1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. mmwwmm
    To download any of the older firmware you just need to replace the firmware version number in the latest firmware download link at Sony site for the version desired

That is:

http://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/WM1/NW-WM1_V3_02.exe
    http://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/WM1/NW-WM1_V3_01.exe
    http://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/WM1/NW-WM1_V1_20.exe

...etc

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Maxx134, Peter Ruby and captblaze like this.
  2. Lookout57
    Works great as a DSD transport.

Pablovi likes this.
  3. bigmachine33
    hi, just wanted to get some opinions from other members here, is it still worth getting the wm1a now (in 2019 Q4) ? i'm currently using NW-A35 as my DAP to listen to my flac files and for streaming i use my LG G6 as a dedicated music player. Now that the newer walkman models e.g., zx500 and nw-a100 are coming, i'm not sure if those would come close the sound of wm1a... and if the wm1a is still worth getting now. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    PointyFox likes this.
  4. gerelmx1986
    also great as USB DAC, have tested it with media go (yeah 2019 Q4 still using Media Go) with ASIO mode and I get USB DAC for DSD ip to 11MHZ

5. Midnstorms
    yes? I wish it had two outputs! maybe that they include a balanced to unbalanced adapter and let you use both in dap mode so i can connect my main speakers and woofer

6. Jalo
    Anyone knows what happened here.
    I turned off my 1Z, removed my microSD card (I want to use it on another dap) and because the battery level is low on my 1Z so I charge it up. When it is charged up I realize all my bookmarks are gone.

7. nc8000 Contributor
    well if they refer to files on the microSD they would be gone as those files are no longer there with the card removed

Steen Pihl likes this.
  8. Pablovi
    Thanks!

Can anyone recommend a budget desktop DAC to use this DAP as a DSD transport?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  9. nc8000 Contributor
    why not use the dap itself. I don’t think you’ll find a budget dac that is better though you might find one with a different flavour

Sp12er3 likes this.
  10. Pablovi
    Because I want to use speakers.

I use the DAP when I’m out, when I’m home I like to use speakers, specially when listening with other people in the room.

11. nc8000 Contributor
    Just use one of the headphone outputs as a line signal, the signal is clean enough that you won't notice any bad effects from double amping

Sp12er3, simon740 and Pablovi like this.
  12. Pablovi
    I was told it could be risky, that a “leak of current” from the amp could damage the DAP, I was told in Spanish, so don’t know how that translates to English.

Would that be the same than using a digital out to, let say, a fiio K5 Pro, or similar?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  13. MrLocoLuciano
    Exactly the same !

Pablovi likes this.
  14. gerelmx1986
    I second this, especially with audiophile class systems like the Fisher audio from my ex from hamburg

15. Midnstorms
    this is weird, i guess that it noticed that bookmarks files have gone! and erased all!