SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #21,076 of 45,723
When will Sony release the 1A and 1Z successor?

It the news stories of Sony cutting back non-profitable lines are to believed, I wouldn’t hold your breath. We might have last of walkman :frowning2:

Jun 15, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #21,077 of 45,723
It the news stories of Sony cutting back non-profitable lines are to believed, I wouldn’t hold your breath. We might have last of walkman :frowning2:

The Audio/Visual department of Sony is and has been profitable for many quarters (the only non-profitable electronic arm of Sony is mobile phones), plus that story about Sony cutting back is false anyway.

Jun 15, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #21,079 of 45,723
When search function is implemented :D.

On another note, we may hear leaks about it in a couple months ?
I hope they add more letters and numbers to the name! :ksc75smile:

Jun 15, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #21,080 of 45,723
The Audio/Visual department of Sony is and has been profitable for many quarters (the only non-profitable electronic arm of Sony is mobile phones), plus that story about Sony cutting back is false anyway.

I hope I’m wrong and any way it can’t have cost Sony much to pay the 3 blokes in shed at the back of the staff car pack, that they call the DAP division to develop the wm1a/z. :wink:

Jun 15, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #21,082 of 45,723
For my use case I can’t think of anything Sony or any other manufacturer could do that would make me consider replacing my 1Z until it irrepairably dies

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #21,084 of 45,723
For my use case I can’t think of anything Sony or any other manufacturer could do that would make me consider replacing my 1Z until it irrepairably dies
I would tend to agree, but as people say: it's the "best thing"... until the "next best thing".
People suffer from novelty bias all the time.

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #21,085 of 45,723

In terms of sound quality I would agree, I can't imagine the sound getting *so much more better* than it is now.
The things which would make me replace my 1Z are more regarding features, for example if they make a new device being a smaller, thinner and lighter 1Z which only has 4.4 balance output and completely cutting out the 3.5mm headphone out (or maybe set the 3.5mm as a pure clean analogue line out directly from the S-Master to connect to external amps, whichever that cuts out all the amplification circuit for the single end stage and all that), I can see myself being tempted with something like that.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #21,086 of 45,723
In terms of sound quality I would agree, I can't imagine the sound getting *so much more better* than it is now.
The things which would make me replace my 1Z are more regarding features, for example if they make a new device being a smaller, thinner and lighter 1Z which only has 4.4 balance output and completely cutting out the 3.5mm headphone out (or maybe set the 3.5mm as a pure clean analogue line out directly from the S-Master to connect to external amps, whichever that cuts out all the amplification circuit for the single end stage and all that), I can see myself being tempted with something like that.

Even that would not make me want it as I don’t use it portable but just have it luggage and use it on site in hotels and the like. Also there is no way I’m taking the monetary hit from selling the 1Z and buying nee. I’m hoping to get 5 to 10 years from the 1Z

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #21,088 of 45,723
Does anyone know where, if anywhere, Sony has a page dedicated to upcoming firmware and feature requests

None that I know of and to be honest I don’t expect any new fw

Jun 16, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #21,089 of 45,723
Even that would not make me want it as I don’t use it portable but just have it luggage and use it on site in hotels and the like. Also there is no way I’m taking the monetary hit from selling the 1Z and buying nee. I’m hoping to get 5 to 10 years from the 1Z

Well I won't be selling my 1Z, after I got it signed by Sato-san and all that. :D Maybe when the battery dies a couple of years down the track and they had to peel off the pleather to do the battery replacement and the pleather gets damaged and they had to put in a new one, then I'll be more willing to sell it....

I would however be tempted to swap the 1Z for that hypothetical successor as a daily driver if I get those features, especially a weight and size reduction. Ideally if they can thin it off by about 1/3 of the thickness and trim 100 grams off the 1Z, get rid of the rarely use SE while not touching anything else, that would be pretty ideal for me as a refined 1Z, so to speak. Heck one of the reason I have a ZX300 is that there are days where the 1Z does feel a little too weighty and I want something inbetween the AK70 and the 1Z, my hypothetical refined 1Z will mean I can replace both the ZX300 and 1Z at the same time.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #21,090 of 45,723
Well I won't be selling my 1Z, after I got it signed by Sato-san and all that. :D Maybe when the battery dies a couple of years down the track and they had to peel off the pleather to do the battery replacement and the pleather gets damaged and they had to put in a new one, then I'll be more willing to sell it....

I would however be tempted to swap the 1Z for that hypothetical successor as a daily driver if I get those features, especially a weight and size reduction. Ideally if they can thin it off by about 1/3 of the thickness and trim 100 grams off the 1Z, get rid of the rarely use SE while not touching anything else, that would be pretty ideal for me as a refined 1Z, so to speak. Heck one of the reason I have a ZX300 is that there are days where the 1Z does feel a little too weighty and I want something inbetween the AK70 and the 1Z, my hypothetical refined 1Z will mean I can replace both the ZX300 and 1Z at the same time.

For actual portable use I’m just using my iPhone with Tidal and a pair of Beoplay E8 true wireless in ears. The convenience is adictive and I find that out and about in traffic and on public transport the SQ is plenty good enough that I can’t be bothered to carry an extra device or wired phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back