SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #17,268 of 45,723
Hi,
Does it sounds like DSD to you?
Still has pops?
Planning to get this Sony TT. I just don't like the stylus quality.

It sounds like playing the lp, pops and all.

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #17,269 of 45,723
depends on the quality, doesn't it?

Not really. Unless each track is very short 50.000 tracks in flac and dsd are never going to fit in the 500GB he has available

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #17,270 of 45,723
Hey guys,

Anyone who has seen my posts know that I am particular about small scratches on my DAPs. I put a small scratch near the balanced output of my Sony NW-WM1A. I was thinking of getting rid of it, with its Dignis case, 256gb mini SD card and whatever music is on it. Is $650 a fair price for when I put it in classifieds?

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #17,272 of 45,723
Just posting a quick impression - I had the WM1A and WM1Z side by side for a few days (granted, if you believe in burn in, neither had sufficient time burning in), and I liked the WM1A better with my 64 Audio A18. I was perfectly willing to keep the 1Z and send back the 1A, but to my ears, the warmth on the 1A was just right, and the warmth on the 1Z was a little too much for my liking. I listened to both balanced, on high gain, with 64 Audio's Pentaconn terminated premium cable. Genres included classical, jazz, rock, and electronic. With this particular CIEM, the WM1A , to me, sounded better than the AK380 and AK240 as well - though it still sounded great on both.

I think after a certain point, specifically with DAPs over $1000, they do sound different - but it's very hard to say one is specifically better in terms of sound quality. In addition, synergy is so important. After that, I believe features play a more significant role, because sound difference in DAPS, I perceive, as real but relatively minor vs. desktop gear.

As someone who has tried numerous DAPs trying to find the perfect one for the A18, for someone looking to upgrade, I would urge people to try different DAPs in different price ranges with your headphone/IEM of choice, and decide which sounds best to you. Further, since my perceived sound difference are a difference in signature vs. better/worse, and because they are real but relatively small, I would take features (Battery Life, Storage, UI, Networking), into greater consideration than I would for desktop gear. This is of course my opinion and YMMV.

Just trying to help anyone who has upgrade-itis - or feels like they are missing out because they don't have the most expensive DAP. Price very often dictates increased performance, but not always, especially with DAPs. Find the DAP that sounds best with your headphones/IEMs, with the feature set you want the most, and be confident you've made the best choice. I fortunately found the WM1A the best sounding, and love the battery life, UI, amp power, form factor, and looks. Nonetheless, you are always making some type of compromise as I would have preferred more storage and streaming. Overall, though, the WM1A was the best DAP for me, and I'm only urging people to find the best DAP for them; sometimes it will be the most expensive and sometimes it won't.

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #17,273 of 45,723
Just posting a quick impression - I had the WM1A and WM1Z side by side for a few days (granted, if you believe in burn in, neither had sufficient time burning in), and I liked the WM1A better with my 64 Audio A18. I was perfectly willing to keep the 1Z and send back the 1A, but to my ears, the warmth on the 1A was just right, and the warmth on the 1Z was a little too much for my liking. I listened to both balanced, on high gain, with 64 Audio's Pentaconn terminated premium cable. Genres included classical, jazz, rock, and electronic. With this particular CIEM, the WM1A , to me, sounded better than the AK380 and AK240 as well - though it still sounded great on both.

I think after a certain point, specifically with DAPs over $1000, they do sound different - but it's very hard to say one is specifically better in terms of sound quality. In addition, synergy is so important. After that, I believe features play a more significant role, because sound difference in DAPS, I perceive, as real but relatively minor vs. desktop gear.

As someone who has tried numerous DAPs trying to find the perfect one for the A18, for someone looking to upgrade, I would urge people to try different DAPs in different price ranges with your headphone/IEM of choice, and decide which sounds best to you. Further, since my perceived sound difference are a difference in signature vs. better/worse, and because they are real but relatively small, I would take features (Battery Life, Storage, UI, Networking), into greater consideration than I would for desktop gear. This is of course my opinion and YMMV.

Just trying to help anyone who has upgrade-itis - or feels like they are missing out because they don't have the most expensive DAP. Price very often dictates increased performance, but not always, especially with DAPs. Find the DAP that sounds best with your headphones/IEMs, with the feature set you want the most, and be confident you've made the best choice. I fortunately found the WM1A the best sounding, and love the battery life, UI, amp power, form factor, and looks. Nonetheless, you are always making some type of compromise as I would have preferred more storage and streaming. Overall, though, the WM1A was the best DAP for me, and I'm only urging people to find the best DAP for them; sometimes it will be the most expensive and sometimes it won't.

I have upgrade-itis. Thank you.

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #17,275 of 45,723
but they are already..he posted the pic

i agrre though, he must not have many dsds in that library

No they are not, 952GB don’t fit on these players

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #17,276 of 45,723

Does anyone out there feel this way after burn in? I love the Sony-NW-WM1A, but I am curious.

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #17,277 of 45,723
Does anyone out there feel this way after burn in? I love the Sony-NW-WM1A, but I am curious.

I know exactly how you feel as I have been in your situation so many times before. At least for me, no matter what anyone says - it unfortunately doesn't completely cure my upgrade-itis :)

There are plenty of retailers who have 60 day return policies. Why not buy a WM1Z and you can put it through it's paces with your WM1A. That way you can get the whole experience - the look and feel of the device, the sound, and then decide for yourself if you want to keep the 1Z. Again, I don't think we should use online audio retailers as demo services, but with less and less hifi shops around - I think they provide the return policy specifically because audio is a very personal thing, and sometimes you need the device in your system with your music and your gear to make a decision.

I had a brick-and-mortat hifi retailer I frequented which had a no return policy, but would always allow me to bring something home to demo. Unfortunately, they, like many others, have closed down.

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #17,278 of 45,723
but they are already..he posted the pic

i agrre though, he must not have many dsds in that library
Exactly i dont have that much DSD, just some 21 albums, 30 in Hi-res FLAC and the rest 2900+ in CD quality flac (no mp3, no AAC, no ogg, in short, no lossy)

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #17,280 of 45,723
Exactly the pic is of my Hard drive. I really wish there was a 2TB microSD card :D

Yeah that would be great but would probably cost the same as a 1Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back