SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #38,101 of 45,723
Too bad, man.

They are packed exactly the same way, and they work fine on my computer, and not only. I have no idea what could be wrong on your computer.
No problem, I will change back my malware setting to medium. I am happy with current firmware :D Cheers.

May 25, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #38,102 of 45,723
Japan Tourist Edition is what I have, not sure about warranty, but normally it’s called Sony International Warranty? By the way, that price is amazing! It will be a U region model.

Cheers!
I just listened to a FLAC file that was 24 bit and 96Hz vs an MP3 that had 320 kbps with my 1A and IER-Z1R and could tell no real world difference. I kept going through the most detailed percussion and acoustic parts but it sounded the same. Is that common for music? It was the exact same song, but in both cases despite not sounding different that means they both sounded awesome. If FLAC files and such are overrated then perhaps just keeping MP3 files at 320 kbps to reduce storage consumption and increase battery durability would be the way to go?

May 25, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #38,103 of 45,723
No problem, I will change back my malware setting to medium. I am happy with current firmware :D Cheers.

By the way, I was mentioning that I submitted the detection as false positive, to Microsoft, and they confirmed it was, for anyone who had any worries.

1590389188370.png

May 25, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #38,104 of 45,723
By the way, I was mentioning that I submitted the detection as false positive, to Microsoft, and they confirmed it was, for anyone who had any worries.

1590389188370.png
Yes, I did submit false positive to Avast, then i unticked fix automatically, so i can "get exception" into my Avast virus chest. But too bad, still unable to run the executive file.

May 25, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #38,105 of 45,723
Yes, I did submit false positive to Avast, then i unticked fix automatically, so i can "get exception" into my Avast virus chest. But too bad, still unable to run the executive file.
windows 10 has other programs in the background blocking it. I think its Defender (ironic because the whole operating system itself is a spyware)
Microsoft's shenanigans forced me to go back to 7.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #38,107 of 45,723
Defender should be automatically disabled if another antivirus program is installed, but I didn't use another one except Defender for a long time already, so I don't know how it is these days.
It doesn't work that way, I had to bypass it on a friend's computer, and I remember it being a major pain in the @$$. Had to find instructions online. it's very counterintuitive.

May 25, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #38,108 of 45,723
It doesn't work that way, I had to bypass it on a friend's computer, and I remember it being a major pain in the @$$. Had to find instructions online. it's very counterintuitive.
Weird. I had windows defender off but Malwarebytes was on and I had no problems. Maybe try that? Good luck and hope it works out

May 25, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #38,109 of 45,723
I just listened to a FLAC file that was 24 bit and 96Hz vs an MP3 that had 320 kbps with my 1A and IER-Z1R and could tell no real world difference. I kept going through the most detailed percussion and acoustic parts but it sounded the same. Is that common for music? It was the exact same song, but in both cases despite not sounding different that means they both sounded awesome. If FLAC files and such are overrated then perhaps just keeping MP3 files at 320 kbps to reduce storage consumption and increase battery durability would be the way to go?

This subject is controversial at this time. Also of course we as human always have conformation bias (attitudes)....which always color our true objectivity of sound. The whole Sony marketing with DSEE HX is it’s ability to enhance MP3 kbps files. Keep in mind though too, that the marketing is such that it’s touted that 16bit/44.1kHz also get the treatment up-scaling them too to a 24bit character.

When interviewed (which the site is now down) the Sony engineers went on to explain “some files react”....which basically explains at times it works and at times it is a wash. Many are purists in audio, I am. A purist standpoint is less in-front. Meaning no vinyl process, no DESEE HX. No EQ, and no normalizer. Though the DSD upscale on the Sony TA-ZH1ES seems to really work. I’ve just recently been able to now with “J” region remove all EQ all the time on all IEMs and headphones, players and amps; so for many that has been an end goal. Even though we don’t judge others for liking EQ, believe that EQ adds distortions in areas. Many believe “Direct Source (Direct)” bypassing everything is the way to go with the Walkmans, yet there is no right or wrong.

The basis is the understanding that if everything is the best it can be 320 will sound better too and they do. In my uses 24bit and at times DSD and 48kHz do make a difference. But the recording and the issue of the recording (the file version) make more difference. I would rather have a well done 320 remaster than the original in DSD if the remaster was added dynamic range. But also realize I’m maybe odd, in that I would also rather take brickwalled loud modern recordings over CD first pressings 60% of the time. In short it’s a example by example issue.

