SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #19,801 of 45,723
You'll definitely need to elaborate...
I meant cables that are made by vendors are expensive for a reason

That reason is : synergies

Not only the different materials and constructs that has different sound signature, but if it was well made with the intentions to provide the best synergies to your system, then it will be worth the money. One of the example is that you want soundstage. Cables can help, but which one help better ? In order to judge the performances, any good vendors shall have already had equipments similar to your with countless of experiences to guide you to the right way. That is what I meant.

Apr 14, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #19,802 of 45,723
The software of the DX200 is known to be really buggy, whereas the WM1 software is rock solid. The number of post discussing bad software/instability in this huge thread is close to zero - except for people asking for a search feature. :D Can't be said the same of the DX200.

People don't often realise or discuss that the money don't only go to paying for sound quality, and getting software right is actually pretty damn hard. it's often poor software that takes several points off certain DAPs and knocking them down from “good buys” to “avoid”, rather than sound quality, which in this age is arguably easier to get right especially if you are just sourcing off the shelf DAC chips and the DAC chip practically comes with instructions on how to wire them up like a Lego kit.

I admit it, it's as smart as it is stable. Like a rock.

The only ... and i mean ONLY real benefit to this machine is the unique battery life. Which is a big benefit in some cases, a moderate one in others. For some it should surely make the difference. I thought it would for me too, but really, for the price in my very honest opinion, it is a pretty big disappointment. Will hold off from buying sony in the future when it comes to DAP's. I feel that people are in love with the brand and they like it more than they would any other DAP sounding the same way.

I don't deny its driving capability, which is very good but not great, what i deny is its reference quality sound. If my soekris can dismantle it, running from a 1.5 meter PRINTER usb cable from a AMD PC plugged in a non-grounded socket, which is as noisy as the highway in the midday i can't help disliking the entire package(For the money). Yes i'm sure it kills 80% of the DAPS but i'm also pretty certain (though i didn't hear it yet ) that the DAC stage of the dx200 destroys it. Because i know what 2x sabre does in desktop DAC and the dx200 (or SP1000 but that doesn't count because DX200 should be as good in the DAC ) shouldn't be far behind the average desktop sabre, maybe beating some. Yes, maybe the digital amp is a great thing for battery life but the sound....i can hear it but don't feel it. Sony should change their tune !

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #19,803 of 45,723
06D788C5-5B1D-4B5A-B704-BD173817CCB6.jpeg

I have been eyeing that case from God knows when.
But I ended up using a CaseLogic minidisc cases purchased from a thrift store.
Is there a compartment where you can store the iems when not in use?

There is a pocket on the front, but it’s only suitable for a few credit cards or notes really, it’s too tight to the rest of the case to fit in the iems. The case is excellent quality and it’s very adjustable, with lots of velcro straps and drawstrings if you enjoy meddling with stuff! The only problem was I had to pay £21 (on top of the case cost) to get it through UK customs.

Apr 14, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #19,805 of 45,723
Good point, though I fail to hear a difference? Some CDs I'm really close with sounded absolutely perfect from Media Go? Again it's maybe perception, if you think it's there, your mind says "it's there".

I also found the MediaGo ripped file have error, so I switched to EAC or just use a AK ripper with AK player while I'm lazy.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #19,806 of 45,723
I’m still having a hard time with cover art. I’ve tried saving it as a different file format then back to jpg. I’ve tried downloading a new image from the internet. Any other thoughts? I’m fine doing each album individually.

Apr 14, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #19,807 of 45,723

The only ... and i mean ONLY real benefit to this machine is the unique battery life. Which is a big benefit in some cases, a moderate one in others. For some it should surely make the difference. I thought it would for me too, but really, for the price in my very honest opinion, it is a pretty big disappointment. Will hold off from buying sony in the future when it comes to DAP's. I feel that people are in love with the brand and they like it more than they would any other DAP sounding the same way.

I don't deny its driving capability, which is very good but not great, what i deny is its reference quality sound. If my soekris can dismantle it, running from a 1.5 meter PRINTER usb cable from a AMD PC plugged in a non-grounded socket, which is as noisy as the highway in the midday i can't help disliking the entire package(For the money). Yes i'm sure it kills 80% of the DAPS but i'm also pretty certain (though i didn't hear it yet ) that the DAC stage of the dx200 destroys it. Because i know what 2x sabre does in desktop DAC and the dx200 (or SP1000 but that doesn't count because DX200 should be as good in the DAC ) shouldn't be far behind the average desktop sabre, maybe beating some. Yes, maybe the digital amp is a great thing for battery life but the sound....i can hear it but don't feel it. Sony should change their tune !

It's kinda ironic you say people buy for the brand and then you spout off that the DX200 has dual sabre chips and saying you know what they can do, are you not then buying for the Sabre brand? :D Also "feeling" it is pretty subjective, so let's not even get into which beats which.

