SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 1, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #15,106 of 15,611
Please don't get me wrong. I only meant it in relation to the source device. Personally, I have never heard the M9+ but I have heard the M 9. And I have owned the M8 for over a year. And the M8 and e.g. the AM 2 are completely different devices. This means that the respective SD card will also sound different. If I'm personally completely honest, I like the sound quality of the M8 better than the AM 2. If only the problem with overheating didn't exist. Battery life is fine. Does the M9+ also get extremely hot?

Apr 1, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #15,108 of 15,611
I know, and you are right to ask.

Anything I listed for the Swissbit playing as storage in the m9+ is valid if playing in the 1am2 as well, minus a bit of refinement in some areas and control in others...due to 1am2 lacking in these areas vs the m9+ .
Anything I wrote related to the Swissbit on the m9+ happens on the 1am2 as well but there's a slightly less ease on understanding the differences..it may take a bit longer telling that one is better then the other and the reasons for it , but the difference is still there

On the 1am2 I use Portuguese as language , that adds a little-light bit of bite in mids and stereo separation over the Japanese language , and the Swissbit 'purge' (or clean- treatment) works well...

:) I would advice it still in the bunch, but I am not sure i would go for it if I already had a Micron , the difference in price might not justify what you hear there as better or different or not, in sound..my opinion though..

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #15,109 of 15,611
I know, and you are right to ask.

Anything I listed for the Swissbit playing as storage in the m9+ is valid if playing in the 1am2 as well, minus a bit of refinement in some areas and control in others...due to 1am2 lacking in these areas vs the m9+ .
Anything I wrote related to the Swissbit on the m9+ happens on the 1am2 as well but there's a slightly less ease on understanding the differences..it may take a bit longer .

On the 1am2 I use Portuguese as language , that adds a little bit of bite and stereo separation over the Japanese language , and the Swissbit 'purge' (or clean- treatment) works well...

:) I would advice it still in the bunch, but I am not sure i would go for it if I already had a Micron , the difference in might not justify what you hear there as different / or not...my opinion though..

Apr 1, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #15,111 of 15,611
Yes.

I would want to hear at least ( and use too then) the Swissbit : if I had a lot of classical in my library.

I can't say the difference with the Micron would justify in general the difference in price, when choosing the Swissbit for the 1am2.
But the difference is there to be heard.

For the m9+ , the difference becomes a bit more evident and I quite appreciate more the Swissbit, over a larger library / playlist.

Apr 1, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #15,112 of 15,611
Ja.

Ich würde zumindest das Swissbit hören (und dann auch nutzen wollen): wenn ich viel Klassik in meiner Bibliothek hätte.

Ich kann nicht sagen, dass der Unterschied zum Micron im Allgemeinen den Preisunterschied rechtfertigen würde, wenn man sich für Swissbit für 1am2 entscheidet.
Aber der Unterschied ist hörbar.

Beim m9+ wird der Unterschied etwas deutlicher und ich schätze Swissbit mehr als eine größere Bibliothek/Playlist.
I never hear classic. Jazz Soul Salsa Musica Brasileira ( Forro, Pagode and Samba) Rock and Pop

Apr 1, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #15,113 of 15,611
Please don't get me wrong. I only meant it in relation to the source device. Personally, I have never heard the M9+ but I have heard the M 9. And I have owned the M8 for over a year. And the M8 and e.g. the AM 2 are completely different devices. This means that the respective SD card will also sound different. If I'm personally completely honest, I like the sound quality of the M8 better than the AM 2. If only the problem with overheating didn't exist. Battery life is fine. Does the M9+ also get extremely hot?
M9+ sounds fairly different then m8 ( bigger stage , more separated parts , more controlled bass ,less tube-alike warmth in lower mid bass , more details and extension on higs )
M8 sounds bold lush and warm, expressive and rolled off
M9+ sounds powerful controlled tailored and more reference , less warm and a bit less analogue then m8..still warm.

M9+ gets hot on streaming + upsampling or DSD remastering, but not hot as M8.
Battery life on M9+ is another world too.

