SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #31,816 of 45,723
Some audiophiler braught an MS 1a and ley me tried it.
So I compared it to stock 1a and I told hmm no offense but to me stock 1a was better.

I was actually very surprised and impressed by stock 1a. It eas quick dynamic fast and punchy. With some viscerality on mind.

1a and 1z has different bass presentation. 1a is not treble accentuated in my opinion its simply a more thiner and fast sound presentation. Defently not as fun as 1z bass and thickness. I was really enjoying 1a and I think if you have 1z and 1a its an awsome compliment together.

And I also compared my 1z vs a new 1z that had like hours!

There is a definite difference it was like tight away apparent without forcing my self.
Once it burns in it has better resolution and transition, also bass is better by a good margin.

I eliminate dmp z1 from my list of desired gear since I highly preferred 1z. Dmp didnt give me that warmth thick bassy magic of 1z I was expecting much more from dmp.
I also disabled the dsd remastering on dmp as I felt it was way to smooth and easy. I like the edgy squares of mp3 waves I guess lol!

I had huge pleasure at canjam and really liled this 4 sonys offerings

Wm1z wm1a z7m2 and M9
I think theis are the sony most successful gear on today's offerings

I had lot of cool talks with sony engineers I asked them tons of questions lol about components sonys doing experience and expertise. They also enjoy listening to my auditioning commentarys and I hope maybe my suggestions will be used in the development of future song projects to come!

I also asked if there is any 1a and 1z successor on any time lapse to come and it seemes like not for the moment and they arent even planning anything in that direction yet...

Yea and I talked to sony engineers about moding 1z. They looked at me like what people do that, i was like yea you dont read headfi thread ? Hes like hmm no we do not follow forums thread on our products...

So I told then well people change caps change the kimber cable and all that stuff.

He was like oh no no never sony will tolerate tantalum caps and other brands cause it doesnt meet sony standards. He said they are not reliable....
Also sony uses a lot of self developed parts and special soldering on 1z apparently and all that creates the sony magic...
how did the DMP-Z1 compare to WM1A? And yeah boo, no new WM successor, 4 years since their debut, new daps on the market. Hell i can feel about a bit the obsolecence now... my main lusting is 2 SD slots, more internal memory amd DSD remaster engine (hell fiio, ibasso, lottoo do this on portable)

Feb 16, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #31,817 of 45,723
how did the DMP-Z1 compare to WM1A? And yeah boo, no new WM successor, 4 years since their debut, new daps on the market. Hell i can feel about a bit the obsolecence now... my main lusting is 2 SD slots, more internal memory amd DSD remaster engine (hell fiio, ibasso, lottoo do this on portable)

Feel absolutely no obsolecence with my 1Z, as lovely as the first day

Feb 16, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #31,818 of 45,723
Feel absolutely no obsolecence with my 1Z, as lovely as the first day

Me too, I still feel very privileged to use mine. I will not be upgrading when MK2 comes, I have no need to change. I may get some replacement batteries and that’s it.

Feb 16, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #31,819 of 45,723
Yea and I talked to sony engineers about moding 1z. They looked at me like what people do that, i was like yea you dont read headfi thread ? Hes like hmm no we do not follow forums thread on our products...

So I told then well people change caps change the kimber cable and all that stuff.

He was like oh no no never sony will tolerate tantalum caps and other brands cause it doesnt meet sony standards. He said they are not reliable....
Also sony uses a lot of self developed parts and special soldering on 1z apparently and all that creates the sony magic...

No offence or disrespect to the modders however I have to admit I subscribe to Sony's philosophy. I always found it hard to believe that individual headfi modders think they are better equipped and have more knowledge than Sony's enormous staff of technical engineers to bring out more performance from the 1Z. It is already an expensive unit so I don't believe those that say that Sony leaves out boutique wires and components in order to come in at a price. At this level Sony could have easily charged more for the 1Z to subsidize the increased costs of boutique components IF THEY FELT THAT PERFORMANCE WAS IMPROVED.

I have more confidence in Sony's army of engineers in their massive labs with testing gear etc. than I do in an audio store in the UK or a head fier in his living room taking apart and modifying a 1Z.
Your mileage may vary

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #31,820 of 45,723
No offence or disrespect to the modders however I have to admit I subscribe to Sony's philosophy. I always found it hard to believe that individual headfi modders think they are better equipped and have more knowledge than Sony's enormous staff of technical engineers to bring out more performance from the 1Z. It is already an expensive unit so I don't believe those that say that Sony leaves out boutique wires and components in order to come in at a price. At this level Sony could have easily charged more for the 1Z to subsidize the increased costs of boutique components IF THEY FELT THAT PERFORMANCE WAS IMPROVED.

I have more confidence in Sony's army of engineers in their massive labs with testing gear etc. than I do in an audio store in the UK or a head fier in his living room taking apart and modifying a 1Z.
Your mileage may vary

Well, I would not look at mods, only because I’m satisfied with the sound. But I always thought beyond trying to improve sound; the mod builder is traveling towards a different end sound that’s not the possible with EQ.

It would be like handmade shoes or cloths, which fit better.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #31,821 of 45,723
1/ I am surprised that MS has worse performances than stock WM1A. What did it get done ?

2/ Definitely No Tantalum, I do not use Tantalum :wink:. Ofcourse other brands are not reliable, Sony uses FT Caps made by SamWha manufacturers. Capacitors and it behavior have to be studied first. Oh, Electrolytic caps don’t have as much life reliably as Polymer caps, but with Walkman, they can have 200,000 hours at operation temperature. That probably out live people :wink:. But hey FT caps last 10X more than that !!! And there are devices that lasts even much longer!!!

