SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #36,542 of 45,723
Ok thank you!
You're welcome - If you click on 'reply' on the right side underneath the person's post, it will quote their post then show up in their notifications, then if you require a response to a question you will get their attention and a quicker reply. Good luck with the battery reset, let us know if you succeed.

Apr 19, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #36,543 of 45,723
I have two firmware for WM1A that work very well. Both of them have silky smooth, warmth, very good resolution and dynamic.
Vinyl tune is an inspiration of firmware v1.2 and v2.0. If you missed how they sound before then give it a try.
Classical tune is updated. Very resolved. Retrieved every little tiny spat of details very well when tested with my gears. Instruments sound more believable.
Sorry no 1Z version yet! Will be done soon.

Make sure you are on fw 3.02. The link is >> Here
Thanks mate Tried both of them Vinyl sounds just like it should That warm and rich sound of vinyls with good detail retrieval and deep bass I like this as it returns the warmth to the 1A and makes it sound almost similar to 1Z The classical version still has slight warmth, but the detail retrieval is more and i heard some artifacts in the recording Bass is not as deep here and treble is heightened a little Depending on your gear, classical can sound a bit harsh maybe Vinyl sounds very smooth all round

Apr 19, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #36,544 of 45,723
Thanks mate Tried both of them Vinyl sounds just like it should That warm and rich sound of vinyls with good detail retrieval and deep bass I like this as it returns the warmth to the 1A and makes it sound almost similar to 1Z The classical version still has slight warmth, but the detail retrieval is more and i heard some artifacts in the recording Bass is not as deep here and treble is heightened a little Depending on your gear, classical can sound a bit harsh maybe Vinyl sounds very smooth all round
Thanks for feedbacks. Will keep this in mind for later on.

Vinyl is doing very well on my more energetic /north of neutral bookshelve speakers too. Similar type of headphones and IEMs will benefit from this also. I got goosebumps when hear solo electric guitar and violin. Flutes, horns and saxophones tone are all their similar to 1Z counterparts.

Apr 19, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #36,545 of 45,723

Vinyl is doing very well on my more energetic /north of neutral bookshelve speakers too. Similar type of headphones and IEMs will benefit from this also. I got goosebumps when hear solo electric guitar and violin. Flutes, horns and saxophones tone are all their similar to 1Z counterparts.
Which is your favourite among these 2?

Apr 19, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #36,546 of 45,723

I’m testing vinyl on my Z5 which has superb bass. Plays well. Bass not boomy but punchy.

Apr 19, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #36,547 of 45,723
Which is your favourite among these 2?
Hard to pick for my IEM. They both good.
Bookshelf speakers have to go with Vinyl. Depending on your gears.

Apr 19, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #36,548 of 45,723
so has anyone experienced battery reset? and being blessed by it? im doing one right now.. so im curious
I have done it with my modded 1A with over 4800 hours play time. Seems work with better battery life but I have not scientifically measured it.

Apr 20, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #36,549 of 45,723
Apr 20, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #36,550 of 45,723
Musicbee may be a bit difficult getting used to. One caveat I found it.that it would duplicate albums (in total albums count) if.you chose it.to split by Artist (unlike MesiaGo it merges albums with same name and uses VA as artist). Other caveat I didn't get fully around with MB isthe creation of a Hi-res Audio filter/view

Apr 20, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #36,551 of 45,723
Musicbee may be a bit difficult getting used to. One caveat I found it.that it would duplicate albums (in total albums count) if.you chose it.to split by Artist (unlike MesiaGo it merges albums with same name and uses VA as artist). Other caveat I didn't get fully around with MB isthe creation of a Hi-res Audio filter/view
On the other hand , MB is fully featured, you can browse your music virtually by any tag, including. Composer. Has many settings and skins. You can even point to the encoder to use when ripping, it can even convert between formats. And super useful you can customize for each device how it will transfer. I had use for both walkman and SD card MUSIC\<Composer>\<Album>\<Track> - <Title>
And also selected copy front cover Image to file and remove from tag during transfer

Apr 20, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #36,552 of 45,723
I've been having concerns about the battery life of my secondhand WM1Z.
It was fully charged, and then in the last couple of days it was down to half power.
I'd only played music for maybe 4 hours at most.
However, I had also installed two FW's whilst it wasn't plugged in to a charger, so perhaps that was the reason.

