SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #38,026 of 45,723
Noble Audio Kaiser 10 Encore IEM Universal (Sony Clear Silicone Hybrid Tips)(HanSound Audio ZENTOO 4 wire OCC litz copper cable terminated 4.4mm)
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/noble-audio-kaiser-encore.22120/reviews#review-22519

Sony NW-WM1Z Digital Audio Player (Japanese Tourist Edition) Japan Region and Stock 3.02 firmware

Love the looks of those Encores but unfortunately they (and many other bigger IEMs) don't fit my ears comfortably. I'm also running stock 3.02 on my Japanese unit for now, but will probably dabble with some of the mods on these threads at some point.

May 23, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #38,027 of 45,723
Love the looks of those Encores but unfortunately they (and many other bigger IEMs) don't fit my ears comfortably. I'm also running stock 3.02 on my Japanese unit for now, but will probably dabble with some of the mods on these threads at some point.

I spent two years without good fit with them. I’m from a heavy make-do upbringing. Which means if you purchased something, you make it work-out. Hence on a side note I did use it less, until I found the extra large Sony Silicone Hybrid Clear Tips. At that point the tips moved the IEM away from my ear and I achieved perfect fit. You could always get a CIEM of them made? But my story is unusual I guess. I thought they were fitting me, but they only fit half-way before, which meant they would move and need to be adjusted and were always sound compromised.

May 23, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #38,028 of 45,723
i think that Loud Gain also gives a bump to the mid-bass region, whereas Low Gain just focuses on the low bass region

again , all these options are there so that everyone can find the sound that resonates best with him , this is the great thing about sound there is no right/wrong only like/don't like
I spent two years without good fit with them. I’m from a heavy make-do upbringing. Which means if you purchased something, you make it work-out. Hence on a side note I did use it less, until I found the extra large Sony Silicone Hybrid Clear Tips. At that point the tips moved the IEM away from my ear and I achieved perfect fit. You could always get a CIEM of them made? But my story is unusual I guess. I thought they were fitting me, but they only fit half-way before, which meant they would move and need to be adjusted and were always sound compromised.
I learned Tips are more important than what everyone thinks thats my 2 cents..

May 23, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #38,029 of 45,723
I learned Tips are more important than what everyone thinks thats my 2 cents..

They are the missing link, along with fit..... to almost everything. After years I realized tip importance can’t be understated.

May 24, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #38,030 of 45,723

Firmware is something that’s only half the equation. Meaning it’s 1/2 attitude. It would be like finding a shirt you like. You could keep changing shirts but there is something about your favorite shirt? So you have to stick with it, and you actually can’t over think the whole process. My issue is as Jupiter301 T1 was too warm with the 1Z.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #38,031 of 45,723
Firmware is something that’s only half the equation. Meaning it’s out attitude. It would be like finding a shirt you like. You could keep changing shirts but there is something about your favorite shirt? So you have to stick with it, and you actually can’t over think the whole process. My issue is as Jupiter301 T1 was too warm with the 1Z.
Maybe use the FW Lpgt version, that brightness should counteract 1Z warmth and make it more balanced

May 24, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #38,032 of 45,723
Maybe use the FW Lpgt version, that brightness should counteract 1Z warmth and make it more balanced

You know I always look at that LPGT......it’s on my list of things to do. The thing is that when I find something it’s like visiting a town. I don’t want to leave. I’ve always been a fan of 3.02 stock with the 1Z but now “J” region has injected a special magic that’s hard to walk away from. I’ve gone and used many of the firmwares except only in stock “U” region.

Jupiter301 T1 was actually made on a 1A, though I’m not sure if it was physically modded or not, which can explain the incapability with the “J” 1Z. Though I guess if someone had a super bright IEM it may work? At this point I can’t imagine what it was like to be Japanese and buy a home sold Walkman and listen to the early 1.02 firmware styles?

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #38,033 of 45,723
So I asked about the wm1a a couple pages back and I am definitely saving up for it as my "endgame" dap. But I wanted to get someone feedback on the reliability and longevity of this player. Considering it only has a year warranty, would this player last me for 5 to even 10 years (of course replacing the battery when needed) without any real issues? Anyone hear who bought it when it was first available still have it?

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #38,034 of 45,723
who have drive hifiman sundara through wm1a 4.4mm?
thanks

May 24, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #38,035 of 45,723
So I asked about this player a couple pages back and I am definitely saving up for it as my "endgame" dap. But I wanted to get someone feedback on the reliability and longevity of this player. Considering it only has a year warranty, would this player last me for 5 to even 10 years (of course replacing the battery when needed) without any real issues?

I have been following the thread since about September-November 2017....and have not read about any issues across posts here? The irony was folks who were subdued from a purchase in 2018 thinking new models would come. We always think they could show up?

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #38,036 of 45,723
My Japanese WM1Z came with a selection of sampler tracks pre-installed that sound really great. I'm not sure if this is normal as I don't recall seeing anyone else mentioning it but I did find one of the tracks online that is REALLY worthwhile to download if you don't already have it.

https://helpguide.sony.net/high-res/sample1/v1/en/index.html

Obviously, download the Hi-Res version.

May 24, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #38,037 of 45,723
You know I always look at that LPGT......it’s on my list of things to do. The thing is that when I find something it’s like visiting a town. I don’t want to leave. I’ve always been a fan of 3.02 stock with the 1Z but now “J” region has injected a special magic that’s hard to walk away from. I’ve gone and used many of the firmwares except only in stock “U” region.

Jupiter301 T1 was actually made on a 1A, though I’m not sure if it was physically modded or not, which can explain the incapability with the “J” 1Z. Though I guess if someone had a super bright IEM it may work? At this point I can’t imagine what it was like to be Japanese and buy a home sold Walkman and listen to the early 1.02 firmware styles?
Since 1Z is warm and Kaiser 10 is also warm, Lpgt fw should do nicely. I think DMP1Z version 1.02 should also do very nicely, as well as Jupiter. Region J or Cn should do well, assuming you want balanced sound profile with nice clarity and separation. Maybe also use some kind of silver wire type, but that’s more like the last step.

May 24, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #38,038 of 45,723
Since 1Z is warm and Kaiser 10 is also warm, Lpgt fw should do nicely. I think DMP1Z version 1.02 should also do very nicely, as well as Jupiter. Region J or Cn should do well, assuming you want balanced sound profile with nice clarity and separation. Maybe also use some kind of silver wire type, but that’s more like the last step.

5B3D7362-B939-4360-B53E-8B279ACB0B0F.jpeg

The original K-10 may be warmer? Actually never heard it. The K-10 Encore on the other hand is kind-of an odd duck. A pulled lower-midrange focuses aspects on the middle midrange, though they could be called midrange emphasized...........they are not midrange forward. There is also both a treble spike and treble dip, which adds to the overall general feeling of them being midrange emphasized. IMO

The Encore IEMs actually like the 1Z and “J” moves it even closer. I will give some other firmwares a try if anything for completeness. I’ve played with many of them but only on the “U” region. Actually 3.02 is pretty amazing right now. Though I do add about 3 notches of bass, which is the only EQ I do all year. I will try DMPZ1 1.02 as it was the first one I tried with “U” only.......awhile back? It’s so true that “J” does gives some warmth which offers more freedom now. Thank-you.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #38,039 of 45,723
May 24, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #38,040 of 45,723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back