SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #27,781 of 45,723
But then I won't be able to pair it with my Shure KSE1500 which IMHO has the best synergy with 1Z. That is one major reason I will reluctantly pay.......

Or maybe think about getting a nice new cable with the 4.4 for your Shures...
From what I hear the sound quality out of the 4.4 of the 1Z is worth it anyways, and if you must spend, might as well upgrade your cable and sound experience... a good quality cable can cost you less than 600.

Apr 26, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #27,782 of 45,723
I would think, expect really, that Sony would step up to the plate here and fix at a much lower price than that; free even! A lot of $ initially spent to purchase that thing, then, a hit like that to repair, ouch!

Where is the customer service of decades ago... LOL

Early 1980's, I purchased a new receiver a Sansui G-7700. I wanted to crank out some good classic rock tunes, but my speakers were not as nice as my fathers custom built top of the line Electro-Voice set up. They were nearly 25-30 years old. Long story short... I blew the fancy stainless steel horn tweeters. I called Electro-Voice, sent them in, they were either fixed or replaced I don't recall... but Free of Charge, I recall that! This was exceptional customer service. I blew the tweeters out of negligence too.

What I am saying here. Sony should really just fix the darn thing. Maybe I have become old, old school thinking...

Apr 26, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #27,783 of 45,723
I would think, expect really, that Sony would step up to the plate here and fix at a much lower price than that; free even! A lot of $ initially spent to purchase that thing, then, a hit like that to repair, ouch!

Early 1980's, I purchased a new receiver a Sansui G-7700. I wanted to crank out some good classic rock tunes, but my speakers were not as nice as my fathers custom built top of the line Electro-Voice set up. They were nearly 25-30 years old. Long story short... I blew the fancy stainless steel horn tweeters. I called Electro-Voice, sent them in, they were either fixed or replaced I don't recall... but Free of Charge, I recall that! This was exceptional customer service. I blew the tweeters out of negligence too.

What I am saying here. Sony should really just fix the darn thing. Maybe I have become old, old school thinking...

C94F4621-7211-424F-A452-9CCC47471DB2.gif

Apr 26, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #27,784 of 45,723

Well you're not the only one with old school thinking, I absolutely agree with you but then this is 2019 and nowadays Sony is well "new school" (and ruthless) I guess

Apr 26, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #27,785 of 45,723
Oh Crap, a few days ago the 3.5mm output was dead but 4.4mm one was fine. Took it to Sony (Hong Kong) for a quote to repair. It turned out they have to replace the circuit board and I have to pay HK$4,800 (US$615) to repair it. I bought it at the end of October 2016 (didn't realised it's that long ago, time flies!) and obviously warranty doesn't cover. But I am really hesitating whether I should go ahead and pay for the repair.
Replace the circuit board means you have to go through the burning process, am I correct ?

Apr 26, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #27,786 of 45,723
Oh Crap, a few days ago the 3.5mm output was dead but 4.4mm one was fine. Took it to Sony (Hong Kong) for a quote to repair. It turned out they have to replace the circuit board and I have to pay HK$4,800 (US$615) to repair it. I bought it at the end of October 2016 (didn't realised it's that long ago, time flies!) and obviously warranty doesn't cover. But I am really hesitating whether I should go ahead and pay for the repair.

Wow i'd fix it for you if you where in the UK. Then again it still sounds like it would be way cheaper with shipping both ways.

Actually, give Romi-Audio a call in Hong Kong. I'm sure they will fix it for you or for similar money Sony where going to charge actually recieve upgraded internal headphone socket cables, also options to add elna caps, noise shielding etc

Apr 26, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #27,788 of 45,723
Wow i'd fix it for you if you where in the UK. Then again it still sounds like it would be way cheaper with shipping both ways.

Actually, give Romi-Audio a call in Hong Kong. I'm sure they will fix it for you or for similar money Sony where going to charge actually recieve upgraded internal headphone socket cables, also options to add elna caps, noise shielding etc
Interesting, I'll check

Apr 26, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #27,789 of 45,723
Ask Sony, considering the totality of overall costs, the time you have had it, the minimal usage; if they would consider fixing it for you perhaps at a reduced price or free as a courtesy?

Worth a try.. right!

Apr 27, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #27,791 of 45,723
012 side tag.jpg

The product sticker on the side, a bit vague compared to the others, but I believe it's for Canadian products (where it came from) I saw a few others on Canadian websites that had the same. Unlike the many US posted versions. Even though they are to be the same, Canada - US versions. Can anyone confirm ?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #27,792 of 45,723
The edge of the 4.4mm pentacon is normal on Sony and any other manufacturers daps. something I noticed when I first saw one on a WM1A, the dings and scrape suck. I'd return it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back