I've had many DAPs and DACs before from many different brands - AK, Venturecraft, Onkyo etc. and of course Sony. There are many times where I thought I want to try something different, like Fiio, Cowon, or even Cayan or Shanling, but also within 2 minutes of messing around with the interface I know they weren't for me, even when they sound good. That's because I'm a strong believer that a terrible interface gets in the way of enjoying the music, especially when you are carry hundreds of gigabytes worth of them in one device and you have to wrestle with the device to get what you want. A stable, smooth device that interfaces well with the PC is essential and should be the baseline, anything with the level of complaints that the DX200 gets regarding the quality of its firmware and requires community effort to fix it at the base OS level isn't worth the price it asks even when it is "cheap", because that means the product is not finished nor fully tested, the money you are not paying/saved should as well be donate to those helpful people dedicating their own time in fixing it.

Apr 14, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #19,809 of 45,723
Here:

"To anyone that wonder how the DC phase linearizer feel like ? It is rather strange. There are 6 modes

Type A (low, standard, high)
Type B (Low, standard, high)

Low: shift the phase toward the sub-bass. It is not exactly the sub bass that got boosted, but it feel like the energy and dynamic density is shifted toward the emphasis of sub-bass

Standard: similar effect, but is spread out to all bass spectrum instead of focusing in low

High: my most non-favor effect, still the same effect, but the shift is focusing into upper bass or even more into lower mid spectrum bass rather than the bass alone.

Type A: it feel like the bass is widely spread out in a spherical field of rendering. Easier to listen to and more general with all kind of genres.

Type B: it feel like the bass is spread from further away but pinpointed focuses toward the audiences. It results in a much more pin-point focuses onto vocal. Say, if you observe and look ahead, the bass is spread out around and behind the singer and each drum set is arranged into you from that far away with the singer stand closer to you. This is excellent for Jazz and some Ballads

My favorite effects now is

D.C. Phase linerizatoin: Type A, Low
DSEE HX: String. This focuses more into mid spectrum especially upper mid and into lower trebles...I love it for my main genres

I hope it is useful....otherwise, just Direct Source for the heck of it. The WM Walkman is Excellent in DSP and EQ. It would be a waste to not use it"

Originally posted by Whitigir.

Hi, Bought WM1A in January this year. Have been reading thru from page 1 and am at 804 now. Wanted to post after I have gone thru every earlier post but found something which I wish to share.

Tried the D.C. Phase linearization and DSEE HS setting recommended by when 1 set got this set. Used it with Sony's Kimber MUC-M12SB1 (4.4mm balanced with mmcx) and the JVC FX1200. Was not impressed with the effect and stick to direct source all the way.

Yesterday after reading about that again I tried it again, this time with Whitigir's recommendation and using Effect Audio Thor Silver II with JVC FX1200 and was literally blown away.

Let me elaborate. JVC FX1200 can be bassy and muddy to some. Using it with Sony's Kimber cable with WM1A can be overwhelming to some but I like it's layered sub bass, texture/timbre and smooth treble. This is a thick and syrupy combination. Good at less complex or congested songs. i.e. Down tempo EDM. Claustrophobic in orchestra and so on. Using the D.C. Phase linearization makes it even more congested and claustrophobic. So it was direct source all the way for me.

Bought an used Effect Audio Thor Silver II last month and was rediscovering new details from songs that I am familiar with. This silver cable is amazing and even lower sub bass than Sony's Kimber cable. Female vocals becomes more standout and attention grabbing, in a good way. Only gripe was male vocals seems a bit recessed. This combo with Whitigir's D.C. Phase Linearization: Type A Low and DSEE HX: Strings, the sub bass went down a few more levels and better layering, mids seems to carry more weight and body and treble details is still there. Close to what I felt from WM1Z. Close, but doesn't mean it will change your 1A to 1Z.

Thanks to Whitigir for this valuable information. Am loving my WM1A anew.

Thanks to other contributor as well. Learnt a lot of tips and tricks.

Edit: Just realised I accidentally enabled EQ when turning off Direct Source. Retested with flat EQ. Sub Level was the same before engaging the D.C. Phase linearization. Difference not immediately noticeable. Need more critical listening. However, with Thor Silver II, I was not immediately put off by the congestion I heard with Kimber cable when switching off direct source.

Attachments

• DSC_0474.JPG
    DSC_0474.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #19,813 of 45,723
Tried the OEM Sony leather case on for the first time today. Very good looking case but have tried now for an hour to take the player out of the case again without succes.

The latch under the strap hole opens without a problem but the latch which goes underneath the sd card slot will not move even with a lot of force used.

Anybody had this as well and able to help with advice?

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #19,814 of 45,723

Rather than Sony should change their tune to suit you, you should probably just go buy a product that suits your taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back