1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. Whitigir
    Purk May sell you his DMP :) LOL!

Have you seen the market lately ? The DMP-Z1 just opened up a whole new segment of transportability! A&K is following with KANN CUBE. However, none of these newer products are going to directly competing with the DMP-Z1.

be subjective and give all the personal opinions anyone want. I love the DMP by a whole lot, from inside and out, up to my ears and closer when in bed.....WoooW

purk likes this.
  2. gerelmx1986
    Went to two MediaMarkt stores here in Germany, both sold the new walkmans closed box, so no chance for trying it

Fishdo likes this.
  3. RobertP
    Just by look inside ZX500 and WM1A board, 1A still have more and better capacitors resistors overall for better cleaner sound. I don't think I see supercapaciter inside ZX. That mean less dynamic and power. Add a bit of gold in solder for ZX terminals should provide a bit more warmth to the sound.
    I used to have ZX2 and sometimes I can hear RF interference noises in the background. I dont know if ZX500 will have the same issue or not.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Fishdo likes this.
  4. proedros
    does DSEE HX improve your WM1A listening experience ?

Can you tell what differences you feel like hearing , instead of being on direct mode/sound enhancements off ?

also does it have any hit on the battery usage ?

5. nc8000 Contributor
    All dsp effects have a hit on the battery life. The differences I heard from various effects were so small that I’d rather stick with source direct and longer battery life

rcoleman1 and proedros like this.
  6. RobertP
    Finally my wm1z came in. Looks really nice. Feel like twice heavier than 1A. So far, the 1Z sounds thicker and more forward. I'm starting break-in process now. I hope to get more open, airyer, better high extension than this after a week or maybe a month from now. Otherwise my 1A is doing surprisingly well against the 1Z. 20191212_161231.jpg

YCHANGE, auronthas, AeroSatan and 2 others like this.
  7. Quadfather

The 1A is no slouch. Keep us posted.

8. gerelmx1986
    I don't know if the days of the standalone music library and physical albums/File downloads purchases are numbered as many and many DAP Manufactirers no longer offer in-house developed os options (like walkman OS or mango Os) and are transitioning to android. That has me wondering if sonys next flagship will be android only or will continue to make the walkman OS

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    sect44 and simon740 like this.
  9. ChrisIsAwesome
    Is there a typical cycle to sony's walkman lineup? I'm wondering if WM2Z is in the foreseeable future.

10. gerelmx1986
    Regatding proedros question, I do not note such a huge difference with DSEE HX On with good quality mastering. However there are some that have very little reverb and DSEE seema to add some.more sense of space and depth to these recordings.

So @Whitigir in the DMP-Z1, which one do you like the most? A) DSEE HX or B) DSD Remastering. Which differences do you note between these two upsampling algorithms?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  11. DelsFan
    I was searching for something else, but see you've purchased an SLI-80. How are you using it, (with what) headphones or regular speakers or both? What DAC?

My thought has been, since I like the tube sound so much, that at the higher price points I'm happy to give up the last word in detail in order to get a little more warmth and spaciousness than what solid state will afford. And at the higher price point, I'm (hopefully) still getting more detail from my tube amp than from a lesser priced solid state amp.

You've had the SLI-80 for over a week now!, how do you like it?

12. bana
    I'm using with Magnepan LRS speakers. Great full bodied detail and separation, I previously had all solid state NAD. I'm using with Chord mojo DAC at this time but looking to upgrade when I get more $$.

13. meomap
    Using MC275 with Mag 3.7i.
    Wonderful sound, so airy.

14. Amber Rain

I use it with my Questyle CMA600i - nice to see the DSD light finally light up!!!

Sounds awesome!

miguel.yarce likes this.
  15. m usicguy
    just got my wma1 today. 12/14/2019 amazing out of the box.

how do i check firmware? update it. i havent had any problems with it

love it

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019