SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 20, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #36,556 of 45,723
Hello, can someone please share the 3.01 firmware stock, i updated to 3.02 but i'm no feeling this bass, great detail though, but changes a lot the Z1R signature. I'm around 192 hours of burn in, and the resolution for me started getting better at around 135 hours.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #36,557 of 45,723
Apr 20, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #36,558 of 45,723
P1088626.jpg

Just wanted to share
P1088616_compress33.jpg
P1088626-2_compress57.jpg

I got the WM1A last week and since I have a lot of time, I decided to do a photoshoot.

Ridiculous I know but boredom brings a lot of possibilities. Anyway I love this thing. I'm upgrading from an ZX300 that I loved dearly and decided to get this over the ZX507 mainly due to battery and a bit cause of various digging around saying the WM1A is better then the new ZX507 but not by a lot. I prefer more neutral sound as well and this one is neutral. With the UE 18+ 3rd gen, I don't know, I can't really fault it.

Any of it.

To me, they reached that perfect enough stage and now I'll start to find my endgame headphones. It's a pretty gorgeous device too, the WM1A. Love how it feels in the hand.​
Currently at 120hrs burn in with a metric crap ton of music to listen through all over again.​
In a year I took the ZX300 to over 1000 hours so I'm excited to do it all over again with this one.​

Apr 20, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #36,560 of 45,723
P1088626.jpg

Just wanted to share P1088616_compress33.jpgP1088626-2_compress57.jpg

I got the WM1A last week and since I have a lot of time, I decided to do a photoshoot.

Ridiculous I know but boredom brings a lot of possibilities. Anyway I love this thing. I'm upgrading from an ZX300 that I loved dearly and decided to get this over the ZX507 mainly due to battery and a bit cause of various digging around saying the WM1A is better then the new ZX507 but not by a lot. I prefer more neutral sound as well and this one is neutral. With the UE 18+ 3rd gen, I don't know, I can't really fault it.

Any of it.

To me, they reached that perfect enough stage and now I'll start to find my endgame headphones. It's a pretty gorgeous device too, the WM1A. Love how it feels in the hand.

Currently at 120hrs burn in with a metric crap ton of music to listen through all over again.

In a year I took the ZX300 to over 1000 hours so I'm excited to do it all over again with this one.
Why dont you think 1A its better than zx507 by a lot?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #36,562 of 45,723
Did look at the ZX500, but already have a ZX300 and wanted a little more and for the most part I'm not that big into streaming, so WM1A was the better choice for me.

Q-6

Apr 21, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #36,563 of 45,723
Anyone from Australia? What's the lowest price the WM1A has been on Sony.com.au?

Apr 21, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #36,564 of 45,723
The simple explanation basically aligns with @Queen6. I did first look at the 507 and heard that's it's a noticeable improvement over the 300, for the most part since we're all different, and the consensus I got from digging into the 1A vs the 507 is that it is also noticeably better with someone saying the 507 is in between the two older models.

I think I heard that the 507 is quieter than the 1A in terms of noise but to me the 1A with my UE 18's is already quiet enough so I don't mind that.

I also got a 1tb memory card so I don't care for streaming and the battery life is astounding.

The bass is supposed to be better on the 507 but the 1A has better bass than than the 300 already so again, I'm happy with my choice.

I meant the 1A is way better than the ZX300 since I've never listened to the 507. I used the same DSD files across certain albums between the Walkmans and fresh out of the box the balanced end of the 1A spanked the 300. And now?

No contest.

To me its like going from 1080p with the 300 and going 4k with the 1A. I've personally never heard the amount of detail across almost all the music I listen to with the 1A. The 300 sounds kinda flat dimensionally and a little dense with instrument separation and this is something I noticed without any burn in on the 1A. Haven't done a comparison now at 125hrs.

I've also used it in my car on the auxiliary and the 3.5 also spanks the 300.

The 1A has finally started to show which of my flac files aren't quality. That's a first. Also, at least to me, as I burn it in more, I have to redo EQ settings and the adjustments become more subtle as I get closer to 200hrs. So that's proof to me that the sound is changing. The most I apply to any setting in the EQ is +3 with a few frequencies untouched.

Apr 21, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #36,565 of 45,723
The simple explanation basically aligns with @Queen6. I did first look at the 507 and heard that's it's a noticeable improvement over the 300, for the most part since we're all different, and the consensus I got from digging into the 1A vs the 507 is that it is also noticeably better with someone saying the 507 is in between the two older models.

I think I heard that the 507 is quieter than the 1A in terms of noise but to me the 1A with my UE 18's is already quiet enough so I don't mind that.

I also got a 1tb memory card so I don't care for streaming and the battery life is astounding.

The bass is supposed to be better on the 507 but the 1A has better bass than than the 300 already so again, I'm happy with my choice.

I meant the 1A is way better than the ZX300 since I've never listened to the 507. I used the same DSD files across certain albums between the Walkmans and fresh out of the box the balanced end of the 1A spanked the 300. And now?

