SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #19,771 of 45,723
Funny but so true
TA + 1Z + Z1R = $2200 + $3200 + $2200 = WOW
TA + Z1R + something like an iPhone = much easier

The product photos are funny though as they show NOTHING feeding the TA. I guess it’s magic

Apr 12, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #19,772 of 45,723
Funny but so true
TA + 1Z + Z1R = $2200 + $3200 + $2200 = WOW
TA + Z1R + something like an iPhone = much easier

The product photos are funny though as they show NOTHING feeding the TA. I guess it’s magic
These numbers are now different. Shops are giving deep discounts on Sony products now.
1Z = $2700 (-$500)
Z1R = $1700 (-$500)
Strangely, TA price has not changed yet.
Maybe it's time to get the trio. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #19,773 of 45,723
How much of a difference would you say there is between the Z1R going into the 1Z vs. the TA?
I own both however have not experimented enough to come to a conclusion.

How are you feeding your TA - with the 1Z? Or with something else?

Redcarmoose
Thank you for your detailed observations. My understanding from multiple posts on this thread is that you will experience a substantial upgrade when using either the:
Dock with upgraded USB cable
OR
1Z > dongle > upgraded usb cable

I am currently feeding the TA with a Sonore Sonicorbiter (lower priced version of the MicroRendu) connected with a generic USB cable. The Sonicorbiter acts as a ROON endpoint. Cable is a Kimberly Axios imho a significant upgrade over stock. In this configuration quick playing around yields an improvement over simply connected to the 1Z however I am not really sure exactly how much - 10-15%?

I am reticent to keep throwing money at it. A dock and usb cable will add cost - and I don’t want to use the 1Z as a transport. I like the ability to access my ENTIRE music collection via the Sonore Sonicorbiter as a ROON endpoint. To improve upon that would require stepping up to a Sonore MicroRendu and power supply ie another $1k. I do not want to go there as instead I would prefer throwing that money in another direction.

I am at a bit of indecision with the TA - also compounded by the fact that I have an UBER source in my two channel system with a MOON headphone amp which allows me to access both that digital source and vinyl. There the issue becomes imho the fact that I feel the Z1R sounds better running balanced instead of single ended. I got a cheap 4.4 > XLR dongle from Amazon however I feel like that dongle is holding things back. A proper Axios dongle from Kimber is most likely around $300. I also wonder about the synergy of the Z1R with the MOON vs something like a Headamp GSX MK2

Yes, it’s all about seeking out the sound you want. For me the mixture of TA with Z1R was rather surprising as in many ways it was far from standard audiophile flatness. The bass bump, the ever so slight drop in male vocals. In many circles this would be the stuff of outrage, though here we have a giant electronics conglomerate go ahead and make the tone be the signature sound, no less.

But it sounds like your finding ways to hear differences from the digital supply. I’m funny in that I believe CDs sound best and am actually waiting a while to test that. My best sounding digital is an actual CD spinning and going coaxial to a DAC. I’m of the belief that computer USB adds jitter or some kind of timing or interference issue. So maybe the 1Z runs a little quieter, and your Sonore bypasses the computer interference issues?

And we arrive at the perception point. The point where if you tell your brain it’s better then perception tells you it in-fact IS better. That’s my issue with CD is that I believe it’s better so it sounds better.

But using a 1Z or 1A is in-fact a great transport. I still need to get a remote. No Windows bells going off in the middle of your favorite song, no updates going off randomly. Plus you have the ability to find the files really fast. My first attraction to the Signature Series was the lack of computer used in the play-back loop! I still need to rip my collection with MediaGo to some 400GB cards. And again, having files on external cards makes joining them to the 1A or 1Z an ease. The 1A may sound better with the Z1R as it’s aluminum sounding, where the 1Z is copper sounding?

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #19,774 of 45,723
Yes, it’s all about seeking out the sound you want. For me the mixture of TA with Z1R was rather surprising as in many ways it was far from standard audiophile flatness. The bass bump, the ever so slight drop in male vocals. In many circles this would be the stuff of outrage, though here we have a giant electronics conglomerate go ahead and make the tone be the signature sound, no less.

But it sounds like your finding ways to hear differences from the digital supply. I’m funny in that I believe CDs sound best and am actually waiting a while to test that. I’m actually of the belief that computer USB adds jitter or some kind of timing or interference issue. So maybe the 1Z runs a little quieter, and your Sonore bypasses the computer interference issues?

And we arrive at the perception point. The point where if you tell your brain it’s better then perception tells you it in-fact IS better. That’s my issue with CD is that I believe it’s better so it sounds better.

