SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #29,761 of 45,723
Anyone knows what happened here.
I turned off my 1Z, removed my microSD card (I want to use it on another dap) and because the battery level is low on my 1Z so I charge it up. When it is charged up I realize all my bookmarks are gone.
this is weird, i guess that it noticed that bookmarks files have gone! and erased all!

Sep 22, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #29,762 of 45,723
Because I want to use speakers.

I use the DAP when I’m out, when I’m home I like to use speakers, specially when listening with other people in the room.
You don’t need a DAC for this. The built in DAC in the WM1A is brilliant. Just get a pair of powered speakers and a headphone amp that has pre amp output. I use my WM1A thru the pre-amp output of Magni 3 with my Creative T20ii powered speakers. Awesome sound from this combo.

Sep 22, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #29,763 of 45,723
You don’t need a DAC for this. The built in DAC in the WM1A is brilliant. Just get a pair of powered speakers and a headphone amp that has pre amp output. I use my WM1A thru the pre-amp output of Magni 3 with my Creative T20ii powered speakers. Awesome sound from this combo.

Thanks! So you take the single ended headphone output, 3.5mm, and use a mini plug to rca cable, connect that to the Magni 3, and then take the Magni RCA output to the powered speakers?

I already have a Pre amp, amp combo. Rotel RC6-RB6, the pre amp has a media mini plug input, so I guess I can just skip the Magni 3 and plug the DAP to the preamplifier? Is it safe?

Talking about Schiit products, is the Modi 3 any good? Will it sound similar to the DAP, or better or worse?

Sep 23, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #29,764 of 45,723
Thanks! So you take the single ended headphone output, 3.5mm, and use a mini plug to rca cable, connect that to the Magni 3, and then take the Magni RCA output to the powered speakers?

I already have a Pre amp, amp combo. Rotel RC6-RB6, the pre amp has a media mini plug input, so I guess I can just skip the Magni 3 and plug the DAP to the preamplifier? Is it safe?

Talking about Schiit products, is the Modi 3 any good? Will it sound similar to the DAP, or better or worse?
Yes I use the 3.5mm output to rca input of magni and rca output to my speakers. You could also connect 3.5mm from WM1A directly to 3.5mm of your pre amp.
As for the modi 3 which is a DAC I don’t use it so can’t comment on it. I’m happy with the WM1A DAC.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #29,765 of 45,723
Yes I use the 3.5mm output to rca input of magni and rca output to my speakers. You could also connect 3.5mm from WM1A directly to 3.5mm of your pre amp.
As for the modi 3 which is a DAC I don’t use it so can’t comment on it. I’m happy with the WM1A DAC.

why go via the Magni and not straight from the dap to the powered speakers ?

Sep 23, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #29,766 of 45,723
why go via the Magni and not straight from the dap to the powered speakers ?
My rig is setup that way on the desktop and the high gain setting on the magni helps boost the dynamics as well. I get better volume control using the magni compared to direct as well.

Sep 23, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #29,767 of 45,723

I've discovered this as well when trying to use my WM1A headphone out into a desktop amp vs using the WM1A as a digital transport into an external DAC, then into an amp. The only caveat to using the WM1A's built in DAC is that you don't get the 2vrms output into your amp, which will require you to use high gain at a higher volume setting for harder to drive cans. While it sounds fantastic, the headphone out is not very powerful. On the flipside, the lower volume output of the Sony will allow more volume control when driving efficient cans and iems from your desktop amp. Aside from power, another argument for using an external DAC vs the Sony internal DAC into an external amp/speakers is if you plan to use a non delta sigma DAC, like an Airist R2R or Schiit Multibit DAC, if that type of sound is preferred.

Sep 23, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #29,768 of 45,723

I've discovered this as well when trying to use my WM1A headphone out into a desktop amp vs using the WM1A as a digital transport into an external DAC, then into an amp. The only caveat to using the WM1A's built in DAC is that you don't get the 2vrms output into your amp, which will require you to use high gain at a higher volume setting for harder to drive cans. While it sounds fantastic, the headphone out is not very powerful. On the flipside, the lower volume output of the Sony will allow more volume control when driving efficient cans and iems from your desktop amp. Aside from power, another argument for using an external DAC vs the Sony internal DAC into an external amp/speakers is if you plan to use a non delta sigma DAC, like an Airist R2R or Schiit Multibit DAC, if that type of sound is preferred.

Thank you both!

Yeah I just tried it connected to the 3.5mm port, labeled media player in my preamp, but I have to turn the volume on the WM1A almost all the way up, It doesn’t sound bad, but the DSD files sound just the same as regular FLAC’s form my other source(Olive 03HD) media server. And I’m afraid having the volume all the way up will distort the sound a bit.

Does the Schiit Multibit DAC accepts DSD files form the Sony WM1A? Will the Sony convert them? Will they even sound at all? That’s my main concern, I don’t want to spend on something and then figuring out it won’t work.

BTW, which DAC did you used? Did it played DSD files correctly?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #29,769 of 45,723
Thank you both!

Yeah I just tried it connected to the 3.5mm port, labeled media player in my preamp, but I have to turn the volume on the WM1A almost all the way up, It doesn’t sound bad, but the DSD files sound just the same as regular FLAC’s form my other source(Olive 03HD) media server. And I’m afraid having the volume all the way up will distort the sound a bit.

Does the Schiit Multibit DAC accepts DSD files form the Sony WM1A? Will the Sony convert them? Will they even sound at all? That’s my main concern, I don’t want to spend on something and then figuring out it won’t work.

BTW, which DAC did you used? Did it played DSD files correctly?

Thanks again.

Good ears! Only the balanced output support native DSD. 3.5mm port is DSD converted to PCM before amp stage.

Sep 23, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #29,770 of 45,723
Good bass vibes with my IER-Z1R . Organ bass line to accompany the choir
15692601154831288571358781433100.jpg

Sep 23, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #29,774 of 45,723
Thanks, yeah I thought that was the case. So, there’s a way to get balanced output to a preamp or amp? Like a 4.4mm balanced output to xlr?

yes 4.4mm to balanced xlr will work

Sep 23, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #29,775 of 45,723
3.02.jpg

Sony NW-WM1Z DIgital Audio Player (Japanese Tourist Edition) FW 3.02
Sony IER-Z1R IEM #124 (Sony Silicone Hybrid Tips)(Included cable 4.4 Pentaconn to MMCX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back