SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 29, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #15,091 of 15,612
WM1ZM2 with Singularity is one of the best combo out there. Not that I have other DAPs for baseline but the dynamic punch, wide stage and timbre is just great. Some serious DD bass. Anyone looking for good musical DD IEM should consider Singularity.
My XE6 is back in mothership for conversion to custom but singularity has filled the void well.
You sent in the uni for the customs? How did they charge you?

Mar 29, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #15,092 of 15,612
You sent in the uni for the customs? How did they charge you?
They generally don’t reshell universal to Customs but mine had some issue and it was already there for repair. You have to pay a fee of close to $1K for conversion.

Mar 30, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #15,094 of 15,612
Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #15,096 of 15,612
Mar 30, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #15,097 of 15,612
So far, I have no complaints with my NW-WM1AM2. I am re-listening albums that I am very familiar with and I am surprised to hear new details from them (using IEMs). This is just one amazing music equipment that makes me rethink the need to retain my desktop headphone rig (RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> Tom Christiansen Audia HPA-1 -> Sennheiser HD800). Yes, the desktop headphone rig sounds much better but I am now spending more time with the WM1AM2 + Meze Rai Penta combo as it's more convenient to use (and portable too).

My only hardware complaint is that the micro SD tray design is too flimsy. Good thing the copy speeds with the USB-C port are much faster than the proprietary Sony port in the prior version.
I'm late to the party. But I am actually thinking of using the walkman as my computer/file storage,streamer, and second DAC. But I'm not sure if I should be confident in the DAC power output in a headphone set up.

Mar 31, 2024 at 1:15 AM Post #15,099 of 15,612
Dita Project M sounds wonderful on my Sony WM1ZM2! 😍

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #15,100 of 15,612
I'm late to the party. But I am actually thinking of using the walkman as my computer/file storage,streamer, and second DAC. But I'm not sure if I should be confident in the DAC power output in a headphone set up
Sure. With low impedance headphones. But be ready to fork out $ to get yourself a proper amp and inline your walkman to it for high impedance ones.

Mar 31, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #15,101 of 15,612
I had a pleasure to spend the easter long weekend with minimal distraction. My main hope was trying to understand that in my audio hobby where I like to go. Outside of my RS8 which I like for its pure tonality, WM1AM2 is my main go to, but I don't quiet understanding why.
I love P6pro natural, warm tonality, RS8 hifi presentation, but why do I like WM1AM2? I truly struggle to answer this question as it is not easy. Here is my attempt to answer why.

WM1AM2 pairs nicely with my Simphonio VR1, Dita Perputa, Simphonio SP3 and IER-M9 on direct setting. Now turning on the DSP setting, it goes from nice to perfect. With dynamic driver IEM, I find the vinyl processor to be a game changer.
Why vinyl dsp matters for dynamic driver IEM, how it impacts the sound? With DD based IEM, I find each of the setting reduces the fatigue, enhances dynamic and it makes the driver respond more naturally. Here are my findings:
  • Tone arm responsible for bass changes, I find it adds more mid-bass body.
  • Surface noise emphasizes high/mid frequencies. I find it is my go to for large orchestral pieces.
  • Turntable is really adds warmth to vocals, particularly in vocal jazz.
Edit: Why this is the case with dynamic drivers? Well it turns out, according to Sony's research, that in analog domain, unlike digital dac, between the quiet passage where there is no music, in analog playback the cartridge is able to pickup all the noise generate and that in return continuously moves the subwoofer, woofer and drivers. As a result, they drivers are able to respond quickly and more naturally as they never fully stop moving to begin with.
Now replicating that on miniaturized speakers which DD are, we get a similar performance.

No other DAP I have can do this. But all this would only matter if you have an IEM that can response to them well. Simphonio VR1 and SP3 really shows the effect of this dsp, and I found myself listening to 5 hours of music in one setting yesterday.
Now the effect is less noticeable with M9. For M9 I use DSEE AI mostly or DSD resampling.

I have a Brise audio cable coming in for my IER-Z1R and I will revisit the above test again with Z1R. So far I don't like it with WM1AM2. I much prefer the Z series walkman, but I just can't justify buying another DAP?

