SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #16,052 of 45,723
Back in business on the 2.0 firmware. Not sure what caused the weird boot loop, but running the 1.2 update while it was stuck re-booting, and then rebuilding the database appears to have fixed it. Whew!
Good news and nice to hear that your 1A is still good.

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #16,053 of 45,723
I have heard the Tia Fourte on Lotoo Paw Gold Diana, Questyle QP1R, and Sony NW-WM1A. I like these IEMs on the Questyle QP1R best, but love them on the Sony NW-WM1A too. Very spacious, open, and natural. I will have to spend some time with both sets. the Fourte sounds crazily good and natural. The Shure SE846 has great bass quantity, however the Tia Fourte's bass presentation is quicker, nimbler, and more organically natural. The SE846 also lacks the upper midrange/treble clarity and extension of the Fourte. I have to listen longer, as these are initial impressions. The SE846 is still a warm, darkish, quality entry to the IEM market. The midrange and treble clarity, extension, and timber on the Tia Fourte is the best I have ever heard from an IEM, but still silky smooth. The Tia Fourte has a much bigger soundstage than Shure SE846. Again these pair phenomenally well with the Questyle QP1R in high gain. I am using 96kHz/24bit, high resolution files. I briefly listened to the U18 Tzar, but liked the Fourte so much more thar Tzar promptly went back in the box. I AM IN LOVE WITH THE TIA FOURTE! Strangely, and surprisingly, these sound great on Sony's single ended output...I am starting to doubt people's skepticism of Sony's balanced output.

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #16,054 of 45,723
rEDFlCj.jpg

Got my 1A earlier today and I was pretty worried I was going to be underwhelmed by it.
Worries = gone. This is only on single end with no burn in so I can only imagine it getting better and better as it burns in and once I go to balanced output.

Now that I'm happy with it and know that it's going to stay in my collection, it's time to move forward with looking into cables and ordering that sweet 'Awesome Mix' Dignis case :D

As far as cables are concerned, I've only done minimal research. I've read that silver is mostly for treble and copper for warmth, does that sound right? I'm a bit treble sensitive so I believe I should be looking for copper. What are some good brands / custom shops that I should be looking at? I've read about impactaudio and thepeterek on etsy and also the high high end brands (nordost, kimber) but those are out of my price range.

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #16,055 of 45,723
rEDFlCj.jpg

Got my 1A earlier today and I was pretty worried I was going to be underwhelmed by it.
Worries = gone. This is only on single end with no burn in so I can only imagine it getting better and better as it burns in and once I go to balanced output.

Now that I'm happy with it and know that it's going to stay in my collection, it's time to move forward with looking into cables and ordering that sweet 'Awesome Mix' Dignis case :D

As far as cables are concerned, I've only done minimal research. I've read that silver is mostly for treble and copper for warmth, does that sound right? I'm a bit treble sensitive so I believe I should be looking for copper. What are some good brands / custom shops that I should be looking at? I've read about impactaudio and thepeterek on etsy and also the high high end brands (nordost, kimber) but those are out of my price range.
Happy days ahead for you. Try BGT cables. excellent quality and reasonable priced. VE also makes great cables.

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #16,056 of 45,723
I updated my WM1Z to v2 firmware from Sony USA. The soundstage is noticeably wider. To my ears, the sound signature is more neutral than previous firmwares with smoother treble and less bass in quantity but it is still very well defined. It's very analog like and I can't hear any distortion.
I note the same on my WM1A, wider soundstage WOOOT! and a bit smoother and nice sounding

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #16,057 of 45,723
V. 2.00 definitely sounds better. It makes my Warbler Prelude & Alo Ref8 sounds amazing.

Nov 10, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #16,058 of 45,723
so v2.0 makes WM1A sound better than 1.20?

is there a DL link for us non-japanese speakers ?

also , what's the procedure , i just dl it and place it in a specific folder ?

thanx for the help here

Nov 10, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #16,059 of 45,723
Nov 10, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #16,060 of 45,723
Nov 10, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #16,062 of 45,723
so v2.0 makes WM1A sound better than 1.20?

is there a DL link for us non-japanese speakers ?

also , what's the procedure , i just dl it and place it in a specific folder ?

thanx for the help here
Check my post about two pages back. Very simple procedure if you are on windows. No problem even you download the firmware from Japanese site.

Nov 10, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #16,063 of 45,723
thanx guys

i have the Japan-sold International edition WM1A , can i use both links ?

also , my music files stay intact after installing latest FW right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back