SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 8, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #31,576 of 45,723
Yea if only I could charge phone 1z at same time, use my phone for gps and its always on so it isnt a solution for me unless i can charge phone and 1z can be charged of phone...

Sq wise isnt much of a difference honestly.
Android src get involved either mods u in so....

Regarding ier-z1r and stock cable. Z1r deserves a better custom cable it becomes a new beast. Think of it as when u mod 1a. Z1r also opens up a little and get more pleasant in treble region. Ier-z1r are so performant that they will show you immediately all the changes nuances details and textures!

While stock cable is comfy and fancy. It does hold back z1r to reach their full potential.
I will also go ahead and say even wm1z isnt providing fully enough to fill z1r maybe dmp+z1r was Sonys main idea of the pinnacle of sound?

When talking about mods, I have done and conducted many different things :wink:

Depends, different cables will alternate the sound characteristics. My IER-Z1R has the core modification , and it was foam filters modification. It was carefully chosen to perform it best with stock cables. Rolling cables can also do similar without touching the filters. But IMO, I rather keep stock cables and do filters.
I did show DIY filters mod, but people still have thousands to spend in cables such as Horus and Code 5.1.

Oh...trust me....IER Z1R scales up considerably with DMP Z1. However, WM1A and WM1Z are good with it too!!

Especially of how good it can retrieve details and performances, the IER Z1R was used as references in the point of DMP Z1 and my desktop system to tune up this WM1A of mine

virtually, everything will effect the sound performances

So allows me to repeat, each modder will have different ways to achieve the desired results.

Therefore, I recommend to contact all modder, CreatorCables, Music Sanctuary, Fidelizer, express your desired goals, and see who bring you the most comfortable feeling to do business with

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #31,577 of 45,723
When talking about mods, I have done and conducted many different things :wink:

Depends, different cables will alternate the sound characteristics. My IER-Z1R has the core modification , and it was foam filters modification. It was carefully chosen to perform it best with stock cables. Rolling cables can also do similar without touching the filters. But IMO, I rather keep stock cables and do filters.
I did show DIY filters mod, but people still have thousands to spend in

Oh...trust me....IER Z1R scales up considerably with DMP Z1. However, WM1A and WM1Z are good with it too!!

Especially of how good it can retrieve details and performances, the IER Z1R was used as references in the point of DMP Z1 and my desktop system to tune up this WM1A of mine

Yeaa there is unlimited possibilities!
Cable or foamy rolling all good.

Yeaa I got no doubt ) z1r was the microscope tool to fine tune the mod on 1a )

I don't think I would ever own dmp since I am always on the go. Wm1z + k mod is the only logical and livable way for me (
Dmp is really big in size and pricey.

Feb 8, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #31,578 of 45,723

I don't think I would ever own dmp since I am always on the go. Wm1z + k mod is the only logical and livable way for me (

and the combination of DMP-Z1 and IER Z1R are exactly why I desired a modified WM1A ...Just so I can bring Sony house sound with me On the Go

DMP Z1 does it best sitting on a desk with external Power Supply...it is too big, pricey and HEAVY to take on the go lol!!

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #31,579 of 45,723
Deep and rumbling eh? Now I like that

Get back with us after 200 hours of burn in. :wink:

I'm guessing those mods need some burn-in? It's only going to get better and better. Cheers!

I bet some EMF paper shoe-horned around everything would be a final add? Though I'm not sure what the EMF paper would do to allow for Bluetooth? You could always wrap the EMF paper around everything then run the Bluetooth module to the outside of the paper? 3.0 is the very worst really. Longest database load and it will even crash from time to time. 3.01 is going to be a combination of clarity and low end, though if your original 1A lows are that changed you could try 3.02 as the clearest firmware and biggest soundstage projected.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #31,580 of 45,723
Hi guys, has anyone made a working custom ROM for wm1a/z? This DAP needs 30 bands EQ

Anyways, I have gone to 3.02 and felt that not only the bass is lacking but also the mid compared to 3.01. What could only be good about it was the staging. So I have downgraded back to 3.01 and used it ever since. 3.01 is much more musical than 3.02 and I can feel more intimacy in the mid with it.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #31,581 of 45,723
Get back with us after 200 hours of burn in. :wink:

I'm guessing those mods need some burn-in? It's only going to get better and better. Cheers!

I bet some EMF paper shoe-horned around everything would be a final add? Though I'm not sure what the EMF paper would do to allow for Bluetooth? You could always wrap the EMF paper around everything then run the Bluetooth module to the outside of the paper? 3.0 is the very worst really. Longest database load and it will even crash from time to time. 3.01 is going to be a combination of clarity and low end, though if your original 1A lows are that changed you could try 3.02 as the clearest firmware and biggest soundstage projected.

Already did upgrade to 3.0.2 and loving it!

Yeah, mods need burn in but immediate improvements could be observed and it will only get better. After 24 hours and dynamic has already improved further.

Yes, shielding sheets are in play. I tried Magnetic sheets but didn’t do too well...it absorbed details and drains the airiness. It is best to use Pure Copper shielding and I have already put it in.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #31,582 of 45,723
Already did upgrade to 3.0.2 and loving it!

Yeah, mods need burn in but immediate improvements could be observed and it will only get better. After 24 hours and dynamic has already improved further.