No contest.

To me its like going from 1080p with the 300 and going 4k with the 1A. I've personally never heard the amount of detail across almost all the music I listen to with the 1A. The 300 sounds kinda flat dimensionally and a little dense with instrument separation and this is something I noticed without any burn in on the 1A. Haven't done a comparison now at 125hrs.

I've also used it in my car on the auxiliary and the 3.5 also spanks the 300.

The 1A has finally started to show which of my flac files aren't quality. That's a first. Also, at least to me, as I burn it in more, I have to redo EQ settings and the adjustments become more subtle as I get closer to 200hrs. So that's proof to me that the sound is changing. The most I apply to any setting in the EQ is +3 with a few frequencies untouched.
I'm a ZX300 owner lurking around here for motivation to take the step up, thanks

Apr 21, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #36,566 of 45,723
Anyone from Australia? What's the lowest price the WM1A has been on Sony.com.au?

I’ve never actually seen the WM1A or WM1Z discounted directly from Sony Australia.

Addicted to Audio has had them both discounted at various times over the past 12 months. I picked up my WM1Z for $2,899 from them a little under a year ago.

Apr 21, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #36,567 of 45,723
I’ve never actually seen the WM1A or WM1Z discounted directly from Sony Australia.

Addicted to Audio has had them both discounted at various times over the past 12 months. I picked up my WM1Z for $2,899 from them a little under a year ago.

You can check on minidisc.com.au as well. They also have some discounts sometimes over the year.

Apr 21, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #36,568 of 45,723
@Hinomotocho

I've been trying to find reasons to return it cause this is now breaching price points that lead the way to horrible life choices financially. Haha.

I just can't though!

I've heard the sentiment around here about how much is that extra 10% worth, and I think between the 1A and the 300 it's more than a 10% gain, which is an understandable thought but just can't find any motivation to return it. In fact the more I listen to it the more I love the tiny little insignificant box.

I forgot to mention how with my UE 18+'S all the voices suddenly sounded lively and almost filled in with color now. They were just more pronounced and carried more of that "warm and alive" feeling. Haha. So vocals were another big obvious improvement over the 300. This alone, to me, changed how I listened.

I know us audio folk get colorful with our analogies and metaphors for this pursuit of fidelity but God damn, when the vocals sound great it really does carry all this vibrant energy to what you listen.

Live albums sound soo, soo good on this.

I wish it came in silver though. Maybe my single worst criticism of it and I'm making a point with that.

TL:DR

I love it. I can't convince myself to return it try as might and if you're a Zx300 owner I'd say the jump in fidelity is around the 25% mark, give or take depending on the listener but this is NOT a 10% boost.

Can't say about a 507 vs a 1A.

Apr 21, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #36,569 of 45,723

You can check on minidisc.com.au as well. They also have some discounts sometimes over the year.
Thank you for your replies. I'm actually from NZ and our market it too small for the higher end audio gear. I'll keep an eye out for those 2 stores, I have purchased from them in the past. Hopefully after the virus drama dies down I'll be over later in the year - I had to postpone an upcoming planned trip to Sydney, which might be a good thing as I have time to accumulate some funds for the WM1A

Apr 21, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #36,570 of 45,723
@Hinomotocho

I've been trying to find reasons to return it cause this is now breaching price points that lead the way to horrible life choices financially. Haha.

I just can't though!

I've heard the sentiment around here about how much is that extra 10% worth, and I think between the 1A and the 300 it's more than a 10% gain, which is an understandable thought but just can't find any motivation to return it. In fact the more I listen to it the more I love the tiny little insignificant box.

I forgot to mention how with my UE 18+'S all the voices suddenly sounded lively and almost filled in with color now. They were just more pronounced and carried more of that "warm and alive" feeling. Haha. So vocals were another big obvious improvement over the 300. This alone, to me, changed how I listened.

I know us audio folk get colorful with our analogies and metaphors for this pursuit of fidelity but God damn, when the vocals sound great it really does carry all this vibrant energy to what you listen.

Live albums sound soo, soo good on this.

I wish it came in silver though. Maybe my single worst criticism of it and I'm making a point with that.

TL:DR

I love it. I can't convince myself to return it try as might and if you're a Zx300 owner I'd say the jump in fidelity is around the 25% mark, give or take depending on the listener but this is NOT a 10% boost.

Can't say about a 507 vs a 1A.
Good to hear, thanks for the boost.
My journey started with the A15/17 which allowed me to go all flac/hi-res and then stepped up to the ZX100, then on to the ZX300 (balanced). I mostly listen at home without distractions so I can really 'listen' to my music and enjoy all the glorious elements like soundstaging and textures and details etc so I tend to really notice and appreciate even subtle improvements as I've moved onwards and upwards. Also, I'm the type of fool that'll go to great lengths and expense to claw at even a small gain - even 10% has me excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back