But using a 1Z or 1A is in-fact a great transport. I still need to get a remote. No Windows bells going off in the middle of your favorite song, no updates going off randomly. Plus you have the ability to find the files really fast. I still need to rip my collection with MediaGo to some 400GB cards. And again, having files on external cards makes joining them to the 1A or 1Z an ease. The 1A may sound better with the Z1R as it’s aluminum sounding, where the 1Z is copper sounding?
Better use a Bit-perfect / secure ripper like EAC or db Power AMP CD ripper with accuRip & error correction support

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #19,775 of 45,723
Better use a Bit-perfect / secure ripper like EAC or db Power AMP CD ripper with accuRip & error correction support

Good point, though I fail to hear a difference? Some CDs I'm really close with sounded absolutely perfect from Media Go? Again it's maybe perception, if you think it's there, your mind says "it's there".

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #19,776 of 45,723
Good point, though I fail to hear a difference? Some CDs I'm really close with sounded absolutely perfect from Media Go? Again it's maybe perception, if you think it's there, your mind says "it's there".
Well i started ripping with MediaGo back in 2012 and soon discovered some rips had error, stuttering, clicks, static etc. and i switched to secure ripping, error free, is worth the investment despite some rips take 20 minutes to complete but you get bit-perfect and error-free copies pf ypur media

Apr 12, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #19,777 of 45,723
Well i started ripping with MediaGo back in 2012 and soon discovered some rips had error, stuttering, clicks, static etc. and i switched to secure ripping, error free, is worth the investment despite some rips take 20 minutes to complete but you get bit-perfect and error-free copies pf ypur media

Never found a single skip with MediaGo though there are a multitude of issues on the other hand, dealing with how it works in general. I just fill cards, rarely using it to fill up device memory.

Apr 13, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #19,778 of 45,723
Try Effect Audio.

Thank you very much for your responses.

I have an Earsonics SM3 IEM with a 2 pin connector and 3.5mm unbalanced termination.

If I go with Effect Audio I should go with this, right?

Capture2.JPG

Though, I must admit I don't like the color of that copper wire...

I was also considering Moon Audio products.
https://www.moon-audio.com/black-dragon-iem-headphone-cable-v1.html

If I go with them, I should get this, right?

Capture3.JPG

And I would like to use my IEM with sources other than my WM1A, so I'd also need a connector. What kind of a connector do I need to be able to plug my balanced cable with 4.4mm termination to 3.5mm sockets?

Would a selection from here do the job? Indeed I don't know what to select from this menu either!
https://www.moon-audio.com/black-dragon-iem-extension-adapter-cable-v1.html

Are there simpler and cheaper options?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #19,779 of 45,723
You can either go 2.5mm or 4.4mm as main, then For 2.5mm use adapter 2.5mm to 4.4mm or 3.5 | For 4.4mm would be 4.4mm to 2.5mm or 3.5mm.

My cable is mainly for my WM1A so i go for 4.4mm as main plug, adapter for others.
See which fits your usage best.

My opinion is 2.5mm is small and contact surface is smaller so if i use a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter, I am afraid there will be a bottleneck situation.

I treat 4.4mm as the "bigger pipe"

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #19,780 of 45,723
Though, I must admit I don't like the color of that copper wire...
You can ask Effect Audio to change the color of the cable (outside shielding).

Apr 13, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #19,781 of 45,723
You can either go 2.5mm or 4.4mm as main, then For 2.5mm use adapter 2.5mm to 4.4mm or 3.5 | For 4.4mm would be 4.4mm to 2.5mm or 3.5mm.
Since I use both SP1000Cu (2.5mm) and WM1Z (4.4mm), my cables are terminated to 2.5mm. I use Effect Audio and Brise Audio adaptor for 4.4mm. I don’t hear any degradation in sq.

Apr 13, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #19,782 of 45,723
If it's the case, that means the CDs were damaged to the point that some bits were lost. You can't "correct" errors when the disc is deeply scratched. And if the CD and the player are in good state, there should never be any error during extraction because you're extracting simple 1/0 data, not some analog signal.

Most softwares (including free ones like the antique but efficient CDex) will show you when some crap happened during extraction.
If the software doesn't, yes people should look for one that does at least report errors so you know that your image isn't bit-perfect.

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #19,783 of 45,723
If it's the case, that means the CDs were damaged to the point that some bits were lost. You can't "correct" errors when the disc is deeply scratched. And if the CD and the player are in good state, there should never be any error during extraction because you're extracting simple 1/0 data, not some analog signal.

Most softwares (including free ones like the antique but efficient CDex) will show you when some crap happened during extraction.
If the software doesn't, yes people should look for one that does at least report errors so you know that your image isn't bit-perfect.
They were not scratched but the drive couldn't handle certain Wraner classic CDs well using media Go. By using dbpowerAmp CD ripper it could correct the Offset and finally ripped fine with no skips, also a bach CD (all my CD are in good state, never scratched)

Apr 13, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #19,785 of 45,723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back