SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #26,356 of 45,723
You've absolutely got me on that one! Signalyst makes no mention of any MQA support so the best it should be able to do is the same as the Calyx (ie 24/44.1) although I do know its a fiendishly capable piece of software. Do you know what protocol it is using to divert its output to USB? I'm wandering whether Signalyst is actually "playing", or if it is actually sending the MQA file via USB as a "sort of dumb file server"......

Is there any forum where Signalyst is discussed?

I am guessing with the DSP engine turned off it is acting as a pass through file transport and with DSP engaged it up or down converts to what you tell it to do

Dec 31, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #26,358 of 45,723
I'm thinking about getting the 1a as transport for my desktop rig with the cradle. I think being battery powered reduces all the USB noise. Can anyone comment on the SQ of 1a as transport to PC USB feeding desktop DAC? I do have a good audiophile grade USB card that's fed by a LPS.

Dec 31, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #26,359 of 45,723
Wow guys, this MQA thing is starting to get really confusing.

Is there an option for a MQA passthrough in UAPP?

Dec 31, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #26,360 of 45,723
I don't trust mqa it seems to be lossy version of Hi-res. I'll stick with FLAC and DSD

MQA is lossy yes, but sound quality is very very good, I don't think one can easily notice if it's a lossy file or not.

And for some people it's close to DSD, too. But for me DSD version of same track is a little more smooth and effortless than it's MQA version.

I think the selling point of MQA is mostly streaming services at this point. It reduces file sizes to abt. 1/10 of DSD and 1/4 of a flac. And still keeping sound quality amazingly good.

That is why Tidal gives a big importance to Master library.

Dec 31, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #26,361 of 45,723

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #26,362 of 45,723
Hello,
I am currently interested in Sony cradle (bcr-nwh10) to be using with WM1A and Sony TA dac/amp. However, I have questions as follows if anyone can give me advices.
1. Can it digitally output DSD file to outboard DAC?
2. Does it sound better than using sony dock cable (wmport to usb a)?

In all, is it worth buying?
Your advice is appreciated.
Happy New Year.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #26,363 of 45,723
Wow guys, this MQA thing is starting to get really confusing.

Yes, Sony really do need to put something out that gives a quick summary of exactly what their MQA renderer supports. ATM, we're standing with the bonnet of an engine open, peering in, and trying to decide exactly what does what based upon the colour of the smoke coming out of the exhaust! I think most things have become clearer, although there are still some unexplained anomalies.

The basic theory behind MQA is simple enough (even if the mathematics is way more complex), but things start to get seriously muddy when we start throwing obscure ways of throwing MQA files at these players. Added to this is the proprietary nature of MQA; we are at the behest of Bob Stuart and MQA to explain things. MQA as a format needs a better, clearer explanation - people read on wikipedia that's is a lossy format, and run a mile without realising that their 16/48 and probably 24/96 are also lossy, and probably more so! I accept its primarily a streaming format, but it does offer tremendous potential for consumers such as myself, who want all their music available on a portable player, but who are constrained by the way the flash storage industry drip feed increased capacity onto the market. I just wish there was more of it about for "over the counter purchase".

Is there an option for a MQA passthrough in UAPP?

As for that, I have no idea! There does seem to be a lot of discussion around about what UAPP brings to the party, but once again it seems to be empirical in nature - people trying stuff and seeing what happens. Nobody who has actually put this stuff together at a technical level (ie, written the software) seems to be chiming in, so people continue to stumble round in the dark bumping into things.

Dec 31, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #26,364 of 45,723
Yes, Sony really do need to put something out that gives a quick summary of exactly what their MQA renderer supports.

Nobody who has actually put this stuff together at a technical level (ie, written the software) seems to be chiming in, so people continue to stumble round in the dark bumping into things.

Being at the mercy of hardware and software developers one has to take a different approach. kinda like throwing darts blindfolded. you know you are gonna hit something, but what it is???

Dec 31, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #26,365 of 45,723
I’ve just downloaded all the MQA stereo samples from the 2L web site and put them on my 3.01 1Z and when played they all just show as flac 44khz or 48khz at 24 bit, no indication that they should be mqa

Dec 31, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #26,366 of 45,723
I’ve just downloaded all the MQA stereo samples from the 2L web site and put them on my 3.01 1Z and when played they all just show as flac 44khz or 48khz at 24 bit, no indication that they should be mqa

Which format did you choose when downloading?

You need to download from the

MQA stereo

original resolution

column.The files should end with .flac.mqa (a double file extension).

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #26,367 of 45,723
Which format did you choose when downloading?

You need to download from the

MQA stereo

original resolution

column.The files should end with .flac.mqa (a double file extension).

Yes those are the ones I have downloaded. I have renamed them, do they actually have to be .mqa.flac to be recognized as mqa ?

Dec 31, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #26,368 of 45,723
Yes those are the ones I have downloaded. I have renamed them, do they actually have to be .mqa.flac to be recognized as mqa ?

yes, otherwise the player just thinks they are flac files an treats them as such.....

<EDIT> and the file extensions should .flac.mqa (not the other way around).</EDIT>

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #26,369 of 45,723

You should download “MQA original resolution” from the 2L website.

Dec 31, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #26,370 of 45,723
Hello,
I am currently interested in Sony cradle (bcr-nwh10) to be using with WM1A and Sony TA dac/amp. However, I have questions as follows if anyone can give me advices.
1. Can it digitally output DSD file to outboard DAC?
2. Does it sound better than using sony dock cable (wmport to usb a)?

In all, is it worth buying?
Your advice is appreciated.
Happy New Year.
1. Yes, I have the same setup and DSD is sent to the TA for decoding.
2. Yes, the BCR-NWH10 has better electronics in the USB interface which improves the sound.

To get the best sound get a good USB cable like the Audioquest Carbon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back