SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #21,151 of 45,723
To be honest, I also have a dead pixel on the screen, although the unit is 2 weeks old. Does it have anything to do to where the unit is produced? Mine is from Malaysia.

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #21,152 of 45,723
03CB7514-B06D-4A5B-864E-56B85A9D82C4.jpeg

Funny I never look at the screen that close as my ears are having an orgasm.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #21,153 of 45,723
I agree i just only see the screen briefly, and if i see it longer, i've not noticed any dead pixels or flickering on mine.

Currently enjoying Vinyl Rip 24/96 Vivaldi Sonatas Op. 1 for two Violins and Continuo - I Musici - Philips as part of that Edizione Vivaldi of 1978 set of 10 boxes containing alltogether 49 LP

Jun 21, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #21,155 of 45,723
Finished listening to these Vivaldi Vinyls as 24/96, wow, the resolution of 24/96 simply wins over the Philips later-released CDs Bass impact clearly on a 24/96, same goes for inner resolution and micro detailings. Some instrument get blended and lost in the CD Philips master vs the vinyl Rips at 24/96 Resolution, which retain all the instruments. some minor blemishes associated with vinyls but the benefits of being well preserved vinyls and the 24/96 resolution outshadows the rather minimal negatives.

These vinyl rips presented me with more:

bass impact
more reverb
once-lost instruments, are there, esp the Harpsichord used in these recordings was not a true copy, rather a piano frame with a harpsichord mechanism

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #21,156 of 45,723
To be honest, I also have a dead pixel on the screen, although the unit is 2 weeks old. Does it have anything to do to where the unit is produced? Mine is from Malaysia.
Is it a pixel black (dead pixel) or stuck in a bright colour (bright pixel)? I don't think it has anything to do with where it is made. Perhaps they didn't specify for a '100% binned' screen for a product that is intended to 'only' sound excellent? That would be additional costs to a feature that doesn't help the product at all. I'm guessing of course (based on my experience as a product manager). But then it doesn't make sense because my NW-A25 have a perfect screen. Again the screen is low resolution and the yield would have been great anyway. It would annoy me though if Sony did this to keep their margin higher on a luxury product.

But I'm happy with my new unit now. Sounds just as nice as the first one. I need to do the burn in again now.

Funny I never look at the screen that close as my ears are having an orgasm.
So true. Its the perspective and usage scenario I guess.

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #21,157 of 45,723
Hi Redcarmoose. Thanks for your detailed response

It sounded to be a real convulted way to enjoy music. If I understand you correctly, or WM1-A will become Transport only connected to external DAC. I am thinking outlouf that I am better off get the HAP-Z1ES instead of TA-ZH1ES or something similar

I will start saving and wait for a while. I am seeing more product like Cambridge Audio.

Thanks

Sadly there is no line level out. I have the Dock which is for adding the DAPs to a computer or Sony TA headphone amplifier and as an added bonus you can use the Dock to go USB to your outboard DAC......then to an amp. With the dongle you can add the DAPs as file players to an outboard DAC then to an amp or just to a computer; also to the TA amp.

It has been said in this thread that using the Dock has added processing which goes above the Dongle to improve the digital transfer either to your outboard DAC or to the TA headphone amp. I’m not sure if it improves connections between the DAPs and a computer?

But going 3.5mm miniplug to 2X RCA to another headphone amp (Asgard One) was not sounding right due to double amping. Though I do go mini 3.5mm to mini 3.5mm to the input at the front of my A/V receiver, just to play a song or two. It sounds OK, but your still double amping.

Your DAC in most cases is going to have a line level out. Many DAPs do have line level outs, but the Sony does not. In most cases we are always attempting to avoid two volume controls, thus double amping. Double amping almost always degrades the signal.