Typically 24bit seems to add more air, better imaging than regular 16/44.1 files to me. But again it depends on the system tone too. Meaning I have a first edition CD that sounds better at times especially if the system I’m using has thick bass, and the new remaster is more of a V shaped remix.

A lot of this is the player and the IEMs, as well as the listener’s learning curve on learning to spot improvement. If benefits are even there they are small, and if you were not experienced to recognize them you may miss them. Also keep in mind most of this level of perception doesn’t happen in public but in a quiet dark room. Because we learn to value the most sound quality possible then we may value even an extra small %? But my reference recordings that I use all the time to test firmware, IEMs, players and regions are all 24bit. Some songs I have listened to almost every day for years. This listening process can even be like sports where you warm up your ears and brain before the event.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #38,110 of 45,723
This subject is controversial at this time. Also of course we as human always have conformation bias (attitudes)....which always color our true objectivity of sound. The whole Sony marketing with DSEE HX is it’s ability to enhance MP3 kbps files. Keep in mind though too, that the marketing is such that it’s touted that 16bit/44.1kHz also get the treatment up-scaling them too to a 24bit character.

When interviewed (which the site is now down) the Sony engineers went on to explain “some files react”....which basically explains at times it works and at times it is a wash. Many are purists in audio, I am. A purist standpoint was less in-front. Meaning no vinyl process, no DESEE HX. No EQ, and no normalizer. Though the DSD upscale on the Sony TA-ZH1ES seems to really work. I’ve just recently been able to now with “J” region remove all EQ all the time on all IEMs and headphones, players and amps; so for many that has been an end goal. Even though we don’t judge others for liking EQ, believe that EQ adds distortions in areas. Many believe “Processor Direct” is the way to go with the Walkmans, yet there is no right or wrong.

The basis is the understanding that if everything is the best it can be 320 will sound better too and they do. In my uses 24bit and at times DSD and 48kHz so make a difference. But the recording and the issue of the recording (the file version) make more difference. I would rather have a well done 320 remaster than the original in DSD if the remaster was added dynamic range. But also realize I’m maybe odd, in that I would also rather take brickwalled loud modern recordings over CD first pressings 60% of the time. In short it’s a example by example issue.

Typically 24bit seems to add more air, better imaging than regular 16/44.1 files to me. But again it depends on the system tone too. Meaning I have a first edition CD that sounds better at times especially if the system I’m using has thick bass, and the new remaster is more of a V shaped remix.

A lot of this is the player and the IEMs, as well as the listener’s learning curve on learning to spot improvement. If benefits are even there they are small, and if you were not experienced to recognize them you may miss them. Also keep in mind most of this level of perception doesn’t happen in public but in a quiet dark room. Because we learn to value the most sound quality possible then we may value even an extra small %? But my reference recordings that I use all the time to test firmware, IEMs, players and regions are all 24bit. Some songs I listened to almost every day for years. This listening process can even be like sports where you warm up your ears and brain before the event.
I was laying down in my room with no one home when I listened to them and did not use any DSP. I tried both high and low gain and still couldn’t discern the difference. At the same time, I think having the FLAC file may be helpful in the future so I can train my ear more. I played piano for 10 years and developed some music training in trying some improv. So I had wondered if my musical experiences might help, not a professional by any means. That’s why I wanted people’s feedback as I’m still trying to get the nuances in but they are very hard to pick up. Of course I noticed a big difference in quality when I used the IER-M9 and those weren’t to my liking. But the 1A is certainly a better player than I realized. Just makes me appreciate it more

May 25, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #38,111 of 45,723
I was laying down in my room with no one home when I listened to them and did not use any DSP. I tried both high and low gain and still couldn’t discern the difference. At the same time, I think having the FLAC file may be helpful in the future so I can train my ear more. I played piano for 10 years and developed some music training in trying some improv. So I had wondered if my musical experiences might help, not a professional by any means. That’s why I wanted people’s feedback as I’m still trying to get the nuances in but they are very hard to pick up. Of course I noticed a big difference in quality when I used the IER-M9 and those weren’t to my liking. But the 1A is certainly a better player than I realized. Just makes me appreciate it more

The old old way to think about 320kbps was that FLAC has more bass. You hardly ever hear people talk that way anymore. But even if people never notice the difference between 320 and FLAC doesn’t mean they don’t have fantastic ears. There is actually more we don’t know than what we know concerning the psychological aspects of hearing. There are ideas that we truly only perceive 50% of the world. The other half is from our subconscious. So it’s very hard to filter out audiophile truths from non-truths. Though I would suggest keeping a library in FLAC as you never know if a day will come to where you totally can tell all the time.....or at least with certain headphones and files?

