SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #38,056 of 45,723
Wow. I just saw in your signature that you have both the 1A and 1Z? What is your reasoning behind it? Positive asking :)

Well, I kinda thought the 1Z would be like a desktop DAC/amp and might be better because no interconnections, and was trying to get away from computers and transports. And.....it was OK on a short demo. Though after burn-in of aspects both mental/player the results were special. :)

So I thought heck, I should get a 1A to maybe walk around with? It’s ended up a nice contrast and has slowly improved with firmwares and region changes. Though the 1A ended up staying at home too. The two somehow are complementary with showing contrasting personalities? Both players were on stock U region for the last month or two with Jupiter301 T1, but now both in J region and only the 1A has Jupiter301 T1, 1Z has stock 3.02.

Maybe the best part of the story is using one for awhile then switching over and having a different sound to appreciate? The 1A is by far the better deal, and the best player for the money I feel of the Sony line. Haven’t heard the new Android players from Sony but the rest including even the ZX300 maybe......don’t get near the 1A. IMO But strangely the players can drift farther away in performance from one another then even drift closer. Just when you think/guess the 1A is at the 1Z’s doorstep, the 1Z changes and walks away again? So owning both may be almost a good style of confusion?

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #38,057 of 45,723
Thank-you, good to know. I thought you were using 3.02, though I guess I do need to try Solis again as I never used it with “J”.

Cheers!
Where can i try solis? I can't find any links

May 24, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #38,060 of 45,723
or get windows antivirus haha i wont detect anithing not even if its malware lol

Windows Defender also prevents the download, at least on Win10

May 24, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #38,061 of 45,723
Last word on the Shure SRH1840s with the WM1A. They're probably going back. The precision, clarity, soundstage and separation were incredible. But these are truly neutral headphones, and with a fairly neutral sounding DAP, the sound is just a bit too thin, dry, and unexciting. They lacked that "wow" factor I get from the SE846s, and am thinking that they would probably sound better with a headphone amp which I'm not willing to invest in at this point. I ordered the HD660s as they're on sale now ($399USD) and will give those a try.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #38,062 of 45,723
After trying most of the different custom FWs (tunings) I settled back on stock 3.02 J region on my 1Z. This combo with the ier Z1r is pretty hard to beat in my opinion.

Same here, 3.0 works best for my 1Z/ex1000. Best tonality and timbre.

Sony did a great job on those stock fw's:)

Maybe next new update due in August, like last year?

May 24, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #38,064 of 45,723
Newbie question: when you use a headphone amp with the WM1A, do you lose any of the distinctive Sony sound signature? or is it retained, with just added ampage?

If you connect via the 3.5 or 4.4 you maintain the sig of the player but depending on the amp it may add it’s own sig as well

May 24, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #38,066 of 45,723
what is an example of an amp that would not change the SS?
Good luck trying to find the right specs. Sounds like your ears are VERY picky. But everyone has their own taste.

May 24, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #38,067 of 45,723
what is an example of an amp that would not change the SS?

I don’t know, it’s been many years since I’ve been into amps (apart from the Sony TA amp/dac I have not bought an amp since the RSA SR-71B 8 years ago), so I have no idea about the market today

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #38,068 of 45,723
Good luck trying to find the right specs. Sounds like your ears are VERY picky. But everyone has their own taste.
was wondering what you were thinking of when you suggested my ears were VERY picky? Was it because I was asking about headphone amps? or was it my critique of the Shure SRH1840s?

May 24, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #38,069 of 45,723
was wondering what you were thinking of when you suggested my ears were VERY picky? Was it because I was asking about headphone amps? or was it my critique of the Shure SRH1840s?
Multiple setups and the sound signature that people desire. I see how diverse people’s setups are with the headphones in this thread and I appreciate how people want to strive for something better to suit their audio needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back