SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #16,022 of 45,723
Nov 9, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #16,023 of 45,723
Wait, so this 2.0 added AptX and MQA, but no USB DAC. Isn’t MQA streaming services only ? And 1Z has no streaming options...what in the blue moon
https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=NWWM1Z&upd_id=11332&os_group_id=28

Nope, mqa is not exclusively streaming. There are artists that sell their album /songs in various formats including mqa (there are a few on bandcamp) most big online stores don't sell them yet since few daps support them at the moment. But eventually they will, and if hdtracks is any indication, it'll be the most expensive format.

Nov 9, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #16,025 of 45,723
Ugh......out the windows with usb DAC feature dream LOL....but I still don’t care yet

It's a fine player without it, but like I postulated in one of my groups, if I were Sony, I would not release the dac update till February. So those that seek a dac/dap will buy the zx300, a nice sales record would look good on a year end report. Then after the holiday sales, update the wm1 series, make current users more happy and maybe entice the fence sitters and zx300 users to upgrade. More profit :p

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #16,026 of 45,723
It's a fine player without it, but lime I postulated in one of my groups, if I were Sony, I would not release the dac update till February. So those that seek a dac/dap will buy the zx300, a nice sales record would look good on a year end report. Then after the holiday sales, update the wm1 series, make current users more happy and maybe entice the fence sitters and zx300 users to upgrade. More profit :p
Yeah, from marketing point of view, I think we are getting there. Remember the time when we were skeptical whether or not the 1Z/A was capable of AptX or MQA in it hardware ? I guess this is Sony answer, Yes, it is capable, we just don’t take off the chains yet ....lol

Nov 9, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #16,028 of 45,723
I updated my WM1Z to v2 firmware from Sony USA. The soundstage is noticeably wider. To my ears, the sound signature is more neutral than previous firmwares with smoother treble and less bass in quantity but it is still very well defined. It's very analog like and I can't hear any distortion.

Nov 9, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #16,030 of 45,723
I updated my WM1Z to v2 firmware from Sony USA. The soundstage is noticeably wider. To my ears, the sound signature is more neutral than previous firmwares with smoother treble and less bass in quantity but it is still very well defined. It's very analog like and I can't hear any distortion.
Hell....I upgraded without trying to listen to it first ....lol...but anything soundstage is welcome.

Nov 9, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #16,031 of 45,723
Wait, so this 2.0 added AptX and MQA, but no USB DAC. Isn’t MQA streaming services only ? And 1Z has no streaming options...what in the blue moon
https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=NWWM1Z&upd_id=11332&os_group_id=28
The simple guess is that this is a generic enabling of MQA codec support so that the WM1x can support MQA music, which Sony does offer. And this would go towards making the MQA format more of a mainstream codec, and not just targetted at streaming Hi Res. Can't see any linkage to USB DAC....

Nov 9, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #16,032 of 45,723
The simple guess is that this is a generic enabling of MQA codec support so that the WM1x can support MQA music, which Sony does offer. And this would go towards making the MQA format more of a mainstream codec, and not just targetted at streaming Hi Res. Can't see any linkage to USB DAC....

Sony offers MQA albums ? I thought Tidal is the only place so far

Nov 9, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #16,033 of 45,723
Yeah, from marketing point of view, I think we are getting there. Remember the time when we were skeptical whether or not the 1Z/A was capable of AptX or MQA in it hardware ? I guess this is Sony answer, Yes, it is capable, we just don’t take off the chains yet ....lol

I knew it was inevitable to get at least apt-x support (mqawas furthest from my mind) my only doubt was is Sony would deign to get a license for its use. Not sure if that license was free so added cost might have been an initial factor. But the moment the zx300 had apt-x it was almost a sure thing, its just a Bluetooth profile, a few strings in the codec so its no biggie to implement.

Dac functionality though, i was skeptical with, since I have no idea if the actual hardware is there to support it.

Nov 9, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #16,034 of 45,723
I knew it was inevitable to get at least apt-x support (mqawas furthest from my mind) my only doubt was is Sony would deign to get a license for its use. Not sure if that license was free so added cost might have been an initial factor. But the moment the zx300 had apt-x it was almost a sure thing, its just a Bluetooth profile, a few strings in the codec so its no biggie to implement.

Dac functionality though, i was skeptical with, since I have no idea if the actual hardware is there to support it.
Isn’t the 1Z/A/Zx300 all using Sony I/C ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back