In any case, I've drained the battery to the point where it won't boot at all (no more icon saying it needs to recharge) and then charged it overnight to 100%.
Now I'm going to play it non-stop until it's drained (unless anyone says this is a bad idea?)

The idea being, I just want to find out how long the battery will truly last whilst continuously playing one of my most common playlist folders.
It has a mixture of 16/44 and 24bit FLACs of various resolutions, as well as a few WAV, mp3 and DSD files.

However, would draining it to zero again be detrimental to the battery?
Or it's fine as long as I don't drain it to the point where the 'battery needs charging' icon no longer appears?
All advice welcome :)

On a side note, huge thanks to all the members here who have helped me out with FW and technical advice etc!
Despite the unfortunate occasional in-fighting, it's a great community to be a part of and I'm excited to be taking this WM1Z journey with you all :)

Apr 20, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #36,553 of 45,723
Despite the unfortunate occasional in-fighting

Well, no fighting initiated from my side, as you can all see for yourself.

However, would draining it to zero again be detrimental to the battery?
Or it's fine as long as I don't drain it to the point where the 'battery needs charging' icon no longer appears?

If you do it just now it should be fine. I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure it's usually better to not let your battery fully drain before charging it. If you let it drain and then charge it, you kind of use up one recharge cycle. Remember that these batteries have a "limited" number of recharging cycles before they start not being as efficient and slowly wear out completely.

But as I've seen around here, the 1A/1Z's battery can last much longer when kind of resetting it when you let it fully drain (like you did, to the point where it was not turning on anymore).

By the way, thanks for the advice, whoever gave it here! (forgot who :D)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #36,554 of 45,723
Well, no fighting initiated from my side, as you can all see for yourself.

Let's not go back there lol. You (and others) have made huge contributions to this thread, and I'd rather focus on that :)
I wasn't actually referring to you specifically anyway, more just a general trend.
It's something that happens on most threads from time to time.
Sometimes people get into arguments over stuff, but that happens in real life too, and doesn't need to be permanently divisive necessarily.
And there's people who are passionate about the hobby in different ways, so often there's clashing opinions and viewpoints, and communicating by text makes it even easier for friction to occur.
I can't help thinking that in many cases, if the same people who got into an argument on the thread were to have met in a cafe or something, they'd probably get along really well, despite any differences :)

Apr 20, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #36,555 of 45,723
Let's not go back there lol. You (and others) have made huge contributions to this thread, and I'd rather focus on that :)
I wasn't actually referring to you specifically anyway, more just a general trend.
It's something that happens on most threads from time to time.
Sometimes people get into arguments over stuff, but that happens in real life too, and doesn't need to be permanently divisive necessarily.
And there's people who are passionate about the hobby in different ways, so often there's clashing opinions and viewpoints, and communicating by text makes it even easier for friction to occur.
I can't help thinking that in many cases, if the same people who got into an argument on the thread were to have met in a cafe or something, they'd probably get along really well, despite any differences :)

I have absolutely no wish to fight anyone here, lol, as you noticed, nothing from my PM discussion with him ever came up here, until he decided to. I just want to make that very clear when people mention "they don't want fighting here". I don't want either, it doesn't help anyone, even though there were some people liking his comments. They probably like the fighting, which is really bad in my opinion, and encouraging a fight. I guess sometimes it's like in the real world, when a bully is not alone, but in a group which supports him/her.

In the last 100 pages I consider this the only "fight" that happened.

Best way to forget about this is if all people would stop mention it. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back