SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #37,471 of 45,723
IMG_20200514_165422.jpg

My WM1A showed up last night. Unboxed and charged the battery this morning. First thing I noticed, when I inserted my 1TB microSD with the the music I was carrying in my NW-A55: the Create Database is somewhat slower, but not so much so that it spoils the experience. The UI is almost identical to the '55s UI, so that made everything easy. I left the default Direct Source enabled.

Interestingly, the F/W version was 3.02, which is the newest version released in August of 2019; seems like this is a newly manufactured unit - which is great.

I will also add that pictures do not do justice to the heft and build quality of the WM1A - it just feels great in your hand and I love that the backing is non-slip, so I can set it down and it doesn't move around.

My first test was with 6.3mm SE headphone out into the NuForce amp, listening with HD-660S, just because that's what I've been listening to from my NW-A55. Louder, of course, but a quick listen wasn't immediately anything I could remark on (i.e. vs. the NW-A55 into the same amp and cans).

Then, I switched up to my HD-660S with the 4.4mm balanced cable, directly into the WM1A. Initial impressions are: very sweet sound. More full, lots of detail, good bass (no bloom, sharp attack), fluid mids, and without *any* listening fatigue (which is a problem for me with the NW-A55, IMO). So, mission accomplished and I am happy.

A volume of 100/120 is plenty loud for me with these 'phones and extended listening. However, when it's time to open the Scotch and loosen some tooth fillings, I need more volume. At full volume 120/120, it still sounds pretty clean and is pretty loud with the 660S - loud enough for most cases, I think, and too loud to extended listening (for me, anyway).

I was hoping for more... but, long term, I need to set Plan B into motion (which is to upgrade my home head-fi tube amp and bring the WA3 into the office to pair with the WM1A). I really with the Walkmans supported a Line Out function.

I have read that the FT CAPs on the WM1A/Z require about 200 hours of listening to fully realize their potential, so I will keep listening, knowing it's only going to get better.

EDIT: holy cow! I am listening to female vocals and the sound is incredible. Maybe Deafheaven wasn't the right first test album :L3000:

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #37,472 of 45,723
IMG_20200514_165422.jpg

My WM1A showed up last night. Unboxed and charged the battery this morning. First thing I noticed, when I inserted my 1TB microSD with the the music I was carrying in my NW-A55: the Create Database is somewhat slower, but not so much so that it spoils the experience. The UI is almost identical to the '55s UI, so that made everything easy. I left the default Direct Source enabled.

Interestingly, the F/W version was 3.02, which is the newest version released in August of 2019; seems like this is a newly manufactured unit - which is great.

I will also add that pictures do not do justice to the heft and build quality of the WM1A - it just feels great in your hand and I love that the backing is non-slip, so I can set it down and it doesn't move around.

My first test was with 6.3mm SE headphone out into the NuForce amp, listening with HD-660S, just because that's what I've been listening to from my NW-A55. Louder, of course, but a quick listen wasn't immediately anything I could remark on (i.e. vs. the NW-A55 into the same amp and cans).

Then, I switched up to my HD-660S with the 4.4mm balanced cable, directly into the WM1A. Initial impressions are: very sweet sound. More full, lots of detail, good bass (no bloom, sharp attack), fluid mids, and without *any* listening fatigue (which is a problem for me with the NW-A55, IMO). So, mission accomplished and I am happy.

A volume of 100/120 is plenty loud for me with these 'phones and extended listening. However, when it's time to open the Scotch and loosen some tooth fillings, I need more volume. At full volume 120/120, it still sounds pretty clean and is pretty loud with the 660S - loud enough for most cases, I think, and too loud to extended listening (for me, anyway).

I was hoping for more... but, long term, I need to set Plan B into motion (which is to upgrade my home head-fi tube amp and bring the WA3 into the office to pair with the WM1A). I really with the Walkmans supported a Line Out function.

I have read that the FT CAPs on the WM1A/Z require about 200 hours of listening to fully realize their potential, so I will keep listening, knowing it's only going to get better.

