SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #16,576 of 45,723
Hi All,

Is the sale price for 1Z for $2699 USD in Amazon USA permanent or just temporary?

I believe until they sell all of them and it’s the Version without the volume limitation. I’ve been keeping my eye on this one from Amazon. There’s one on sale now on eBay but I’d rather purchase from a dealer at this price range.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #16,577 of 45,723
I believe until they sell all of them and it’s the Version without the volume limitation. I’ve been keeping my eye on this one from Amazon. There’s one on sale now on eBay but I’d rather purchase from a dealer at this price range.

No, BuyWise sell the Japanese tourist version (all languages available), no volume limitation.
they have a good record.

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #16,578 of 45,723
Yes it would be great to give us more information for sound changes with firmware updates. As before it sounded more, musical, lush, tube like with exceptionally more bass. With 2.0 update it sounds brighter, more instrumental separation, wider soundstage, less bass more airy. It sounds more like an reference Dap, not Sony Sound signature as it suits more classical music. An audio friend told me that Ak Ultima SP1000 CU has the best slam bass for Rock/Pop Music, but too expensive to buy. When on sale. Sony had ruined the sound signature for some people. Some people love the new software update. Can’t please everyone. To me it sounds more like an Astell&kern Daps. As I own 3 previous flagships. I bought Sony for an different sound signature. I do hope Sony is listening to customers feedback, it needs another software update.

Hi roses77, about your suggestions of cable ... I have been using Sony Kimbler cable for my Z1R since day 1 when I purchased them together ...

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #16,579 of 45,723
How nice would be if Sony releases a new firmware to add a setting called something like "Sound Tuning" that shows a drop-down menu listing all the past firmwares for the user to select one and apply that signature to the current song without restarting the DAP? Oh man...

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #16,580 of 45,723
Adding my 2 cents to the fw discussion.. I had fw 2.0 for about 15 hrs and I am afraid I hated the sound signature. Thanks to fellow head-fier who shared a link for 1.2 fw I managed to rollback. Sanity restored.. if I were to categorize in one word sound signature difference between the 2 firmwares.. i would say fw 1.2 = "musical" fw 2.0 ="clinical". I personally felt that fw 2.0 was bringing details more to front , increasing soundstage , vocals were receded and bass less punchy. I always felt Sony wm1z never had bloated bass, but with fw 1.2 the bass was deep and organic while being punchy( daft punk, massive attack).. I could feel that on my k10s and z1r. I also love vocals that have forward presentation which I lost in fw 2.0(hooverphonic, Norah Jones). Also treble enhancement I didn’t care for. I also realized the sound was fatiguing for my tastes. I personally felt my gear had better synergy with fw 1.2 for my tastes.. messing with eq was a big no no. It has a wider impact making wm1z sound like a run of the mill dap. When I downgraded I tested sound on high gain and the sound sig matches that of fw 2.0 on low gain.. I feel that Sony May have done this to boost power.. anyway to each his own. I am glad I tried fw 2.0 and happy to go back to 1.2

As we all have different tastes and different gear it is nice not to have an option forced on you by manufacturer. now enjoying wm1z with k10 and sound is so beautiful relaxed with details, vocals front and center and bass that goes deep and impactful.. bliss

Pc

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #16,581 of 45,723
Adding my 2 cents to the fw discussion.. I had fw 2.0 for about 15 hrs and I am afraid I hated the sound signature. Thanks to fellow head-fier who shared a link for 1.2 fw I managed to rollback. Sanity restored.. if I were to categorize in one word sound signature difference between the 2 firmwares.. i would say fw 1.2 = "musical" fw 2.0 ="clinical". I personally felt that fw 2.0 was bringing details more to front , increasing soundstage , vocals were receded and bass less punchy. I always felt Sony wm1z never had bloated bass, but with fw 1.2 the bass was deep and organic while being punchy( daft punk, massive attack).. I could feel that on my k10s and z1r. I also love vocals that have forward presentation which I lost in fw 2.0(hooverphonic, Norah Jones). Also treble enhancement I didn’t care for. I also realized the sound was fatiguing for my tastes. I personally felt my gear had better synergy with fw 1.2 for my tastes.. messing with eq was a big no no. It has a wider impact making wm1z sound like a run of the mill dap. When I downgraded I tested sound on high gain and the sound sig matches that of fw 2.0 on low gain.. I feel that Sony May have done this to boost power.. anyway to each his own. I am glad I tried fw 2.0 and happy to go back to 1.2

As we all have different tastes and different gear it is nice not to have an option forced on you by manufacturer. now enjoying wm1z with k10 and sound is so beautiful relaxed with details, vocals front and center and bass that goes deep and impactful.. bliss

Pc

Awesome explanation of both firmware. At first it appeared most of everyone liked the new update but not so much.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #16,583 of 45,723
Nov 15, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #16,585 of 45,723
switched back to FW 1.20 while it has good soundstage, the light bass for WM1A ... I don't really need APTx nor MQA nor APE

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #16,586 of 45,723
Awesome explanation of both firmware. At first it appeared most of everyone liked the new update but not so much.

I'll be the odd man out. I like 2.0. I think it's a very clear sound. I don't need MQA or APE, but appreciate the addition of aptX and aptX HD, although most of my time with the Z is with Zeus XR. It's clearly one of those 'different strokes for different folks' decisions. Whatever helps you enjoy your music.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #16,587 of 45,723
Still have 1.10....on Sony NW-WM1A

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #16,588 of 45,723
Is cue support not that popular a thing around here that Sony would consider including it in the FW?

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #16,589 of 45,723
Is cue support not that popular a thing around here that Sony would consider including it in the FW?

The only time I ever used cue files was with the Colorfly C4 where the only way to get gapless was to rip a cd to one file. Otherwise I’ve never understood why you would need or want to use cue files

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #16,590 of 45,723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back