SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 8, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #31,561 of 45,723
No sd card in the device.
F: is not accessible.
H: is the internal drive.

On scsitool v25 and firmware v. 2.0 I get :no access in cmd.

I bought the 1A 2 weeks ago from a French site, it was a demo with 10 hours on it.

I paid 715 euro and full 2 years warranty.

you should only see the internal drive if there is no microSD and it is the internal drive letter you reference in the commandline

Feb 8, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #31,562 of 45,723
I have been listening to the ZX507 the last few weeks as I used it the sound certainly changed for me... from being excessively harsh it has settled into a less harsh sound that I would now describe as aggressive...!

Yesterday I went back to my 1A ... and what a difference....at first I had said that the ZX was very different from the 1A but now I would say it’s not even in the same ball park... the 1A is so much more than the ZX in respect of sound...

The sound stage is much wider... the detail and separation is much greater... the mids are much cleaner and the highs are sharp and neither bleed into each other...

The ZX is a much better DAP in terms of its usefulness in portability etc ... the UI is much nicer... quality and speed...

So for portability I would say the ZX wins hands down.... but for sound the 1A is head and shoulders above the ZX...

I would say if you are happy when on the move with the quality of Spotify rather than Tidal or Qobuz then the ZX will be great for you... but if you only want to hear a better quality sound then the extra weight and lack of streaming doesn’t matter....

The one thing that I cannot understand is why when I use the sound quality options on the ZX, I get very big and instant changes in what I am hearing but when I do the same changes with the same options on the 1A I get at best a negligible change in the sound I hear... I would have thought given they both use the same processes that the FW updates would make them comparable when selecting the same options...?

But I have no doubt in my mind that for me the 1A is head and shoulders above the ZX in all the most important ways for me... and that there is still nothing from Sony in last few years to better the 1A...

Feb 8, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #31,568 of 45,723
Even if its mojo 2 there is no way it beats 1z lol.

As hugo2 was inferior to 1z in my testings.

Unless mojo 2 will have 3 million taps ? Lmao

Feb 8, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #31,569 of 45,723
Even if its mojo 2 there is no way it beats 1z lol.

As hugo2 was inferior to 1z in my testings.

Unless mojo 2 will have 3 million taps ? Lmao
I was just referring to how long it would take to release new products. Mojo is like 5 years already ? So WM2A may take 1-2 years

Mojo was even behind ZX2 IMO, except the driving power

Feb 8, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #31,571 of 45,723
I was just referring to how long it would take to release new products. Mojo is like 5 years already ? So WM2A may take 1-2 years

Mojo was even behind ZX2 IMO, except the driving power

Time to get K Mod ultimate then!

Yea chord isnt in hurry, they released the poly and called it done for a while.

+ I dislike chord because they bad isolation against interferences so all their distractions free sound advertisement is screwed by that. Sad the idea was great

Feb 8, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #31,572 of 45,723
Wow!!! Just updated from 3.00 into 3.02 firmware and there are more details and airiness in the trebles. Bass is tighter and punchier, faster. Depth also improved!

An improved in sound quality compared to 3.00

Funny I never tested but dont seem to feel any differences on 1z from 3 to 3.02

Feb 8, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #31,573 of 45,723
regarding Bluetooth streaming, I agree that direct stream on a DAP is better than using phone into LDAC. However, WM1A can also do wired DAC function :wink:

It only lacks driving power LOL. But if you only do IEMS, then why worry ? Though it would need you to stack up where a Zx500 makes more senses

If I don’t listen to MicroSD or built in flash libraries, I rather listen for conveniences and not sound quality....so LDAC from a phone into WM1A at a finger flick makes a lot more senses to me

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #31,574 of 45,723
Funny I never tested but dont seem to feel any differences on 1z from 3 to 3.02
Deep sub bass also does more defined rumbles :) !! I agree with his quote on 3.0.2

Thought I don’t have problems with Bass and dynamic :wink:

Oh!!! And excellent with IER-Z1R + stock cables btw

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #31,575 of 45,723
regarding Bluetooth streaming, I agree that direct stream on a DAP is better than using phone into LDAC. However, WM1A can also do wired DAC function :wink:

It only lacks driving power LOL. But if you only do IEMS, then why worry ? Though it would need you to stack up where a Zx500 makes more senses

If I don’t listen to MicroSD or built in flash libraries, I rather listen for conveniences and not sound quality....so LDAC from a phone into WM1A at a finger flick makes a lot more senses to me

Yea if only I could charge phone 1z at same time, use my phone for gps and its always on so it isnt a solution for me unless i can charge phone and 1z can be charged of phone...

Sq wise isnt much of a difference honestly.
Android src get involved either mods u in so....

Regarding ier-z1r and stock cable. Z1r deserves a better custom cable it becomes a new beast. Think of it as when u mod 1a. Z1r also opens up a little and get more pleasant in treble region. Ier-z1r are so performant that they will show you immediately all the changes nuances details and textures!

While stock cable is comfy and fancy. It does hold back z1r to reach their full potential.
I will also go ahead and say even wm1z isnt providing fully enough to fill z1r maybe dmp+z1r was Sonys main idea of the pinnacle of sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back