Of course Sony has to defend itself about how it produce and engineer the stuff.

See? What does DMP Z1 use for caps ? I see some Nichicon there!!! What happened to their quote ? OMG, my DMP Z1 won’t last long !!!!

Now, why do people modify ? For example, even wires and cables can impact sound. The Stock 1A has cheap OFC wires. It makes Zero senses to be using Kimber Cables and still worse than OFC huh? If so, why WM1Z use KimBer Kables ?

Do you know ? 1/2 of what Sony floor show people said is true and 1/2 of it is not ? That is to defend their own ways of conducting business. If you are into EE, you will realize it right away. Even if you are not just pay attentions to what their flagship products has to offer

Let’s just say, the WM1Z is too perfect. There won’t be newer player because we can not improve it any further !!!!

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #31,822 of 45,723
Yhose who have the sony Kimber upgrade cable dor the MDR-Z1R. What improvements will i hear? Will the MDR be close to IER in peformances SQ

Feb 16, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #31,823 of 45,723
@Vitaly2017 i am glad you crossed out DMP Z1 :). Was it on battery mode or AC mode ?

@buzzlulu I also have no offense to your belief. But did you know that DIY people are the one that keeps producing Stax amplifier at it best ? HeadAmp for example is one of those people. There are plenty of knowledgeable people and genius in the U.S.A as a country. Then there are plenty of inventors who invented stuff from personal experiences

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #31,825 of 45,723
@buzzlulu I also have no offense to your belief. But did you know that DIY people are the one that keeps producing Stax amplifier at it best ?

Not sure bring up STAX is a good example. They didn't do that well and had to be bailed out by the Chinese.....
Also just because they make nice elecstat headphones, that doesn't show they know how to make amps as it's a different area of expertise.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #31,826 of 45,723
1/ I am surprised that MS has worse performances than stock WM1A. What did it get done ?

2/ Definitely No Tantalum, I do not use Tantalum :wink:. Ofcourse other brands are not reliable, Sony uses FT Caps made by SamWha manufacturers. Capacitors and it behavior have to be studied first. Oh, Electrolytic caps don’t have as much life reliably as Polymer caps, but with Walkman, they can have 200,000 hours at operation temperature. That probably out live people :wink:. But hey FT caps last 10X more than that !!! And there are devices that lasts even much longer!!!

Of course Sony has to defend itself about how it produce and engineer the stuff.

See? What does DMP Z1 use for caps ? I see some Nichicon there!!! What happened to their quote ? OMG, my DMP Z1 won’t last long !!!!

Now, why do people modify ? For example, even wires and cables can impact sound. The Stock 1A has cheap OFC wires. It makes Zero senses to be using Kimber Cables and still worse than OFC huh? If so, why WM1Z use KimBer Kables ?

Do you know ? 1/2 of what Sony floor show people said is true and 1/2 of it is not ? That is to defend their own ways of conducting business. If you are into EE, you will realize it right away. Even if you are not just pay attentions to what their flagship products has to offer

Let’s just say, the WM1Z is too perfect. There won’t be newer player because we can not improve it any further !!!!
[
Enjoying my 1A + IER-Z1R
15818528522726489759968716167220.jpg
Any impresions on it? wich firmware?

Feb 16, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #31,827 of 45,723
Not sure bring up STAX is a good example. They didn't do that well and had to be bailed out by the Chinese.....
Also just because they make nice elecstat headphones, that doesn't show they know how to make amps as it's a different area of expertise.
Financially, yeah! Their technologies? No China has surpassed. Unless you love Hifiman Shangrila

Feb 16, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #31,828 of 45,723
@Vitaly2017 i am glad you crossed out DMP Z1 :). Was it on battery mode or AC mode ?

@buzzlulu I also have no offense to your belief. But did you know that DIY people are the one that keeps producing Stax amplifier at it best ? HeadAmp for example is one of those people. There are plenty of knowledgeable people and genius in the U.S.A as a country. Then there are plenty of inventors who invented stuff from personal experiences

Dmp was charged at the show cause it was out of battery.

I still preferred wm1z among everything I heard at the show!

I heard
lpgt
lp6k
sp2000
ifi idsd pro
fiio m15
Kann cube

Nothing was as good as wm1z only found sp2000 to be another option of a good dap after 1z.

I think sp2000 deserves hes praise to but its not the same type of tuning so Id say theise 2 daps are 2 Totl daps and each a leader in its own category!
Both high end but wm1z is my preference!

I am still inquiring into Ms mod and maybe they can ship me a unit to try? So I can be 100% sure of what I will be getting...

My second option is to leave the wm1z stock and buy pw1960 cable , i was totally blown away by pw 1960 the best cable to pair with 1z! Just impressive.
I also heard the code 51 and not so so. Didn't find that it stands out in anything....

Feb 16, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #31,829 of 45,723
did you hear Horus ?

I thought you didn’t like modifies 1A vs Stock...then you would keep 1Z stock ? Talk about SP2K 8598D44F-D8C0-4191-A41D-2A1B02527BA6.jpeg

Feb 16, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #31,830 of 45,723
Hmm interesting. What were the m9 like?

M9 was also very impressive, its a full ba driver and all ba made by sony. The best ba only iem I ever heard! The M9 beates my EE phantom easy...

M9 sounds like a bass from a dynamic driver, treble not fatiguing and well done...

Overall sound presentation is fast dynamic and with a resolution of a high end iem. Paired with wm1z was the best result.

Extremely comfortable it was the first thing that striked me.

Sony highly recommends using kimber cable instead of the included stock one. They say it improves sound by a big margin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back