SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 3, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #15,153 of 15,612
Just curious, and maybe you don't want to open this can of worms at the moment, but did you compare all the cards to the internal storage? Where they all preferable? Or just different? And I imagine there'd be differences on different devices (Shanling/Sony) :)
Down the Rabbit Hole - Free Alice in ...
30+ Alice In Wonderland Rabbit Hole ...
Cheshire Cat (Disney) | Villains Wiki ...

Apr 3, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #15,154 of 15,612
Just curious, and maybe you don't want to open this can of worms at the moment, but did you compare all the cards to the internal storage? Where they all preferable? Or just different? And I imagine there'd be differences on different devices (Shanling/Sony) :)
Differences where all around, like you have listed.. therefore the -very- consuming process: to be able to get to the point to tell with a decent degree of legitimacy after just 4 weeks, something relyable enough.

The level of precision control and right-timber of instrument is quite ( or quite far😬😬 🤐) better on the m9+ ..which sounds also more analogue then the 1am2 ..which have another character and other good characteristics.. which after fw 1.08 got more into the direction of 1zm2 and m9+..which do not sound quite extremely different in signature ..like rs8 and m9+ quite do instead .. i.e. ...🥵🥵

Internal storage on the Shanling sounds very coherent and anologue..but Swissbit wins ever so slightly on space..therefore some tracks sound ever so slightly more vast ..and reach epicness in an easier way.. But I wouldn't dare say Micron is not the right choice with another less analogue chain ; 1am2+m9 i.e. is one , as m9 do not sound so much analogue whereas they are nice and precise in positioning , a bit cold at times ..by memory though..; and 1am2 stage sure doesn't sound narrow on its own 😎😎 quite the oppposite ..even though the previous fw 1.07 made it more sparkling and kind of airier , more open , depending on tunes..🥵🥵😎😎

Talk about a snake who bites its own tail.

Kioxia and Micron sounded more similar to internal storage , still better on the 1am2 , and as I wrote , their' own sauce could be perceived as a good alternative to the Swissbit 'ultimate purge' treatment.. Apart from classical music i.e. where the added sense of precision in space would jump a bit more at my attention , then the rest..

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #15,157 of 15,612
My flavours of the week is AM2 with MDR-1A unbalanced Kimber and a Swissbit. Highly portable with a complete sound. I could (should) be happy with this forever. Need new earpads though :)
Have you tried the MDR-1R? How much difference will there be between the MDR-1A?

I have the MDR-1R, the MDR-1AM2 and the MDR-Z7M2.

And of the 3 I like the MDR-1AM2 the most, the most musical, the most fun.

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #15,158 of 15,612
Have you tried the MDR-1R? How much difference will there be between the MDR-1A?

I have the MDR-1R, the MDR-1AM2 and the MDR-Z7M2.

And of the 3 I like the MDR-1AM2 the most, the most musical, the most fun.
Unfortunately I don't have the 1R. I do have and love the MDR-Z7M2 and enjoy with a balanced cable. However it is slightly less portable, and I wonder how it sounds with more power. The MDR-1A does not ask for more power. I haven't heard the MDR-1AM2 :)

I find the 1A more musical and more fun than Z7M2 also :)

I prefer the sound of the MDR-Z1R the most, but the weight of a Kimber is a thing, and you are never not aware of how ridiculous you look :) and maybe it wants more power

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #15,159 of 15,612
@boodi

The recent headphone app update on Apr 2024 has altered the spatial feel of the bass notes. It's a little more bigger in terms of how the bass spreads in the soundstage.

Especially if used in conjunction with High Res Streaming On, the effect of the spatial processing seems more improved. There's more sense of afterglow in cymbal strikes and more resonating echoes of the singer's voice.

Would recommend for you to update if you haven't done so.

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #15,160 of 15,612
FW1.08 sure has the better bass then FW1.07 on 1am2 ..it dress it a bit more in a 1zm2 fashion , minus the extra detail , extra decay , extra smoothness , extension in highs and analogueness ( 1zm2 offers these extras and more - my findings at least , as for an overall "deeper" albeit less impactful listening experience with it )

FW1.08 has less emphasis in highs rendering ( or, they offer less sparkle and reverbs i.e. , then on FW1.07 , my ears on 1am2 )

The headphone app - I never used it .

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #15,161 of 15,612
FW1.08 sure has the better bass then FW1.07.. it's more in the 1zm2 dress , minus the extra detail , extra decay , extra smoothness , extension in highs and analogueness ( 1zm2 - my findings at least , as for an overall "deeper" albeit less impactful listening experience with it )

FW1.08 has less emphasis in highs rendering ( or, they offer less sparkle and reverbs i.e. , then on FW1.07 , my ears )

The headphone app - I never used it .
As long as you do not explicitly disable the headphone app, it's HRTF algorithms will be in effect, system wide right from bootup(no app launch required).

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #15,163 of 15,612
I see now.
I didn't know really about this fact.

I am updating it later tonight then.

There's a lack of understanding and official communication of how these various apps work in the grand scheme of how the Walkman works. I have to try so many combination of sound settings and app disabling and spending many many countless hours of critical listening before I would make my conclusion on what each of these Sony apps does internally(documented or undocumented).

I have noticed that by intentionally adding Sony wired IEM/Headphone profiles and uploading ear photo to Sony would even alter how Sony Music App sounds with regular stereo music files(not just 360RA files), even how DSEE Ultimate would be very different, as it makes the sound staging even more pinpoint precise but you do have to own specific Sony 360RA cerified models to experience this better pinpoint sound staging.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #15,165 of 15,612
I do not have or use any Sony iem or headphones set at moment
I would encourage you to consider trying out one for yourself if it's possible. IEMs like IER-Z1R and IER-M9 are great candidates.

Obviously there's going to be stronger synergy between Sony Walkman and it's own Sony branded headphone/iems, even though Mr. Sato(Lead sound engineer of the Walkman) would proclaim that he would design the Walkman to sound good on all kinds of headphones/iem brands, not just Sony branded.

On Mr. Sato twitter, it seems quite common to find photo posts of his personal WM1ZM2 paired to the MDR-Z1R.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back