my AK T8ie mkII - search for posts from me in the past 3 years and a helluva lot of them will be me praising them...

step forward to a couple of weeks ago, me coming back to this thread after a hiatus, seeing all the possibilities with tuning the players, I was like a child in a sweet shop.

on my travels around YouTube I came across the FiiO FH7 review by @Currawong - I decided to buy them, knowing they’re half the price of the AK and also my RHA CL2, and a fifth of the price off my JH Layla, I was cynical but having lockdown fever and hit the buy button anyway...

totally glad that I did, without going into full blown review territory, the bass (as a simplistic viewpoint) on the FH7 is totally different, organic, deeper, richer - than my other premium IEMs - I’m in seventh heaven with the whole soundspace - and, these have proven to me once and for all that just because something is cheap (relatively speaking) it doesn’t mean it is going to be a technical failure...

beauty is unfortunately, in the ear of the beholder
Lots of good points there. The FiiO M6 works awesome with the MDR-1AM2 and the IER-Z1R. It’s my portable player on the go and after learning more about my research, the WH-1000XM3 also work great with the 1A and FiiO M6. It’s been audio heaven for me :)

May 25, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #38,121 of 45,723
Well, I just made the comparison between Autumn+ and Solis (which seems to be the final fw showdown). I had not tried Solis until now and I'll start by saying that I immediately understood it's appeal. Very detailed and balanced tuning. I came back to Autumn+ and realized why I like it so much. It's punch in the bass section and overall musicality has no contest. Sure it loses a tiny bit of detail in the mids, but the drums sound too damn perfect for these ears. I'm staying with Autumn+.

Those 2 are my favourite tunings and it is hard to chose as they bring different things to the table but I’m leaning towards Solis

May 25, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #38,122 of 45,723
In general, how many hours do people play their 1A between charges? 15 to 22 hours?

May 25, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #38,123 of 45,723
May 25, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #38,124 of 45,723
May 25, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #38,125 of 45,723
In general, how many hours do people play their 1A between charges? 15 to 22 hours?

20+ hours plus 7 days stand by. I never turn it off and charge every Sunday. This on a 1Z but there should be no difference

May 25, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #38,126 of 45,723
20+ hours plus 7 days stand by. I never turn it off and charge every Sunday. This on a 1Z but there should be no difference
Hmm... I'm on 14 hours and it's already on the last bar, but not flashing yet. Wondering if the high gain is the reason as I now switched it off. Brightness is 20 and all DSP is off with battery saver mode on

May 25, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #38,127 of 45,723
Hmm... I'm on 14 hours and it's already on the last bar, but not flashing yet. Wondering if the high gain is the reason as I now switched it off. Brightness is 20 and all DSP is off with battery saver mode on

High gain should not matter. I have screen on 1 and use the screen very little, nfc and bt disabled, source direct, battery saver on, play 16/44 flac. Balanced high gain 50 to IER-Z1R

May 25, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #38,128 of 45,723
I do all of that minus the screen brightness. Ok. Set it to one. Thanks for the feedback. Should I deplete it just one time to zero to see how far the battery goes or just charge it as soon as it flashes?

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #38,129 of 45,723
I do all of that minus the screen brightness. Ok. Set it to one. Thanks for the feedback. Should I deplete it just one time to zero to see how far the battery goes or just charge it as soon as it flashes?

Also if you read the thread there is a battery reset procedure that folks do every couple years. You let the player go to zero. Before though make sure you take and switch off the battery saver, which only allows a 90% charge. Then you try and turn on the player. Normally at this battery point they will go back on one or two times. After that the player will not turn on. You then set it up for a full charge to 100%. You also want to make sure this process does not get interrupted. Next turn on your player and set the battery saver feature back on.

Many of us use screen brightness one.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #38,130 of 45,723
After a couple of weeks with the WM1Z, a week with the MDR-1DR and a long weekend to the TA-1ZHES, some general thoughts.

Around 400 hours burn-on on the 1Z (50/50 split between balanced and SE) now and the character has totally changed. The overly thick bass has moderated and tightened-up. The treble has sharpened somewhat - is this the DAP adapting, the headphones changing, or maybe my brain re-wiring, who knows, but it's much more balanced now, but still favouring the bass end.

The addition of the TA-1 was a revelation. This amp makes the MDR's absolutely shimmer. The general characteristics are the same a direct from the DAP, but there's a wider presence, like the music has more life to it, has been gold-plated, something, but it's glorious. TBH, it's hard to go back to the 1Z alone... The bass is even more tamed and tighter too, treble is a bit brighter. Might be the on-the-fly DSD remastering that performing this magic?

I was still feeling that mids were a bit recessed, in particular, for some recordings, vocals seemed a somewhat lost in the mix (with the exception of opera, where it's just glorious), so I did some comparison with my iPhone and AirPods Pro's. My conclusion was that the mix is the same, but the details and separation from the various instrument as presented by the Sony puts them more up-front, giving the impression that the vocals are diminished, but it's not the case.

And for the record, the iPhone/AirPod Pro combination sounds pretty poor by comparison, although I intend to continue using them as my work/walking solution or the moment as it's is practical.

Along the same lines, I reconnected the WM-1000XM3 that I hadn't used for a couple of weeks and yeah, the bass is uncontrollable. This is a shame as otherwise they're very decent, comfortable, with excellent NR, but oh, that bass! It's somewhat better with the LDAC connection, but still too much and AFAIK, no way to EQ this unless you're playing via phone with Sony app - would be nice if you could alter the characteristics in the headphone itself that would be utilised for any device.

So those are going back to Amazon...

Now musing over cable upgrades. Probably need this more for the Shure SE846, which are stuck on SE for the moment. Need a balanced cable for these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back