Cheers!

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #38,112 of 45,723
The old old way to think about 320kbps was that FLAC has more bass. You hardly ever hear people talk that way anymore. But even if people never notice the difference between 320 and FLAC doesn’t mean they don’t have fantastic ears. There is actually more we don’t now than what we know concerning the psychological aspects of hearing. There are ideas that we truly only perceive 50% of the world. The other half is from our subconscious. So it’s very hard to filter out audiophile truths from non-truths. Though I would suggest keeping a library in FLAC as you never know if a day will come to where you totally can tell all the time.....or at least with certain headphones and files?

Cheers!
Yup. Having a 4TB hard drive was purchased so I could have music files even in large formats. Thank you very much and cheers as well.

May 25, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #38,113 of 45,723

Also I think people should gravitate towards an IEM that’s musical. It’s typically a combination of technically and (anti-technicality) musical sound replay distortion which makes something musical and able to sit down and play multiple genres and albums in a row? The systems that I had that were recording quality microscopes were not fun. Hard to imagine but a big part of the Walkman success (I think) is musicality at the expense of clarity. They are a balance.....maybe?

Most of the time it’s maybe tone? Tone of Walkman firmwares and tone of the IEM? Tone beats out over resolving power and the ability to discern file quality. IMO

May 25, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #38,114 of 45,723
Also I think people should gravitate towards an IEM that’s musical. It’s typically a combination of technically and (anti-technicality) musical sound replay distortion which makes something musical and able to sit down and play multiple genres and albums in a row? The systems that I had that were recording quality microscopes were not fun. Hard to imagine but a big part of the Walkman success (I think) is musicality at the expense of clarity. They are a balance.....maybe?

Most of the time it’s maybe tone? Tone of Walkman firmwares and tone of the IEM? Tone beats out over resolving power and the ability to discern file quality. IMO
Which IEM’s do you think are musical with the 1A, if the player allows for such an output?

May 25, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #38,115 of 45,723
Which IEM’s do you think are musical with the 1A, if the player allows for such an output?

I actually haven’t heard all that many IEMs. I live in an area far from shops so I can’t really say. Though the last couple of years I did travel, and tried some, though not many.

Due to firmware changes and region tone changes making the 1A nearer the 1Z tone, I don’t think it’s exactly finding different IEMs, with some special for the 1A. If someone liked an IEM on the 1A they would also find it fine with the 1Z. I’m using Jupiter301 T1 “J” on the 1A and “J” stock 3.02 firmware on the 1Z.

Also IEMs are going to be major and the DAP character secondary to arrival at a tone you can simply forget about and play albums with.

Also there has been so many (firmware-region-sound-changes) with the 1A that it’s not a subject I have experience with. I did try the Universal 64Audio N8, but I read the custom (which is all they offer) is very bass centered? The Universal was nice with the 1A. Also the qdc Anole VX was spectacular with my 1A. Also the IER-Z1R which you own. I am kind-of down the rabbit-hole with the Noble Encore Universal. So to me the IER-Z1R is technically better, but I use the Encore more? Though everyone has different hearing. I’m 58 and have been to a lot of concerts and been in bands, so I have had a lot of amplifiers in my face, probably getting me less treble sensitivity. With that said, it’s difficult and personal which IEM would work. They seem to come out with more every month. But after a while you can kind of know what would work. For me the Noble Katana was a little straight laced and calm, where it’s twin release the Encore was more fun. But also I have other IEMs that get used less that are totally fun with the 1A, the XBA-Z5 comes to mind. Though the XBA-Z5 needs an aftermarket cable and even then doesn’t sit in the ear that well, but it’s cool. I’ve have heard a bunch of IEMs in a way but I almost forget them if didn’t like them. Heard the CA Atlas, whole qdc line, many of the 64Audio...DITA ..lots of Chi-Fi, Noble Khan. I’m probably curious about the Empire Ears line? I mean stuff like the IER-Z1R adds some low end authority which to me makes the 1A signature close to perfect?

If you know someone who likes forward midrange response IEMs and your more of a V or U response, then none of their IEMs are musical. That’s really how it goes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back