From what I have read your best getting the Dock and going digital USB out using a Audioquest Carbon or Audioquest Cinnamon upgrade USB cable to an outboard DAC then to your amp. I primarily use the Sony TA amp for headphones but could also go 1Z or 1A to the Sony TA headphone amp then go line out with the regular RCA cables to an amp. The TA headphone amp lets you choose between line level out or even volume controlled out, say if you wanted to go RCA to powered speakers and use the TA as your preamp. The expense in this situation is you have to purchase the TA headphone amp. But the upgrade is you get to use the next level upscaling the TA amp uses and past that upscaling along to your speaker amp.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #21,158 of 45,723

It sounded to be a real convulted way to enjoy music. If I understand you correctly, or WM1-A will become Transport only connected to external DAC. I am thinking outlouf that I am better off get the TA-ZH1ES or something similar

I will start saving and wait for a while. I am seeing more product like Cambridge Audio.

Thanks

You’ll still be using the player as just a transport. The only way to get an analog signal to an external amp from these players is via the headphone output

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #21,159 of 45,723

It sounded to be a real convulted way to enjoy music. If I understand you correctly, or WM1-A will become Transport only connected to external DAC. I am thinking outlouf that I am better off get the TA-ZH1ES or something similar

Thanks

Well, it not convoluted when your using it as it’s all basicly options. It’s simple when you use it. But the TA amp is nice as again it offers all the options. Any headphone connection it has. Though it’s not the most powerful amp. I heard it wasn’t the most powerful before I purchased it. But it has all the power I need. It can’t drive the k701s well, but that’s kind of normal, almost nothing can.

But for me going analogue out via the 3.5mm single ended sounded like crap with my Asgard. It was the perfect example of double amping.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #21,160 of 45,723
Thanks. Seems.i will.go.with standard route. Will do research.
Well, it not convoluted when your using it as it’s all basicly options. It’s simple when you use it. But the TA amp is nice as again it offers all the options. Any headphone connection it has. Though it’s not the most powerful amp. I heard it wasn’t the most powerful before I purchased it. But it has all the power I need. It can’t drive the k701s well, but that’s kind of normal, almost nothing can.

But for me going analogue out via the 3.5mm single ended sounded like crap with my Asgard. It was the perfect example of double amping.

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #21,161 of 45,723
Thanks. Seems.i will.go.with standard route. Will do research.

Laughably.............I quoted you the standard route? There is no other choice. It may have seemed confusing but your going to have to get to a DAC and bypass the Sony amplifier stage. There is simply no other way, unless your into bad audio.

It only seems convoluted when your on the learning curve, but once you own a dongle or have the Dock, this stuff is pretty simple stuff.

The cheap route is get the dongle and get a low cost USB DAC, you’ll notice the difference from using a 3.5mm cable to RCA to an amp.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #21,162 of 45,723
Laughably.............I quoted you the standard route? There is no other choice. It may have seemed confusing but your going to have to get to a DAC and bypass the Sony amplifier stage. There is simply no other way, unless your into bad audio.

It only seems convoluted when your on the learning curve, but once you own a dongle or have the Dock, this stuff is pretty simple stuff.

The cheap route is get the dongle and get a low cost USB DAC, you’ll notice the difference from using a 3.5mm cable to RCA to an amp.

Good luck.
By standard I meant i get sony hap-z1es and connect to Marantz AVR and call it a day or get integrated DAC & amp connect to Marantz eith HT bypass. I am just getting back to music. I am not in rush and don’t really have luxury to sit and listen without disturbing others. For now i will just sit and learn here ane be happy with Wm1a and headphones. Have been looking at Gustard product too. Exciting it is.

I would rather not making too much compromises because I will end up spending more upgrading.

Plus I feel super noob learning all the ropes again with digital files.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #21,163 of 45,723
I would rather not making too much compromises because I will end up spending more upgrading.

You tell me about it! Lol! Anyways, if you are happy with portable and the way that it is, don’t bother the little things, otherwise you will be spending your next car on a system LOL

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #21,164 of 45,723
Some pages back there was a discussion over MegaBass and such effects. And that, those were added in because early digital tech didn't deliver the bass impact.

Well, It also depends on mastering. Taking again those Vivaldi CDs with I musici on Philips. The bass on the CD sound muffled, soft. That same bass section on the HD vinyl transfer (24/96) sounds more impactful and more prominent.

So it may be true that early tech played a role in soft bass and thus the megaBass, also the mastering plays a role, fortunately these walkman can EQ quite easily and actually is responsive and works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back