Apr 1, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #15,115 of 15,611
I'd stay with the Micron
Yes, I think the Micron is not a bad choice. And if you take the price into account, I would say it is a very good choice if you don't listen to classical music. And it also depends on what kind of IEM you use. I like the music full, warm and analog sounding. Simply musical. When I hear the music I have the feeling or desire to stand or at least tap my feet to the beat. And to be honest, I only really had that desire with the M8. I'm really into this special M8 sound. That's why I didn't buy the M9 back then.

Apr 1, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #15,118 of 15,611
Yes, I think the Micron is not a bad choice. And if you take the price into account, I would say it is a very good choice if you don't listen to classical music. And it also depends on what kind of IEM you use. I like the music full, warm and analog sounding. Simply musical. When I hear the music I have the feeling or desire to stand or at least tap my feet to the beat. And to be honest, I only really had that desire with the M8. I'm really into this special M8 sound. That's why I didn't buy the M9 back then.
The m8 is very engaging indid.
It has a unique special sauce to its (colored) presentation, it feels like a sort of deep friend that welcomes you to the party asking where or why you were gone, and then pulls you in.
I still have mine , indid.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #15,119 of 15,611
Anyone here know how the Apple lossless experience is on the WM1AM2? Is it bitperfect like it would be on IOS?

No. It will transcode to 48 kHz or 192 kHz, depending on the high resolution streaming setting...

From Sony:

Music streamed using apps other than “Music player” is played in the following quality.
  • [Use High-Res streaming] is on:
    Up-converted playback at 192 kHz/32 bit
  • [Use High-Res streaming] is off:
    Down-converted playback at 48 kHz/16 bit

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #15,120 of 15,611
About my findings on using Swissbit MicroSD against other MicroSD industrial or "high endurance" class memory cards

Disclaimers :

- ymmv
- I have done quite all my listenings with Shanling m9+ and Fir Audio XE6 customs on Code23 cable ( WIFI off, WIFI very slightly change the audio signal, on Shanling m9+ too, that is very slightly worsen it, my ears); I 've begun the journey on the Sony 1am2 but decided to switch to Shanling m9+ for easier critical listenings , for some reasons the other MicroSD cards , namely Micron and Kioxia , could be heard adding something different yet at least equally positive for some music genres and tracks on 1am2 , more frequently then not ;
I also briefly switched to other Headphones and IEMS sets and I had confirmation , but if you wanr consider that XE6 is one of the most loved IEM yet many find it " raw ", singular in its presentation and coloured .
- I wouldn't expect anyone to find it an easy and overall much positive listening experience such as comparing heapdhones iems sets or daps , which has been a clearer and way faster process in my past experiences.

SO : What I found ultimately is the Swissbit convey a different presentation then the other MicroSD cards . And it is not the difference I found at the beginning .
At the beginning I found both the Micron and Kioxia MicroSD cards overall more engaging and more musical then the Swissbit , but I need to tell last words here today so here we are .

The sound presentation of the Swissbit seems to remove - the most - some sort or kind of extra texture of the signal , or off the signal surface -at times you can call it brilliance or sparkle , or at times forwardness or presence , at times an extra punch depending on frequencies and song involved - as result it gives the most "cleanest feeling" for the fullness of the different parts presented simultaneously in a composition ( a mix / mix production usually ) , sure the more akin to what I consider reference studio listening .. which is not always the more engaging and more musical .

That extra texture it's not easy to tell apart and to choose , or dismiss..
i.e. the Kioxia card often gives a slightly tubey midbass harmonic hump signature , which I find myself liking and preferring for some genres and songs I like , jazz i.e. , but it is undeniable switching to the Swissbit that the presentation gets the "super-fine purge" treatment , for that tubey midbass aurea
A very subtle aurea ( noise ? ) that in a way or another is more present with other SD cards . This is not at first listen , or I didn't feel it this way at first - as I said .

