SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #21,106 of 45,723
Hi all!

Any experience on the pairing of WM1A with Sennheiser ie800 (not 800s !)? I recently bought the Walkman and I really don't like what I am hearing. The sound is congested and not clear at all. I have close to 100 hours burn-in.

Any suggestions on IEM pairing would be greatly appreciated since I don't have the opportunity to try different pairings.

Thanks a lot, guys!

My Shure se846 sounded okay, but the player after full burn and seems to play much nicer with headphones. The sound out of the balanced output on my Shure SRH1540 headphones and my Sennheiser HD650 headphones is absolutely sublime. Wide-open, huge as a matter of fact... Detailed, delicate, beautifully natural. My in-ear-monitor experience again acceptable but not fantastic.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #21,107 of 45,723
For the moment, I am just analyzing the sound, but i have previous audiophile auditions. However, something doesn't seem to be good, everything is congested, maybe the Walkman is not able to properly drive these ie800. I found some previous posts that refer to this, with opinions being split somewhat. I am curious what are you using as good pairing with the player. I thought Senn ie800 is one of the most versatile IEM, but, again, I don't like what I'm hearing, and to my big surprise.

Jun 17, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #21,108 of 45,723
Dear Quadfather,

Thank you for the opinion. I have just bought the player, so I only have the iems with me, when i get home, I will try the Sens hd600. However, I am curious as to what IEM would be a good match, since i like more iems on the go then the headphones.

Thanks again and I am waiting for other opinions.

Tudor

Jun 17, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #21,109 of 45,723
Dear Quadfather,

Thank you for the opinion. I have just bought the player, so I only have the iems with me, when i get home, I will try the Sens hd600. However, I am curious as to what IEM would be a good match, since i like more iems on the go then the headphones.

Tudor
I have the IE800 and I like what I hear. Which earth's do you use? The sound of any IEM first and foremost depends on the fit in the ear canal. I use the large round tips, not the ovals. With the ovals the seal was never perfect for me. Also I wear them over ear cabled, which enhances the fit and sound additionally. I find them rather open sounding not congested.

Jun 17, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #21,110 of 45,723
For the moment, I am just analyzing the sound, but i have previous audiophile auditions. However, something doesn't seem to be good, everything is congested, maybe the Walkman is not able to properly drive these ie800. I found some previous posts that refer to this, with opinions being split somewhat. I am curious what are you using as good pairing with the player. I thought Senn ie800 is one of the most versatile IEM, but, again, I don't like what I'm hearing, and to my big surprise.
somethins to consider things what firmware are you on? Ie800 must be a sensitive iem... iyou can be hearing piercing.... sound that will end when player its fully burned at 400hs apx.. congested... maybe some other people can answer that i dont hear congestion... depens what a re you comparing to... hope you can keep us inofrmed on this one.. try Over ear headphones good quality ones... try balanced... balanced is the way to go... it should run easy IE800.. its an awesome iem you shouldn have trouble, try the iem on other source... PC maybe DAC...

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #21,111 of 45,723
Dear Quadfather,

Tudor

Never tried the 600, but I imagine they would be somewhat similar.

Jun 17, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #21,112 of 45,723
I really really want to buy this but I need another DAP like I need another wife. I'm really intrigued by everything this offers. Ill have to sell a few DAPs maybe to justify another.
I like that Chris (HBB) finds this to be a keeper and some of the others in this thread that I know and trust that also find to be a great DAP.

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #21,113 of 45,723
I really really want to buy this but I need another DAP like I need another wife. I'm really intrigued by everything this offers. Ill have to sell a few DAPs maybe to justify another.
I like that Chris (HBB) finds this to be a keeper and some of the others in this thread that I know and trust that also find to be a great DAP.
It is

Jun 18, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #21,115 of 45,723
I have the IE800 and I like what I hear. Which earth's do you use? The sound of any IEM first and foremost depends on the fit in the ear canal. I use the large round tips, not the ovals. With the ovals the seal was never perfect for me. Also I wear them over ear cabled, which enhances the fit and sound additionally. I find them rather open sounding not congested.

Dear pietcux,

Thank you for the reply. I use the oval tips, but I haven't noticed that the sealing is not good. Anyway, I will aldo try the round tips, just to exclude all possibilities. With regards to the balanced channel, do you have recommendations regarding a pair of cables that could do the trick for the IE800?

Thanks a lot!

Jun 18, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #21,116 of 45,723
i am almost 1 year with the WM1A and i have nothing but good things to say about it

in fact, being with wm1a and zeus XR it's been the first time in my 8 years here where i have stopped looking for the next upgrade and i am simply enjoying the music

great balanced sound , HUGE battery , small but beautiful looking = good job SONY

Jun 18, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #21,117 of 45,723
Hey guys, I recently got the Sony WM1A and it is a great sounding DAP. However I also found some bright pixels new out of box. They are actually bright pixels and a couple of stuck pixels in red and green. They are very noticeable during start up because the display crank to full brightness. I counted between 5-7 of such pixels. Has anyone seen these on their units?

I wonder if Sony would provide warranty coverage or should I just return it to the shop.

Jun 18, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #21,118 of 45,723
Hey guys, I recently got the Sony WM1A and it is a great sounding DAP. However I also found some bright pixels new out of box. They are actually bright pixels and a couple of stuck pixels in red and green. They are very noticeable during start up because the display crank to full brightness. I counted between 5-7 of such pixels. Has anyone seen these on their units?

I wonder if Sony would provide warranty coverage or should I just return it to the shop.
If these pixels are not in the center of the screen, Sony warranty may not cover. I would go to the store where you bought the unit from and ask for an exchange.

Jun 18, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #21,119 of 45,723
i am almost 1 year with the WM1A and i have nothing but good things to say about it

in fact, being with wm1a and zeus XR it's been the first time in my 8 years here where i have stopped looking for the next upgrade and i am simply enjoying the music

great balanced sound , HUGE battery , small but beautiful looking = good job SONY

How are the ciems driven? Do you feel all the details, the soundstage, all the "drama"?

Jun 18, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #21,120 of 45,723

Disregard this post if you have mentioned your burn-in hours. But if you were to take a Walkman right out of the box on firmware 1.2 it would sound congested. It’s actually one of the main things that can change in the first 50 hours. After 50 hours the soundstage starts to open up. Also it probably doesn’t really matter if you stay with FW1.2 or upgrade to the newest edition firmware, but the narrow soundstage is totally noticeable upon first start up with FW1.2.

What is your play hour count? In case you don’t know Sony recommends 200 hours per amp. The player has a 4.4mm balanced amp and a 3.5mm single ended amp. As mentioned try to go balanced and play around with the firmware editions till you find the sweet spot. Also your IEMs may need the change up to high output on the player and an upgrade to FW2.0 which is utilizing the amps to their full potential. I only use high output with one set of full size headphones, all my IEMs I try to stay in normal output and balalnced if I can. But both my players utilize FW2.0.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/downloads/00014903

Also if you really don’t like 2.0 and don’t need the latest BT support or don’t need the extra power and/or don’t need to play APE music files simply go back to 1.2. And finally remember that there are folks here which reverted back to FW1.2 simply because it has a different sound.

Here is the support link:
http://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/WM1/NW-WM1_V1_02.exe

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back