SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #16,606 of 45,723
Now Se5ult and FAD X-G with 1z 2.0 =Heaven :)
Tawek,

Try Warbler Prelude. It's amazing. And affordable as long as totl ciems are concerned. Has amazing synergy with my mod1Z. I guess if soundwise it's similar to AK, then it should also has amazing synergy with AK.

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #16,607 of 45,723
So, I rolled back to 1.2v for mod 1Z. In 1.2, every sound, eg: vocals, musics sounded thicker, bolder. This reminds me of how a good copper cable should sound. Like a hot steaming, good, thick coffee. Stability is the name here. I think this may be more suitable for WM1A, although that depends on one's sound preference and iem used.

Going back to 2.00v, soundstage, separation, resolution go up a notch. More importantly dynamics play a better role. Vocals are more expressive and has lots of feelings, music seems to be more 3D-ish? On some songs, music can sound amazing, some sounds can feel like its from miles away, you can hear how hard the piano notes are touched, echoes go on and on and on.I think the word here is expressive and alive.

I'm using modded 1Z with Warbler Prelude and Alo Ref 8 iem cable, and also use EQ. So, performance maybe a little harder to replicate.

The negative about rolling back and forth for the 2 different version is that I lost all the songs I have on the bookmarks and the need to rebuild the library, but can be done on the WM1Z/A itself. Be aware about this.

Play around and see which version is more suitable for you. For me, I really like version 2.00, it's really special based on sound quality alone and gives me goosebumps. I think brighter iem, eg: Andromeda or using silver cable should benefit well from version 2.00

Please share your impressions if you can

Agree 100%. I stay with version 2. Some my thoughts - if you are listening mainly Red Book flac, mp3, rock, pop perhaps it would better stay with version 1.2. If listening good HR, DSD recordings, acoustic music - version 2.0 much better.

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #16,608 of 45,723
So, I rolled back to 1.2v for mod 1Z. In 1.2, every sound, eg: vocals, musics sounded thicker, bolder. This reminds me of how a good copper cable should sound. Like a hot steaming, good, thick coffee. Stability is the name here. I think this may be more suitable for WM1A, although that depends on one's sound preference and iem used.

Going back to 2.00v, soundstage, separation, resolution go up a notch. More importantly dynamics play a better role. Vocals are more expressive and has lots of feelings, music seems to be more 3D-ish? On some songs, music can sound amazing, some sounds can feel like its from miles away, you can hear how hard the piano notes are touched, echoes go on and on and on.I think the word here is expressive and alive.

I'm using modded 1Z with Warbler Prelude and Alo Ref 8 iem cable, and also use EQ. So, performance maybe a little harder to replicate.

The negative about rolling back and forth for the 2 different version is that I lost all the songs I have on the bookmarks and the need to rebuild the library, but can be done on the WM1Z/A itself. Be aware about this.

Play around and see which version is more suitable for you. For me, I really like version 2.00, it's really special based on sound quality alone and gives me goosebumps. I think brighter iem, eg: Andromeda or using silver cable should benefit well from version 2.00

Please share your impressions if you can

Some people I know don't like the fact the bass went down a notch, even with the other improvements because EQ/Audio Adjustments is the devil for some of us :) not for me though, it's just beautiful using andromeda and effect audio thor ii on v2.0. Though I'm thinking if copper cables will help with the bass, just a weird thought.

So can you roll back to 1.2 version I thought it said in software update it can’t be reversed. I’d be happy to go back to 1.2v

You can roll back, just take note that when you do, you'll need to manually rebuild the database since the v2.0 database isn't compatible with the old (new tags and stuff)

Man, that's beautiful, but damn expensive :frowning2:

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #16,609 of 45,723
Some people I know don't like the fact the bass went down a notch, even with the other improvements because EQ/Audio Adjustments is the devil for some of us :) not for me though, it's just beautiful using andromeda and effect audio thor ii on v2.0. Though I'm thinking if copper cables will help with the bass, just a weird thought.

You can roll back, just take note that when you do, you'll need to manually rebuild the database since the v2.0 database isn't compatible with the old (new tags and stuff)

Man, that's beautiful, but damn expensive :frowning2:
The problem is you have to use it's midas case, so you are basically buying two case from them.

http://dignis.co.kr/product/detail.html?product_no=179&cate_no=92&display_group=1

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #16,610 of 45,723
Agree 100%. I stay with version 2. Some my thoughts - if you are listening mainly Red Book flac, mp3, rock, pop perhaps it would better stay with version 1.2. If listening good HR, DSD recordings, acoustic music - version 2.0 much better.

why so ?

i am 100% redbook flac with my WM1A

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #16,611 of 45,723
Nov 16, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #16,613 of 45,723
1.2 - have less detailed signature and Red book sharpness get some pleasant wailing
2.0 - more detailed shines with HR ans especially DSD

Just my 5 cents. Anyway I stay with updated version 2.0, which can be softened with "Slow" filter if needed.

where i this located exactly ?

Nov 16, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #16,614 of 45,723

You can probably try EA Lionheart or even Leonidas if you have money to spare.

Or just to the top, EA Horus or PW Audio 2W or 4W.

Nov 16, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #16,615 of 45,723
You can probably try EA Lionheart or even Leonidas if you have money to spare.

Or just to the top, EA Horus or PW Audio 2W or 4W.

I was hoping along the (cheap) lines of maybe an ares II hahahahaha

Seriously, one expensive wire is probably what I can afford for the foreseeable future (considering they may change the tone a bit but it's not a night and day thing) while I try to recover my savings :)

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #16,617 of 45,723
The only time I ever used cue files was with the Colorfly C4 where the only way to get gapless was to rip a cd to one file. Otherwise I’ve never understood why you would need or want to use cue files
Perhaps he is referring to the fact he has a large flac or ape file and the cue splits the tracks logically.

I don't use them either, I get a large flac and I use cue splitter for Windows to split the flac into individually smaller flac tracks

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #16,618 of 45,723
Filter:
Settings--Output settings--Select filtering/Gain --- then you get "Slow Roll-Off" (soften) "Sharp Roll-Off" (sharpen). Working whe "Play DSD in Native format" it is turned off.
Thanks for that info, perhaps I go again for v 2.00

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #16,619 of 45,723
Thanks for that info, perhaps I go again for v 2.00

One more tip: with most of Red book flac, bad recorded HR flac I would suggest -3db gain settings - lessen distortion caused by wrong loudness settings of record. Pity, it do not affect clipping of recording.
Route:
Settings--Output settings--Select filtering/Gain --- then you get filters, bellow them 0db gain and -3db - click on circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back