SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #34,741 of 45,723
Mar 20, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #34,742 of 45,723
I was interested in replacing the Poly / Mojo combo with the WM1Z. However the amplifier is weak as hell on this thing.

With the Z1R headphone, it was kinda listable once you remove the volume cap. But with more power hungry cans like the Aeon Flow Closed 2 (which is still a portable headphone), the volume was way too low despite maxing out everything on the WM1Z.

So I don’t get it. Why put such a weak amplifier on a $3000 DAP? This does not look like a replacement for the $1000 Poly + Mojo combo.

So I will keep looking for an other DAP :p (I know that there is the AK KANN but that thing is way too huge for me).

This dap isnt ment to play hungry headphones...

Though its top notch with iems!

Sony headphones works no problem.
And aeon flow isnt easy to drive by the way!

Mar 20, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #34,743 of 45,723
I was interested in replacing the Poly / Mojo combo with the WM1Z. However the amplifier is weak as hell on this thing.

With the Z1R headphone, it was kinda listable once you remove the volume cap. But with more power hungry cans like the Aeon Flow Closed 2 (which is still a portable headphone), the volume was way too low despite maxing out everything on the WM1Z.

So I don’t get it. Why put such a weak amplifier on a $3000 DAP? This does not look like a replacement for the $1000 Poly + Mojo combo.

So I will keep looking for an other DAP :p (I know that there is the AK KANN but that thing is way too huge for me).

Because 99,9% of portable headphones are low impedence with high efficiency and thus super easy to drive. Aeon2 are plenars which are in general notioriously hard to drive. That's why this technology was forgotten for 40 something years. The magnets were not strong enough and there wasn't a market for headphone amplifiers. They were revived because there is a market for this but making a plenars portable is still a stupid idea. Go check Focal Stellia for example. They are 35 ohms and go loud even from phone dongles.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #34,744 of 45,723
Because 99,9% of portable headphones are low impedence with high efficiency and thus super easy to drive. Aeon2 are plenars which are in general notioriously hard to drive. That's why this technology was forgotten for 40 something years. The magnets were not strong enough and there wasn't a market for headphone amplifiers. They were revived because there is a market for this but making a plenars portable is still a stupid idea. Go check Focal Stellia for example. They are 35 ohms and go loud even from phone dongles.
Well said :), and if he so desired, the DMP Z1 can drive those headphones !!!

Mar 20, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #34,747 of 45,723
I keep coming back to J plus Solis, none of the others satifies in the same way across all types of music

Mar 20, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #34,748 of 45,723
Mar 20, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #34,751 of 45,723
Im amazed at how well the chart wo
I confirm that reboot did not help. Jupiter301-T1-1Z is not compatible with my WM1Z with J region on FW 3.01 bought in EU (EU HW version). It sucks :slight_frown:
Probably this custom FW is build from FW for Japanese HW of the DAP.
Its only this one issue nowone else has reported problems on any of teh previous FW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back