So :
there are some songs that sound epic in my setup , better then before on the Swissbit : I have no dubt now , but was not evident in a first listen.. now has become a part of the experience that pulls me in an all-music world in which all the rest disappear , a good part ; it is not just brain burn-in as when I switch card now I am able to tell soon the difference and to admit what a different card is doing . I am sure to say that the Swissbit adds on this experience a bit more then what the other cards do.
But then there are equally significant songs from my library and my recurrent listenings , that do not play completely better with a card or another; for Hiromi i.e. , my fav jazz player with plenty of good recordings released , it is undeniable that on her classic pieces the Swissbit plays more politely and cleaner , as well as the bouncier Kioxia midbass hump adds on the musical flow and engagement for her more modern and jazzy tunes - an added limited frqs noise , similar to an harmonic distortion perhaps , that subtly adds in engagement ?
I don't know . But the difference is there .

-Are they different the different MicroSD industrial cards ? Yes . Slightly ? Absoultely , yes . Night and day ? Noway .
-Micron and Kioxia are almost on par .
-Swissbit has the "pure/total purge" treatment . it goes down and invest the subbass , where it is ever so slightly less overclouded by lower midbass an midbass harmonics ( warmth ? ) and more separated , at the point that you can split better the different lines that play down there in difficult tunes , i.e. in tech-prog pieces with bass effects and double bass drums and the alikes ( courtesy of Xe6 talents ).
- Kootion has the more vibrant mids ..is not that bad in some songs , but ultimately misses the spot on the greater picture for others .
- Kioxia has a tubey midbass harmonic texture that none of the two have , but lags in other aspects Vs the Swissbit ( less clean overall )
- Micron is good enough and similar to the Kioxia , clean enough , might show "perceived" more dynamics :) but in the end they might result as more compressed layers :frowning2: ; Swissbit still has the plainest cleanest audio signal impression at extremes , and is the one that more clearly set itself apart , apparently also on simultaneous - different volume parts compression ( you hear more a single "BOOM" on a Kioxia or Micron in an explosive passage , where in the same passage on Swissbit there's little more in the picture and volumes seem to not compress as much one over the other ..remaining a bit less engaging and more polite too "though" ..)
- With the Swissbit picking up places and timber of instruments can be found **generally** easier , generally means that "that guitar" on that song could play and feel closer on the Micron i.e. , more vibrant on the Kootion , ultimately and over a larger selection of music , the great picture and decoding the different ensambles partitures is a talent that favourite the Swissbit the most , by a more pleasurable margin if classical music is involved .
- With the Swissbit the timbral and tonal shift in songs is more clean...and therefore more appreciable , with Kioxia and Micron can be felt a bit more dynamic at first .. as well as more compressed in the end .. , so , if you'd appreciate more the "full volume impact" for that passage in that song , you could prefer them.. if you'd like to hear the different volumes composition in the micro transients " the most un-compressed possible " for that passage in that song , then you're better going with Swissbit , that would also carry a little less engagement on that peculiar climax , at times can be felt as a compromise (? that's why some production use compression among reasons and post-effects )
- With the Swissbit the sense of space and place of the different parts is easier to "see" ; not night and day but there
- With the Swissbit some songs get the "last bit" of clean : to shine in a more proper way .. on these songs ( depending on mix , more then on song format ) the difference in this last bit ( of cleanliness ? Of de-noise? Or anything else it is ) is undeniable and welcome .

- Would anyone be able to pick up they , whole differences , easily ? no . Me , I struggled in defining them and needed quite some patience. The differences grew over time and were fully understandable and relatable in a longer term and over a long range of critical + casual listenings , and 3 4 weeks in looping 4 MicroSD cards to tell their difference , feels overkill ( short ) and draining

- The comparison between the Swissbit MicroSD and the Metal Type4 tapes of the '90 is quite very fitting . The difference is less dramatic here ( this is from memory ).

- I would raccomand the Swissbit as the overall more clean media storage sound of a bunch I tried in a month .

Bear in mind : I would expect 95% of listeners of a bunch that included a 10 - 20 % audiophiles , they would not tell things apart here , that is my sensation ; if not some of them particularly attracted by the millimeter of sound rendering , then they could appreciate it , over a long journey that included normal listenings more then critical listenings , as it would be more alike that those subtle attributes appeared more naturally in a such manner .

I reserve the right to edit this post along the next month :p
Such a joy to read! Thank you very much :)

This is pure gold, I hope some in the industry read this, perhaps start marketing for sound.

This kinda gives me cause to have multiple brands for different flavours.

I like the Metal type IV analogy as well ❤️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back