1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. Mund1
    I would think, expect really, that Sony would step up to the plate here and fix at a much lower price than that; free even! A lot of $ initially spent to purchase that thing, then, a hit like that to repair, ouch!

Where is the customer service of decades ago... LOL

Early 1980's, I purchased a new receiver a Sansui G-7700. I wanted to crank out some good classic rock tunes, but my speakers were not as nice as my fathers custom built top of the line Electro-Voice set up. They were nearly 25-30 years old. Long story short... I blew the fancy stainless steel horn tweeters. I called Electro-Voice, sent them in, they were either fixed or replaced I don't recall... but Free of Charge, I recall that! This was exceptional customer service. I blew the tweeters out of negligence too.

What I am saying here. Sony should really just fix the darn thing. Maybe I have become old, old school thinking...

2. Redcarmoose
    C94F4621-7211-424F-A452-9CCC47471DB2.gif

Hyde8767 and Mund1 like this.
  3. wackoip

Well you're not the only one with old school thinking, I absolutely agree with you but then this is 2019 and nowadays Sony is well "new school" (and ruthless) I guess

Mund1 likes this.
  4. gsiu33
    Replace the circuit board means you have to go through the burning process, am I correct ?

5. Nayparm
    Wow i'd fix it for you if you where in the UK. Then again it still sounds like it would be way cheaper with shipping both ways.

Actually, give Romi-Audio a call in Hong Kong. I'm sure they will fix it for you or for similar money Sony where going to charge actually recieve upgraded internal headphone socket cables, also options to add elna caps, noise shielding etc

hamhamhamsta likes this.
  6. wackoip
    Oh S**t, I didn't ask but you are probably correct. Oh my life is so miserable!

7. wackoip
    Interesting, I'll check

8. Mund1
    Ask Sony, considering the totality of overall costs, the time you have had it, the minimal usage; if they would consider fixing it for you perhaps at a reduced price or free as a courtesy?

Worth a try.. right!

9. romnation
    Currently torn between the Spiral Ears SE 5 way ultimate and the 64 Audio A18T CIEMs for my NW-WM1Z. Which one do you guys think is better matched?

10. Mund1
    012 side tag.jpg

The product sticker on the side, a bit vague compared to the others, but I believe it's for Canadian products (where it came from) I saw a few others on Canadian websites that had the same. Unlike the many US posted versions. Even though they are to be the same, Canada - US versions. Can anyone confirm ?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  11. Nayparm
    The edge of the 4.4mm pentacon is normal on Sony and any other manufacturers daps. something I noticed when I first saw one on a WM1A, the dings and scrape suck. I'd return it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Mund1 likes this.
  12. Quadfather
    Help. I just got Bob James Espresso in DSD (.dsf files) and album art will not show up.

13. ashanti34
    Anyone know why my WM1Z shows only 304 hrs when I have used it for many more hours that this ?

14. gerelmx1986
    Has it restarted at some point? If yes, then the hours are not saved after a sudden restart

15. gerelmx1986
    Yesterday my Walkman USB cable gave up, I got false contact to PC and it mounted and dismounted pretty quickly. Went into panic thinking my SD card was bad or my Walkman motherboard was bad. Fortunately have the brand new unused cable of the wm1a on hand (dead one was from my zx100)