SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #22,681 of 45,723
According to the presentation, Sony Vynil-Processors also reproduces those magical tiny surfaces noises (aka scratches) :D
I was looking into it, they might be adding the noise feature, hoping it is a joke as I dont see the point. However there is a reason behind it. LP never stops feeding voltage to the preamp unit so the speakers connect are always active during the quiet passage and track to track changes. In the DAP domain this doesnt happen, the headphone/iem only gets voltage when there is a request for it, hence a more "unnatural, note transition".

I see the logic, and I'm happy to be able to try it for myself.

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #22,686 of 45,723
The wm port will only do digital out not analog

If you are sure of this, then it's a no go : the amp needs an analog audio input...

Can someone confirme this for certain, because it will determine the type of cable I will buy...

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #22,687 of 45,723
According to the presentation, Sony Vynil-Processors also reproduces those magical tiny surfaces noises (aka scratches) :D

I'm all for being nostalgic, but wasn't one of the reasons to go digital was to lose the clicks, pops and the sound of the needle tracking?

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #22,688 of 45,723
I'm all for being nostalgic, but wasn't one of the reasons to go digital was to lose the clicks, pops and the sound of the needle tracking?
You are correct, but human always strive for things they don’t have. So basically our greeds lead us round and round, and hence people with greed will never be satisfied :D

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #22,689 of 45,723
So if I wanted to connect the woo audio wa11 I would need 4.4 to 4.4 cable?

Either that or the Sony wm port digital cable to use the Woo dac in place of the Sony dac

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #22,691 of 45,723

Yes but some prefer the analog sound of lp to the digital sound so this is what Sony try to emulate. The Sony designer said that it was a feature he found interesting so he wanted to give us the chances to try it and decide for ourself

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #22,692 of 45,723
It is only supposed to click at sample changing and nothing with volume control

Yes I don’t get any clicks from the volume control only when the sampke rate clock shifts and as I always play entire albums and don’t shuffle I never get the click

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #22,693 of 45,723
You are correct, but human always strive for things they don’t have. So basically our greeds lead us round and round, and hence people with greed will never be satisfied :D

Yes but some prefer the analog sound of lp to the digital sound so this is what Sony try to emulate. The Sony designer said that it was a feature he found interesting so he wanted to give us the chances to try it and decide for ourself

Well since Sony insists on adding that feature, the least I can do is give it a listen. The worst thing that can happen is I enjoy the way it is implemented

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #22,695 of 45,723
Can someone confirme this for certain, because it will determine the type of cable I will buy...

It seems that the wm port spec does support analog audio. Sony used to sell a wm port to 3.5 cable but no more. Similar cables are available on eBay. Wether they will work with the WM players or only older devices I have no idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back