SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #19,756 of 45,723
I'm planning to get a 4.4mm balanced IEM cable with 2 pin connectors. I found this wonderful set which is something I'd love to have and the price is good, too, however it has only 4 pole connectors.

http://www.meeaudio.com/CMB-BAL-SET

I'm looking for such a set with 2 pin connector option.

Please point me the way, if you know of such reasonable products.

Also, is there an IEM which comes with 4.4mm balanced cable&connectors? I might as well get a whole IEM rather than just cables, for my IEMs are giving out bad signals lately...
Try Effect Audio. Premium Series lineup is here:
https://www.effectaudio.com/iem-premium-series.html
You can configure a cable to your liking, like terminating with a 4.4mm balanced or 2.5mm balanced + 4.4mm adaptor.

Apr 12, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #19,757 of 45,723
If there is anyone who is wondering weather or not the wm1a is worth it let me start off by saying YES. It makes you rediscover your headphone and provides just such an amazing balance of sound for your over ear headphones and iems. I at first was happy with the nw45 then I got the zx300 then the wm1a and I have to say that if the wm1a is totally worth the money. It's built like a tank, it has a great battery life and most importantly it makes you enjoy your music. If I had to go back in time I would have just purchased this instead of new headphones. You have to experience it to believe it. This product is a gem of our times. So much fun letting people listen to headphones through these and go "yep I get it now".

Apr 12, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #19,758 of 45,723
Try Effect Audio. Premium Series lineup is here:
https://www.effectaudio.com/iem-premium-series.html
You can configure a cable to your liking, like terminating with a 4.4mm balanced or 2.5mm balanced + 4.4mm adaptor.
Even their "entry level" cables are very good :
Ares II + :
20180412_203659.jpg
Based on the advice from @flinkenick i went back to the Ares II :
20180412_210447.jpg

Apr 12, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #19,759 of 45,723
Cables, depends on the materials to cater to meet your needs in synergies. Pay attention to what you need out of the system, specifically ask and request your cables maker to provide the best assistance to meet your goals. That is the point of custom cables

You can also custom the look, the flexibility or microphonic of the cables to, just make sure to request the vendors regarding it. They are expensive for a reason :)

Just my 2 cents

Apr 12, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #19,760 of 45,723
i just put geremlx1986 on my ignore list (only person i have there , mind you) , and it makes this thread a joy to read

unbelievable how many empty,useless posts this dude had all over here

Yes I just put Ledzep on my ignore list as he attacked me, my beliefs, he puts people down for having different opinions to him. Me too find it more enjoyable to read this thread without negativity.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #19,761 of 45,723
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/meurglys0.83285/
The Sony XBA-N3BP IEM comes with 4.4mm Pentaconn cables.

The XBA-N3BP has a new idea form factor which has the bass driver in the back area of the IEM in contrast to many of Sony's flagship IEMs of late. It's not priced as a flagship, around $300 USD, and comes off as an IEM which really promotes the new Sony sound, but is maybe a little more middle of the road, conservative sounding in comparison to the Z5. The Z5 has two propiraty BAs but here we only have one in addition to the DD. But it's nice, at first it's very much a little straight laced but starts to show it's individual personality in time. Slightly V shaped with less bass than then Z5 due to DD circumference and distance from nozzle. But in the end the cable and ergonomics in general are fantastic. It would be interesting if Sony uses the ergonomic ideas of this IEM in addition to bring us a Z6 flagship!

I do own the Mee Electronics MMCX connector set. It works well if you wanted to keep one cable on a IEM and never worry about wearing out an MMCX connector with constant cable switch-outs. And that's the thing.....even with the industry standard two pin plugs, folks are instructed that you could wear out the two pin connections on the IEM with continued cable changeouts. So a style of Mee system would work well there too.

The Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC/AMP DSD remastering upsample engine works amazingly well, though I don't hear it do anything on the 1Z or 1A Walkmans. The Sony technology is unique in the field of DACs. Also we can find a huge level of versatility with the TA-ZH1ES, if you need it for a preamp the volume knob can be activated and it comes with a remote. If you wanted it to be a stand-alone DAC it can go into line-out mode, so you can hook it up to another amp.

So far it may seem the TA-ZH1ES has maybe a slightly less over all warmth than using IEMs or headphones straight out of the 1Z. But amazingly the Z1R full-size headphones needs no more amplification power from both the TA-ZH1ES or 1A and 1Z. It's like Sony made the three amplifiers to be perfectly matched as a complete ecosystem with the Z1R.

This is also one reason why there are a number of 1/2 way correct reviews on the Z1R. While the reviews are true on some points, you have most reviewers not in ownership of the complete Signature series. The series works best only using the Signature components. And while reviews have stated that the Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC/AMP may lack some slam, it actually contains all the slam you would ever want with the Z1R. And while the Z1R may be just a smidge lacking in male vocal presence at times, it's completely cohesive when used with the Sony amps.

It would not surprise me if Sony included a matched headphone with new DAC/AMP products. Matching this equipment seems is what they are about. And even though they don't tell folks to only use their equipment with-in the Signature egosystem, they do show any photographs exclusively with the Signature products in use.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #19,762 of 45,723
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/meurglys0.83285/
The Sony XBA-N3BP IEM comes with 4.4mm Pentaconn cables.

The XBA-N3BP has a new idea form factor which has the bass driver in the back area of the IEM in contrast to many of Sony's flagship IEMs of late. It's not priced as a flagship, around $300 USD, and comes off as an IEM which really promotes the new Sony sound, but is maybe a little more middle of the road,conservative sounding in comparison to the Z5. But it's nice, at first it's very much a little straight laced but starts to show it's individual personality in time. Slightly V shaped with less bass than then Z5 due to DD circumference and distance from nozzle. Also only one BA as opposed to two in the Z5. But in the end the cable and ergonomics in general are fantastic.

I do own the MMCX connector set. It works well if you wanted to keep one cable on a IEM and never worry about wearing out an MMCX connector with constant cable switch-outs.

The Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC/AMP DSD remastering upsample engine works amazingly well, though I don't hear it do anything on the 1Z or 1A Walkmans. The Sony technology is unique in the field of DACs. Also we can find a huge level of versatility with the TA-ZH1ES, if you need it for a preamp the volume knob can be activated and it comes with a remote. If you wanted it to be a stand-alone DAC it can go into line-out mode, so you can hook it up to another amp.

So far it may seem the TA-ZH1ES has maybe a slightly less over all warmth than using IEMs or headphones straight out of the Z1? But amazingly the Z1R full-size headphones needs no more amplification power from both the TA-ZH1ES or 1A and 1Z. It's like Sony made the three amplifiers to be perfectly matched as a complete ecosystem with the Z1R.

This is also one reason why there are a number of 1/2 way correct reviews on the Z1R. While the reviews are true on some points, you have most reviewers not in ownership of the complete Signature series. The series works best only using the Signature components. And while reviews have stated that the Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC/AMP may lack some slam, it actually contains all the slam you would ever want with the Z1R. And while the Z1R may be just a smidge lacking in male vocal presence at times, it's completely cohesive when used with the Sony amps.

It would not surprise me if Sony included a matched headphone with new DAC/AMP products. Matching this equipment seems is what they are about. And even though they don't tell folks to only use their equipment with-in the Signature egosystem, they do show any photographs exclusively with the Signature products in use.

I use my Sony MDRZ1R headphones with my Astell&kern Daps and is a good match it sounds fantastic as well as using it with my Sony WM1Z balanced. I’m waiting for the portable version to be released soon.

Apr 12, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #19,764 of 45,723
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/roses77.447035/

It does seem that any slightly brighter detail would be in nice contrast to the Z1R warm-whisky personality. Cheers!

