SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #17,281 of 45,723
Just posting a quick impression - I had the WM1A and WM1Z side by side for a few days (granted, if you believe in burn in, neither had sufficient time burning in), and I liked the WM1A better with my 64 Audio A18. I was perfectly willing to keep the 1Z and send back the 1A, but to my ears, the warmth on the 1A was just right, and the warmth on the 1Z was a little too much for my liking. I listened to both balanced, on high gain, with 64 Audio's Pentaconn terminated premium cable. Genres included classical, jazz, rock, and electronic. With this particular CIEM, the WM1A , to me, sounded better than the AK380 and AK240 as well - though it still sounded great on both.

I think after a certain point, specifically with DAPs over $1000, they do sound different - but it's very hard to say one is specifically better in terms of sound quality. In addition, synergy is so important. After that, I believe features play a more significant role, because sound difference in DAPS, I perceive, as real but relatively minor vs. desktop gear.

As someone who has tried numerous DAPs trying to find the perfect one for the A18, for someone looking to upgrade, I would urge people to try different DAPs in different price ranges with your headphone/IEM of choice, and decide which sounds best to you. Further, since my perceived sound difference are a difference in signature vs. better/worse, and because they are real but relatively small, I would take features (Battery Life, Storage, UI, Networking), into greater consideration than I would for desktop gear. This is of course my opinion and YMMV.

Just trying to help anyone who has upgrade-itis - or feels like they are missing out because they don't have the most expensive DAP. Price very often dictates increased performance, but not always, especially with DAPs. Find the DAP that sounds best with your headphones/IEMs, with the feature set you want the most, and be confident you've made the best choice. I fortunately found the WM1A the best sounding, and love the battery life, UI, amp power, form factor, and looks. Nonetheless, you are always making some type of compromise as I would have preferred more storage and streaming. Overall, though, the WM1A was the best DAP for me, and I'm only urging people to find the best DAP for them; sometimes it will be the most expensive and sometimes it won't.

Just curios cause I only have access to 1Z and trying to figure out a difference with 1A. Did you test A18 with M15 or M20, and what cable? 1Z/1A, fresh out of the box or some burn in? SE or BAL, fw 1.2 or 2.0?

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #17,282 of 45,723
Ping me if you're selling. I'm looking to buy one.

Cheers,
Hey guys,

Anyone who has seen my posts know that I am particular about small scratches on my DAPs. I put a small scratch near the balanced output of my Sony NW-WM1A. I was thinking of getting rid of it, with its Dignis case, 256gb mini SD card and whatever music is on it. Is $650 a fair price for when I put it in classifieds?

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #17,283 of 45,723
1A And 1Z are different, and confirmed by Sony engineers.

1A is faster and thinner in comparison to 1Z which is more fluidity and warmth, Sony made both A (solid state signature) and Z (tube like signatures), so the buyers has his/her own preferences can choose. There is no winner.

However, ultimately, many people decided to go for 1Z since (Cables) Matters. That means the better the materials, components, the better the performances, theoretically. However, many earlier reported that exactly what Sony stated

1A to be more solid state and even with wider soundstage while 1Z is more fluidity and lush and even narrower soundstage. However, there are people still debating between which one is to have. The majority of people who could afford 1Z based on the materials matters, judging from some cables such as Kimber Axios that cost even more than 1Z itself, the 1Z is a unique piece of equipment from cost to productions and even engineering stand point. People who want to perfect it further will even upgrade the internal wires (another topic).

Then, many of the 1Z owner would called out to Sony that even 1Z was good, but not enough in comparison to 380Cu, particularly the separations, layering and soundstage. Sony released firmware 2.0 which addressed the above issues, however, it significantly changed the sound signature of 1Z in the while the same firmware is applicable toward 1A as well, Sony did not specifically addressed firmware 2.0 to be 1Z alone, and we have people to debate whether the 1A sounds better with 2.0 or worse

The diversity gets even wider. Anyways, it is very interesting to see how well Sony is doing, and for the price-performances, you can not go wrong with 1A. Excepts if you want anything else it doesn’t have, aka USB DAC, Android, wireless connectivity ?

All I can say: If you can afford the 1Z, go for it, Sony made it and price it and is so proud of it being Flagship of the signature series. There is a reason for it whether you respect Sony engineering and using exotic materials or you just want to be special among the top tier of productions. Sound performances, both A and Z are different to a justifiable degree and your preferences will be the decisive factor

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #17,284 of 45,723
Just curios cause I only have access to 1Z and trying to figure out a difference with 1A. Did you test A18 with M15 or M20, and what cable? 1Z/1A, fresh out of the box or some burn in? SE or BAL, fw 1.2 or 2.0?