EDIT: holy cow! I am listening to female vocals and the sound is incredible. Maybe Deafheaven wasn't the right first test album :L3000:
Thanks for the mini-review. Mine arrive tomorrow. I also ordered a "returned - open box" set of Shure SRH1840 for the occasion. Anyone have any experience with these cans with the WM1A? Should I have gone with a set of HD660s instead? I wanted open back. And I so like the Shure SE846s that I thought I would stay brand loyal..

May 14, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #37,473 of 45,723
I saw this question several years ago but no concrete answer. I just got a 1A and its 'demo mode' is activated. I guess it's used when stores actually 'demo' it in their stores. That said, does anyone know how to turn this function off?

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #37,474 of 45,723
Thanks for the mini-review. Mine arrive tomorrow. I also ordered a "returned - open box" set of Shure SRH1840 for the occasion. Anyone have any experience with these cans with the WM1A? Should I have gone with a set of HD660s instead? I wanted open back. And I so like the Shure SE846s that I thought I would stay brand loyal..
I think you'll be happy with Shure SRH1840, it should sound pretty good with a burned in WM1A given its 65 ohms. Just read its review in Amazon, and given the so many different FWs available, you'll bound to find a few FWs here that would make this heaphone sounds really good. The important thing is that you used the 4.4 mm balanced cable and 1A needs to be burned in at least 200 hrs, more like 400-500 hours.

Same with Krutch's Senn HD-660S, play around with high gain, it should provide more power and a little different sound signature.

May 14, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #37,476 of 45,723
May 14, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #37,478 of 45,723

I have those, as well. I ordered the Sony/Kimber balanced cable for my SE846s and I can't wait to try these out.

May 14, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #37,479 of 45,723
May 14, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #37,480 of 45,723
I have those, as well. I ordered the Sony/Kimber balanced cable for my SE846s and I can't wait to try these out.

I plugged in my SE846 + Moon Audio Silver Dragon cables and listened to Everything But The Girl's "Amplified Heart". I am super impressed with the sound from the WM1A. I may not be heating up the tubes at my desk for a while.

I would not have believed that a DAP could sound this good.

May 14, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #37,481 of 45,723
I think you'll be happy with Shure SRH1840, it should sound pretty good with a burned in WM1A given its 65 ohms. Just read its review in Amazon, and given the so many different FWs available, you'll bound to find a few FWs here that would make this heaphone sounds really good. The important thing is that you used the 4.4 mm balanced cable and 1A needs to be burned in at least 200 hrs, more like 400-500 hours.

Same with Krutch's Senn HD-660S, play around with high gain, it should provide more power and a little different sound signature.
Great, thanks for your feedback. It's going to be years before I burn in 400-500 hours. I just don't have that much time to do so. Even 200 will probably take me over a year or more. Hopefully it's going to still sound damn good without the burning in. Anyone else use this combo? the WM1A with the Shure SRH1840 cans?

May 14, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #37,482 of 45,723
Great, thanks for your feedback. It's going to be years before I burn in 400-500 hours. I just don't have that much time to do so. Even 200 will probably take me over a year or more. Hopefully it's going to still sound damn good without the burning in. Anyone else use this combo? the WM1A with the Shure SRH1840 cans?

Just play and enjoy, let the hours build naturally don't worry about it. There's is a difference, equally not night & day, just more refined. As ever focus on your music not the rhetoric as that's the source at the end of the day...

Q-6

May 14, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #37,483 of 45,723
I would not have believed that a DAP could sound this good.

I made a mistake. I should have dug deep for the WM1Z, because after today, the purchase is inevitable.

May 14, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #37,484 of 45,723
I made a mistake. I should have dug deep for the WM1Z, because after today, the purchase is inevitable.
Uh oh. Really? You're thinking the difference is that significant? The first reviewer on the Amazon listing page states, "Must have item even if you have to sell your children." Not sure how the wife would feel about that.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #37,485 of 45,723
Uh oh. Really? You're thinking the difference is that significant? The first reviewer on the Amazon listing page states, "Must have item even if you have to sell your children." Not sure how the wife would feel about that.

If you can afford spending the money, then why not?

I would for sure first try tuning mods (the only current way of modding without spending money), for example, as they certainly close the gap between a stock 1A and a 1Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back