SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 11, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #15,392 of 15,604
I recently began to feel the difference in sound between DAC/AMP.

When comparing wm1a with several USB DAC/Amp Dongles, the bass expression(The punch of the kick drum is so sweet), vivid decay, dynamic sound, natural and clean tone, and analog texture stood out.

It's interesting that dongles with great measurements like Truthhear SHIO and Ibasso DC04pro don't sound good when you actually listen to them.

In addition, after completing training on the difference in DAC/AMP sound by comparing LG V60, Xperia 1V, questyle m12, etc., I visited an audio listening store yesterday.

I tried SP3000, Kann Ultra, SE300, fiio m11s, Mojo2, Diablo2, Go bar, 4.4mm output with z1r and 3.5mm output with hyla sarda. (I noticed a sound difference between the 3.5mm and 4.4mm output on the wm1a, and realized that the 4.4mm was better for the z1r and the 3.5mm for the sarda.)

1.SP3000
At 3.5mm output, the sibilance sounds more prominent compared to the wm1a. This gave me a hard time, and I immediately moved to 4.4mm output. In the 4.4mm output, the presence of the snare became stronger instead of the presence of the high range, and the expression of the kick drum was worse than that of the wm1a. The vocals lack life in their soul and the overall sound is not musical.

2. Kann Ultra
It sounded clean and good overall at the 4.4mm output, but compared to the wm1a, it had slightly artificial textures and lacked a bit of analog and naturalness. When listening through 3.5mm output, the bass expression was poor and the presence of vocals was slightly emphasized. The sibilance is not emphasized like the SP3000, and the tone is still clean. The wm1a has the advantage of bass expression and analog texture, but the Kann Ultra has the advantage of making female vocals sound clearer and less blurry.

3.SE300
This is an interesting device. It has Over Sampling (OS) mode and Non-Over Sampling mode (NOS) mode, as well as Class A AMP mode and Class AB AMP mode. A total of 4 combinations made me dizzy, but I intuitively believed that NOS Mode & Class A AMP mode and OS Mode & Class AB AMP mode had appropriate synergy.

NOS&Class A mode was not good at 3.5mm output. The midrange was too rich, the sound was flat (not dynamic), and it didn't sound appealing at all. Textures keep up with wm1a, but everything else lags. OS&Class AB mode is definitely better, and although the tone is cool, the bass expression is poor and the vocals have a slightly artificial feel. This was similar to the 3.5mm output on the Kann Ultra.

Also, I felt that the DAC/AMP here also affects the image presentation. The SE300's separation is excellent and has a hi-fi feel. This is a trade-off relationship. The greater the separation, the less harmonious the instruments may be. In terms of immersion, I think this is just personal preference.

OS&Class AB mode in 4.4mm output is no different from that in 3.5mm, and NOS&Class A mode is also similar. Both bass and high range expressions are not good. I am disappointed with the Class A amplifier.

4. Fiio m11s
I've only heard of the 4.4mm output, and its interface is very unintuitive. Anyway, z1r cannot run on LO output. Changing the gain is meaningless, the bass is too spread out and the sound is muffled and unbelievably bad. The sound is much better with the PO output, and the tone is not bad, but it is comparable to the questyle m12.

5.Mojo2
I was interested in Chord Electronics, but gave up after hearing this. In terms of dynamics, the sound sounds flat, the bass is not sweet at all and the timbre is artificial. Not to mention the texture, I was disappointed.

6. Ifi Diablo2 & Go bar
Both are bad. The balance is tilted a little downward, the sound is dull and the tone is not beautiful at all. This is a disaster.

I have come to realize that many DAC/AMP engineers design without actually hearing the sound.

Sony is not without its share of superstitious tendencies (like the SR-64HXA micro SD card...), but they at least try to find the optimal sound by listening to the music themselves. In fact, it felt very valid in wm1a.

Additionally, Sony DAP's interface is much more stylish, simple, and intuitive than many recent DAPs.

I am now interested in wm1z, wm1am2, and wm1zm2. There is a place 5 hours drive away where I can try wm1am2 and wm1zm2. If I have time someday, I will visit and leave an impression. I am really curious and looking forward to how the sound will differ between the Sony Walkman brothers.
I am interested with your statements in comparing Kann Ultra and WM1A, kindly tell me which firmware that was installed on the WM1A and the settings used, and the region please.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #15,393 of 15,604
Apr 11, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #15,395 of 15,604
So I'm not seeing it. Android settings?
Play a song and then on top of Walkman music app click on 3 dots and go to settings. Within the setting you will find a group for DSD and this setting is within Filtering during DSD Playback.

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #15,396 of 15,604
Play a song and then on top of Walkman music app click on 3 dots and go to settings. Within the setting you will find a group for DSD and this setting is within Filtering during DSD Playback.
Ahh there it is, thanks!

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #15,398 of 15,604
Yes you can customise your favourite picture as your wallpaper.
IMG_20240412_132309.jpg

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #15,400 of 15,604
Apr 12, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #15,402 of 15,604
Maybe time for you to consider upgrading to better cards.
Mostly I use internal storage. Don't think will upgrade as Sony WM1ZM2 is only my outdoor music player. I'm using my Aroma Audio stack for bedside listening at home. Perfer to spend more on the fine tuning of Aroma Audio stack more fun opamp rolling, etc.

Apr 12, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #15,403 of 15,604
Hello,

Maybe it is a dumb question but is it possible to use the Nw-wm1zm2 as DAC via 4.4mm Line out or via the usb-c to coax?
I used the first Generation on the TA-Z1HES via the Walkman Port.
I would like to use the NW-WM1ZM2 with the TA-Z1HES too and with the Cayin HA-300MK2(via 4.4mm line out).

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #15,404 of 15,604
Hi . In your opinion, what are the things that Wm1am2 has less than Wm1zm2, which may make you prefer the purchase of the more expensive version?

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #15,405 of 15,604
Hello,

Maybe it is a dumb question but is it possible to use the Nw-wm1zm2 as DAC via 4.4mm Line out or via the usb-c to coax?
I used the first Generation on the TA-Z1HES via the Walkman Port.
I would like to use the NW-WM1ZM2 with the TA-Z1HES too and with the Cayin HA-300MK2(via 4.4mm line out).
Yes it is possible to connect the M2 Walkman to the TA-ZH1ES Walkman port, you just need to have the right cables or USB-C adaptor attachment on top of your existing cable.

The Walkman does not have a true line out, however it is still possible to use the Walkman’s 4.4mm headphone jack to connect to another amp, just have to make sure that the volume set on the Walkman is not overly high to the point where it is causing audible distortion to the connected amp, meaning there’s a volume sweet spot to be found.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back