SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #20,641 of 45,723
Has anyone found a dac/amp that when used with WM1A offers more power and better sound at a reasonable price point?

And....while simply connecting the 1A to an external amplifier didn’t do anything special and degrade the sound.......the Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC/AMP took it all to the next level. Folks have found them lightly used also.

May 27, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #20,642 of 45,723
Where in the Chicago area can I demo a Sony NW-WM1Z?

May 27, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #20,643 of 45,723
And....while simply connecting the 1A to an external amplifier didn’t do anything special and degrade the sound.......the Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC/AMP took it all to the next level. Folks have found them lightly used also.

I see you also have the 1Z.

Using headphones such as the Utopia and Z1R how would you compared using them straight out of the 1Z vs. using them out of the TA fed by the 1Z (with the Sony digital out 1Z/1A USB female cable > high grade USB cable into the TA)?

May 27, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #20,644 of 45,723
I see you also have the 1Z.

Using headphones such as the Utopia and Z1R how would you compared using them straight out of the 1Z vs. using them out of the TA fed by the 1Z (with the Sony digital out 1Z/1A USB female cable > high grade USB cable into the TA)?

While I have never used the Utopia, the Sony Z1R with MUC-B20SB1is a completely different experience with the TA amp. So much so.......I actually would not be able to explain the difference without sounding slighly mental. When reviewers say the 1A or 1Z is like listening to a desktop amp, I always laugh to myself.

And it may be more in what a listener is expecting or desires in the signature? With the amp stuff becomes faster, images become more stable and in-place. The background goes way deeper, and the 3D goes more around and toward the front. Detail retrieval goes up along with added damping factors getting more low-end detail and frequency responce. Depending on your concentration.........it’s probably safe to call it a night and day difference, though I hate to use the terminology?

Even low quality files sound good with the combination, confusing..............you would think the increase in detail would make their inherent quality come to light?

But it’s a pinnacle of sorts, and if the Z1R signature was what someone was after........it simply brings it all to maturity.

Edit:
Still waiting for the Audioquest Carbon USB. My listening is with the doc, or the dongle or regular TA supplied USB. All sound really good, though I still don’t have an upgraded USB cable for contrast.

Obviously the differences are less between using the full-size headphones and IEMs. Though there is a slight difference when using the TA with IEMs, it’s not a purchase I would make if I exclusively used IEMs.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #20,645 of 45,723
Interesting that you say that. I have been looking at Gustard H20. I am wondering how the matching and if anyone has tried that pairing.

once i get my amp sorted, will start looking for full sized headphone. Thinking something along the line of Z7 as start and perhaps others.. currently, I am using ATH-70 iem

While I have never used the Utopia, the Sony Z1R with MUC-B20SB1is a completely different experience with the TA amp. So much so.......I actually would not be able to explain the difference without sounding slighly mental. When reviewers say the 1A or 1Z is like listening to a desktop amp, I always laugh to myself

IEMs.

May 28, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #20,646 of 45,723
Currently using z7 full sized phones on balanced, they drive, very well. The volume is set to that because the high dynamic range of DSF files

15275162709331091621218.jpg

May 28, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #20,647 of 45,723
While I have never used the Utopia, the Sony Z1R with MUC-B20SB1is a completely different experience with the TA amp. So much so.......I actually would not be able to explain the difference without sounding slighly mental. When reviewers say the 1A or 1Z is like listening to a desktop amp, I always laugh to myself.
Mental ? I don't think so.
Pricewise, it is much cheaper to build a decent desktop dac/amp than it is to design one for portable use.

I have a modest desktop amp (ADL GT40 alpha, about 450€) which has no issue to put my WM1Z to shame with its 300 ohm headphone output, in terms of imaging and treble extension. And it has the peculiar ability to have a turntable input for listening and recording. Truely a very polyvalent solution as a dac/amp for turntables/PC/DAPs.

May 28, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #20,648 of 45,723
547151E1-81E1-4C03-8306-646C0D5EC931.jpeg

It could be a novelty, but I never get over the IEM miniature effect............something big, being small and easier to see.
Pricewise, it is much cheaper to build a decent desktop dac/amp than it is to design one for portable use.

I have a modest desktop amp (ADL GT40 alpha, about 450€) which has no issue to put my WM1Z to shame with its 300 ohm headphone output, in terms of imaging and treble extension. And it has the peculiar ability to have a turntable input for listening and recording. Truely a very polyvalent solution as a dac/amp for turntables/PC/DAPs.
Of course there is the subtle magic of the 1A or the 1Z with IEMs. And.......it’s a slightly different experience all together. The coherence of everything and the soundstage being just slighly inside your head, along with the miniature effect only realized with IEM audio. I guess they are both different things, but can be both done right......also. I’ve always been more into full-size headphones, so maybe I just relate with the experience better? Price-wise it IS easer to get there with full size headphones. Maybe lacking refinement, but $400 gets you into the entertainment zone in the world of full-size DAC/AMP, where in miniature audio, $400 doesn’t even buy a ZX300.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #20,649 of 45,723

The only reason I dislike desktop rigs, no matter how great they sound, is because much like office jobs, I hate being chained to a desk, couch, or chair. I'm a Wanderer. I am actually thinking of selling my Bottlehead Crack. I never use it...

May 28, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #20,650 of 45,723
Has anybody tried the new Campfire Audio Atlas with their Sony?

May 28, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #20,652 of 45,723
Interesting that you say that. I have been looking at Gustard H20. I am wondering how the matching and if anyone has tried that pairing.

once i get my amp sorted, will start looking for full sized headphone. Thinking something along the line of Z7 as start and perhaps others.. currently, I am using ATH-70 iem

The 1Z and 1A get references to desktop audio quality due to their resolution and power. And.........to be fair they do set a new portable standard........as everyone here feels they do. And lists of portable players ranks them in a group with some of the best portable players.

That said, there is still a canyon of difference between them and a desk top experience while using full-size headphones. Needlesss to say, IEMs don’t need the juice. But I think it’s in the imagination of everyone.......to carry around the desktop audio experience. Even if it’s still a dream, it’s getting closer to reality all the time.

May 28, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #20,653 of 45,723
Use pure silver cables and you can drop 15/20 on the volume
Can this be explained by much better conductivity? Is there a formula to back it up?

May 28, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #20,655 of 45,723
Silver has the least resistance and I've tried a lot of cables over the last year so I'd say my personal formula says yes
I would expect let's say 1% to 2% difference, but more than 10%?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back