Yes, shielding sheets are in play. I tried Magnetic sheets but didn’t do too well...it absorbed details and drains the airiness. It is best to use Pure Copper shielding and I have already put it in.

You mean the copper plates? To shield against interferences?

Maybe a copper plated gold one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Fancy and high functionality

Feb 8, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #31,583 of 45,723
Hi guys, has anyone made a working custom ROM for wm1a/z? This DAP needs 30 bands EQ

Anyways, I have gone to 3.02 and felt that not only the bass is lacking but also the mid compared to 3.01. What could only be good about it was the staging. So I have downgraded back to 3.01 and used it ever since. 3.01 is much more musical than 3.02 and I can feel more intimacy in the mid with it.
Could you upload and share with us your 3.0.1 firmware ? Sony always take it down and put up the latest.

thank you

Feb 8, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #31,584 of 45,723
Does it sounds more like Hi-Fi, or more like analog?

If I remember correctly, unmodified 1A feels limited on both ends of bass and trebles. Maybe I should clarify more; I was comparing this with my current modded1Z. Unmodded 1A sounds lifeless, there is this lack of subbass, it’s unsatisfying.

Unmodified 1Z is amazing in its musicality and it’s 3D spatial positioning, although it sounds pretty thick like a 85% dark chocolate. But the trade off is its soundstage is smaller than unmodded 1A.

And I thought you used gold cable to add needed warmth and musicality? Or is there any other reasons?

I don't think the soundstage is smaller with the 1Z stock in comparison to a stock 1A? If anything it is thicker from front to back like a fishbowl effect. So the 1A just seems wide as it's more 2D. But yes that's the thing............the 1Z does have a thickness in sound too........like when we revert back to thinking of classic slow mid 1960s Hi-Fi. There maybe has been some firmware and IEM/1Z combinations which ended up box-like sounding in the lows.

But firmware 3.02 brings the 1Z tone more into 1980s book shelf speakers........being leaner and faster. But you're right.......that's the thing......................... there is room for the 1A to be able to get to another sound regardless of firmware.

Feb 8, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #31,586 of 45,723
Feb 8, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #31,587 of 45,723
Deep sub bass also does more defined rumbles :) !! I agree with his quote on 3.0.2

Thought I don’t have problems with Bass and dynamic :wink:

Oh!!! And excellent with IER-Z1R + stock cables btw
Withgir my chart its only valid for 1A SE out im shure if i had 1Z here i could agree with you it since to be more dinamic! you guys could add a 1Z column on it! i could upload the excel maybe?

Feb 8, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #31,588 of 45,723
I have been listening to the ZX507 the last few weeks as I used it the sound certainly changed for me... from being excessively harsh it has settled into a less harsh sound that I would now describe as aggressive...!

Yesterday I went back to my 1A ... and what a difference....at first I had said that the ZX was very different from the 1A but now I would say it’s not even in the same ball park... the 1A is so much more than the ZX in respect of sound...

The sound stage is much wider... the detail and separation is much greater... the mids are much cleaner and the highs are sharp and neither bleed into each other...

The ZX is a much better DAP in terms of its usefulness in portability etc ... the UI is much nicer... quality and speed...

So for portability I would say the ZX wins hands down.... but for sound the 1A is head and shoulders above the ZX...

I would say if you are happy when on the move with the quality of Spotify rather than Tidal or Qobuz then the ZX will be great for you... but if you only want to hear a better quality sound then the extra weight and lack of streaming doesn’t matter....

The one thing that I cannot understand is why when I use the sound quality options on the ZX, I get very big and instant changes in what I am hearing but when I do the same changes with the same options on the 1A I get at best a negligible change in the sound I hear... I would have thought given they both use the same processes that the FW updates would make them comparable when selecting the same options...?

But I have no doubt in my mind that for me the 1A is head and shoulders above the ZX in all the most important ways for me... and that there is still nothing from Sony in last few years to better the 1A...
i discussed the same to a user that was saying 1A its harsh sounding... and eh had 2 units and he had to sell them both and z507 was a much better DAP i found it hard to believe since I have heard ZX2 and ZX100 and it may come from those leagues but far better for me 1A its a step UP in detal retrieval and SQ overal staging too, maybe they are a tad warmer specially ZX2 but from what i recall bas was slower on ZX2... I have myZX100 for portable i can tell you its miles away down in several ways... but for long playback time its king...

Feb 8, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #31,589 of 45,723
i discussed the same to a user that was saying 1A its harsh sounding... and eh had 2 units and he had to sell them both and z507 was a much better DAP i found it hard to believe since I have heard ZX2 and ZX100 and it may come from those leagues but far better for me 1A its a step UP in detal retrieval and SQ overal staging too, maybe they are a tad warmer specially ZX2 but from what i recall bas was slower on ZX2... I have myZX100 for portable i can tell you its miles away down in several ways... but for long playback time its king...

U cant compaint argue against peoples placebo ears lol

Let them be happy and thrive in their harmony. They are happy its the most important lol

Feb 8, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #31,590 of 45,723

I agree, as long as you are using and will be using iem for a long while, then it makes most sense to get the best dap for it, in this case modded 1Z. You’ll get maximum enjoyment at least in the next 3-5 years.

Even if WM2Z comes out next year or two, I really doubt it will beat a modded 1Z. Unless Sony can come up with hardware that far exceed the current performance or the come up with better software, which are both very unlikely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back