Hi Twister -

No significant burn in on either unit - about 20 hours each. With the A18, I was using the m15 module, and the 64 Audio Premium Cable terminated with a Pentaconn adapter. I also tried the Alo Ref 8 balanced with an adapter, which I perceived to lift the treble slightly on both - but didn't listen long enough to form a definitive impression with this cable.

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #17,285 of 45,723
Hi Twister -

No significant burn in on either unit - about 20 hours each. With the A18, I was using the m15 module, and the 64 Audio Premium Cable terminated with a Pentaconn adapter. I also tried the Alo Ref 8 balanced with an adapter, which I perceived to lift the treble slightly on both - but didn't listen long enough to form a definitive impression with this cable.

Also each running firmware 2.0

Dec 10, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #17,286 of 45,723
Hi Twister -

Is that a warmer IEM? I have also been thinking about the Vega.

Dec 10, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #17,287 of 45,723
Dec 10, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #17,288 of 45,723
Placed the order for my Christmas Gift :D
from me to me haha
Captura.JPG

Dec 10, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #17,289 of 45,723
Placed the order for my Christmas Gift :D
from me to me haha

Mine is waiting for me at my mother in laws in UK when I get there Friday. Have run out of space on my 256GB plus 1Z internal memory ripping the rest of my cd’s. Still got 3-400 to go

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #17,290 of 45,723
Mine is waiting for me at my mother in laws in UK when I get there Friday. Have run out of space on my 256GB plus 1Z internal memory ripping the rest of my cd’s. Still got 3-400 to go
I also i predict when i load songs to my 1A i wont fit f.e a some whole composer Folders because they increased size (more music purchsed and gifted by my man, Upgarde from flac to Hi-res or DSD :D)

Yesterday My guy told me about brilliant classics releasing Alessandro scarlatti collection x30CD, saw the contents, i was rather unimpressed by it, so I bought the albums i consider good and set my "Alessandro Scarlatti box" haha (only instrumental music for now)

Dec 10, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #17,291 of 45,723
Can the TA-Z1HES Power speakers too? and can be fed from a CD player or a pre-amp? the only con i see right now is the steep pricing of it. My man told me his fischer Amp HP jack finally gave out (after 20 years or so of repeated plug and unplug), i've told him to send it to an electronics shop to resolder or change the jack, but he refuses he is a bit fatalist way of thinking and i hate that, he wnats to throw it to the trash.

He has no Digital files, just CDs and some LPs

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #17,292 of 45,723
Did you guys (people who cares about materials purity) know that the Audiophile MicroSD card from Sony is a real deal ? :wink: $165 only, And is a perfect match with your 1Z. I am a materials purity freak. So this is my setup.

Wm1Z + Utopia:

1Z: internal wires of UPOCC Solid silver wires (8 cores), and SR-64HXA MicroSD
Cables: UPOCC Copper, And Silverplated UPOCC coppers, hybrid configuration inspired by Sony Z1R Flagship stock cables (is the next best after Silver-Gold in my experiences but much cheaper for Utopia). Authentic OFC Pentaconn plug, and authentic LEMO plugs
Utopia

:). The ultimate portable system, I can only listen to my Utopia at 75 knots over 120 on high-gain btw.

E22A5A34-0F7F-4D43-957E-B8942A516102.jpeg

Dec 10, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #17,295 of 45,723
Did you guys (people who cares about materials purity) know that the Audiophile MicroSD card from Sony is a real deal ? :wink: $165 only, And is a perfect match with your 1Z. I am a materials purity freak. So this is my setup.

Wm1Z + Utopia:

1Z: internal wires of UPOCC Solid silver wires (8 cores), and SR-64HXA MicroSD
Cables: UPOCC Copper, And Silverplated UPOCC coppers, hybrid configuration inspired by Sony Z1R Flagship stock cables (is the next best after Silver-Gold in my experiences but much cheaper for Utopia). Authentic OFC Pentaconn plug, and authentic LEMO plugs
Utopia

:). The ultimate portable system, I can only listen to my Utopia at 75 knots over 120 on high-gain btw.

I was thinking what if you upgarde the internals then one day Sony decided to release a new firmware and it screwed up the sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back