I'm pleasantly amazed how powerful the 1A and 1Z portable players sound with the Z1R. And while just going out of a DAP is surprisingly clear and detailed, I don't reach endgame until plugging into the Sony table-top.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #19,765 of 45,723
How much of a difference would you say there is between the Z1R going into the 1Z vs. the TA?
I own both however have not experimented enough to come to a conclusion.

How are you feeding your TA - with the 1Z? Or with something else?

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #19,766 of 45,723
Yes, feeding it with both the 1A and 1Z side connection. Have yet to see what improvements simply going Coaxial or Toslink from a CD player. But in about two weeks I will be able to see if there is a difference with the Sony dock. Also adding the Sony dongle and upgrade USB cable at that point in time.

Also everyone is different. Everyone cues into different parts of the end-sound. So for me the TA cleaned up a little of the murk in the lower midrange. And as we all know it’s the lower midrange definition which ends up being a achilles heel in the Z1R response. Personally I do like the added detail in that department, but at the same time realize that, to love the Z1R means loving that one aspect in lower midrange. Funny too as my main headphone in the mid-late 1990s (The CD-870) was a Sony with extended lower midrange?

But I, so far, think that the TA also offers a wider soundstage and with that spreading out the upper midrange and treble detail about. Thus helping to define the upper areas as well. IMO

Using the MUC-B20SB1 with all listening.

It would be interesting to compare damping factor from TA/1A and 1Z as much of the added lower detail could be a direct result of more damping. It’s also a slightly different case, where there is maybe only a slightly different improvement in bass response, but the bass quality and control (which the Z1R lacks) is improved upon.

I did find the TA to be lacking power to drive the k701, so reviews about slam being lacking could definitely be true when the TA is used with other headphones. But the energy when combined with the Z1R is astounding!

Later this year I’ll have my Woo Audio 5LE so the Z1Rs will most likely get used in single ended mode and the TA will have it’s potentiometer removed into line-out.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #19,767 of 45,723
The z1r does indeed have great synergy with the wm1a I can only imagine with the dac the signature series was meant to be experienced together. It's the cost as a whole I suspect that would make people cautious but owning the z1r and the wm1a I can tell you that i can't imagine the awesomeness that the complete package could give.

Apr 12, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #19,768 of 45,723
Redcarmoose
Thank you for your detailed observations. My understanding from multiple posts on this thread is that you will experience a substantial upgrade when using either the:
Dock with upgraded USB cable
OR
1Z > dongle > upgraded usb cable

I am currently feeding the TA with a Sonore Sonicorbiter (lower priced version of the MicroRendu) connected with a generic USB cable. The Sonicorbiter acts as a ROON endpoint. Cable is a Kimberly Axios imho a significant upgrade over stock. In this configuration quick playing around yields an improvement over simply connected to the 1Z however I am not really sure exactly how much - 10-15%?

I am reticent to keep throwing money at it. A dock and usb cable will add cost - and I don’t want to use the 1Z as a transport. I like the ability to access my ENTIRE music collection via the Sonore Sonicorbiter as a ROON endpoint. To improve upon that would require stepping up to a Sonore MicroRendu and power supply ie another $1k. I do not want to go there as instead I would prefer throwing that money in another direction.

I am at a bit of indecision with the TA - also compounded by the fact that I have an UBER source in my two channel system with a MOON headphone amp which allows me to access both that digital source and vinyl. There the issue becomes imho the fact that I feel the Z1R sounds better running balanced instead of single ended. I got a cheap 4.4 > XLR dongle from Amazon however I feel like that dongle is holding things back. A proper Axios dongle from Kimber is most likely around $300. I also wonder about the synergy of the Z1R with the MOON vs something like a Headamp GSX MK2

Apr 12, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #19,769 of 45,723
The z1r does indeed have great synergy with the wm1a I can only imagine with the dac the signature series was meant to be experienced together.

The strange thing is that all Sony product photos show the Z1R simply connected to the TA however there is no 1Z on the table. I wonder what they are inferring on how to feed the TA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back