SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 14, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #30,766 of 45,723
how would the zx-500 compare against the ibasso dx-220? used to own a dx200 and was very happy with it but got water damage. (if anyone knows if this is repareable that would be great). As I know what the dx200 is like its the only thing I can compare anything else too. it also uses dual 9028 sabre, couldnt find anywhere what the sony uses.
I had opportunity to carefully audition DX220 beside 1A & 1Z. In my 41 years of life I am tired of searching the summit sound. DX220 is very good. If I did not listen keeping all associated factors constant probably I would buy 220. Very detailed. Smart, streaming all together wow! But as I was only striving for ultimate sound quality, so could not stop buying 1Z. Vocal is so lushly, reach, OMG what a warm full bodied sound elements that I did not get anywhere. Mention able that even beside SP2000Cu. Pure analog, food like sound...

Dec 15, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #30,767 of 45,723
For the moment i have a Sony ZX300 dap.Now i will buy a Sony wm1a or Sony wm1z.Witch one of these has the most diferrent Sound signature against the Sony ZX300?Or is it silly to upgrade because the sound signature improvement of this two is to small against the Sony ZX300?

Dec 15, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #30,768 of 45,723
For the moment i have a Sony ZX300 dap.Now i will buy a Sony wm1a or Sony wm1z.Witch one of these has the most diferrent Sound signature against the Sony ZX300?Or is it silly to upgrade because the sound signature improvement of this two is to small against the Sony ZX300?
I have auditioned all those model. Sony's model scale up significantly with the prices. I found sound quality difference amongst the model which to me is justified to spent. To me upgrading is like new dreaming. It keeps me alive...

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #30,769 of 45,723
I see on sony's specs, that the walkman WM1A as well the A55 only support flac 24/192 but yes wave 32/384. I have bought an album of six Bach cello suites arranged for sax, sampled at 24/352.8. Will it play on the WM and the A55?

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #30,770 of 45,723
I see on sony's specs, that the walkman WM1A as well the A55 only support flac 24/192 but yes wave 32/384. I have bought an album of six Bach cello suites arranged for sax, sampled at 24/352.8. Will it play on the WM and the A55?

https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwwm1/v1/en/contents/TP0001449080.html

FLAC
Media File format: FLAC file format

File extension: .flac

Bit depth: 16, 24 bit

Sampling frequency: 8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8, 384 kHz

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #30,771 of 45,723
I own a WMA1 and have the latest firmware (BTW, the Sony Music Center for PC is horrible...locks up, stalls and other ills). I've read most posts on this forum and have endured folks comments on differing cable/connector sounds and other snake oil. In my opinion of listening/owning high end audio for over 50 years (and yes, owned much of the industry's "good stuff"), the WMA1 is just "OK" (single or balanced). If you want to hear a real difference then couple it with a Woo WA8 or other good tube DAC/Amp. The sound stage is immense, very weighty and spectacularly open with just the right sparkle. Low end puts the WMA1 to shame as does the amount of pure power available. Headphones are generally the better Hifiman planars.

Dec 15, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #30,774 of 45,723
I own a WMA1 and have the latest firmware (BTW, the Sony Music Center for PC is horrible...locks up, stalls and other ills). I've read most posts on this forum and have endured folks comments on differing cable/connector sounds and other snake oil. In my opinion of listening/owning high end audio for over 50 years (and yes, owned much of the industry's "good stuff"), the WMA1 is just "OK" (single or balanced). If you want to hear a real difference then couple it with a Woo WA8 or other good tube DAC/Amp. The sound stage is immense, very weighty and spectacularly open with just the right sparkle. Low end puts the WMA1 to shame as does the amount of pure power available. Headphones are generally the better Hifiman planars.

Well neither the 1A nor 1Z has anywhere power enough to drive planars, nor were they designed primarily for use with power hungry hard to drive full size phones so no real surprise there

Dec 15, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #30,775 of 45,723
Well neither the 1A nor 1Z has anywhere power enough to drive planars, nor were they designed primarily for use with power hungry hard to drive full size phones so no real surprise there
Granted, however these are $1200/3500 devices...there is no excuse that they should be under powered and having to make excuses for poor design decisions. And one wonders why Sony is fading fast! One additional point, for this class of music device they should have taken into consideration the type of higher end headphones the target market would be using. To come close to the performance of a planar phone or similar one would have to spend an exorbitant amount on in ear or similar. More power means additional design and battery considerations but is easily accomplished, not an engineering challenge at this price point.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #30,776 of 45,723
I respectfully disagree with your overarching assessment of "Under Powered / Poor Design Choices / Fading Fast" as it relates to SONY. As I see, SONY had been instrumental in making HR music listening a more commonly accessible concept and have brought in tremendous products in past few year to keep us from sinking into MP3 death zone.

But as I said, I respectfully disagree and do not intend it to turn into SONY bashing / SONY Fan Boy distraction.

Dec 15, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #30,777 of 45,723
Power hungry hard to drive full size phones are a poor choice to use with a portable player. By nature they need a desktop amp to maximize their potential.

I would never use my HE-400i or LCD-X straight out of the WM1A/1Z.

Dec 15, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #30,779 of 45,723
Granted, however these are $1200/3500 devices...there is no excuse that they should be under powered and having to make excuses for poor design decisions. And one wonders why Sony is fading fast! One additional point, for this class of music device they should have taken into consideration the type of higher end headphones the target market would be using. To come close to the performance of a planar phone or similar one would have to spend an exorbitant amount on in ear or similar. More power means additional design and battery considerations but is easily accomplished, not an engineering challenge at this price point.

Totally disagree with this postion but naturally you are entiteled to feel that way. The only dap I can think of that might seriously be able to drive those hard to drive phones is the Kann Cube

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back