So while other DAP are too busy focusing on adding more power, Sony is doing it like no one else. I don't think any other DAP can ever challenge Sony in this realm. I also don't think technology will advance that rapidly in DAC section for anyone to truly challenge Sony when all thing in the down stream of Sony is right. My future focus and hope will be eventually a DMP-Z1 replacement and while I might buy a random IEM here and there, I don't see myself buying any new DAP anytime soon.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #15,102 of 15,612
I had a pleasure to spend the easter long weekend with minimal distraction. My main hope was trying to understand that in my audio hobby where I like to go. Outside of my RS8 which I like for its pure tonality, WM1AM2 is my main go to, but I don't quiet understanding why.
I love P6pro natural, warm tonality, RS8 hifi presentation, but why do I like WM1AM2? I truly struggle to answer this question as it is not easy. Here is my attempt to answer why.

WM1AM2 pairs nicely with my Simphonio VR1, Dita Perputa, Simphonio SP3 and IER-M9 on direct setting. Now turning on the DSP setting, it goes from nice to perfect. With dynamic driver IEM, I find the vinyl processor to be a game changer.
Why vinyl dsp matters for dynamic driver IEM, how it impacts the sound? With DD based IEM, I find each of the setting reduces the fatigue, enhances dynamic and it makes the driver respond more naturally. Here are my findings:
  • Tone arm responsible for bass changes, I find it adds more mid-bass body.
  • Surface noise emphasizes high/mid frequencies. I find it is my go to for large orchestral pieces.
  • Turntable is really adds warmth to vocals, particularly in vocal jazz.
Edit: Why this is the case with dynamic drivers? Well it turns out, according to Sony's research, that in analog domain, unlike digital dac, between the quiet passage where there is no music, in analog playback the cartridge is able to pickup all the noise generate and that in return continuously movies the subwoofer, woofer and drivers. As a result, they drivers are able to respond quiet and more naturally as they never fully stop to begin with.
Now replicating that on miniaturized speakers which DD are, we get a similar performance.

No other DAP I have can do this. But all this would only matter if you have an IEM that can response to them well. Simphonio VR1 and SP3 really shows the effect of this dsp, and I found myself listening to 5 hours of music in one setting yesterday.
Now the effect is less noticeable with M9. For M9 I use DSEE AI mostly or DSD resampling.

I have a Brise audio cable coming in for my IER-Z1R and I will revisit the above test again with Z1R. So far I don't like it with WM1AM2. I much prefer the Z series walkman, but I just can't justify buying another DAP?

So while other DAP are too busy focusing on adding more power, Sony is doing it like no one else. I don't think any other DAP can ever challenge Sony in this realm. I also don't think technology will advance that rapidly in DAC section for anyone to truly challenge Sony when all thing in the down stream of Sony is right. My future focus and hope will be eventually a DMP-Z1 replacement and while I might buy a random IEM here and there, I don't see myself buying any new DAP anytime soon.
The Vinyl Processor DSP was the late Mr. Takashi Kanai of Sony. designer of the S-master digital amp’s last works before his passing. I think this DSP effect is something similar to the effects of film grain in photography/movies, where the added noise helps to mask and reduce some of the unpleasant/undesirable aspects of digital media like over-sharpness and ringing. At least now you have discovered that music enjoyment is not just about getting the latest and greatest equipment. It is also about adjusting the sound processing of the Walkman/DAP to suit your own personal preferences.

https://www-sony-jp.translate.goog/...uto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Apr 1, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #15,104 of 15,612
About my findings on using Swissbit MicroSD against other MicroSD industrial or "high endurance" class memory cards

Disclaimers :

- ymmv
- I have done quite all my listenings with Shanling m9+ and Fir Audio XE6 customs on Code23 cable ( WIFI off, WIFI very slightly change the audio signal, on Shanling m9+ too, that is very slightly worsen it, my ears); I 've begun the journey on the Sony 1am2 but decided to switch to Shanling m9+ for easier critical listenings , for some reasons the other MicroSD cards , namely Micron and Kioxia , could be heard adding something different yet at least equally positive for some music genres and tracks on 1am2 , more frequently then not ;
I also briefly switched to other Headphones and IEMS sets and I had confirmation , consider that XE6 is one of the most loved IEM but many find it " raw ", singular in its presentation .. and coloured .
- I wouldn't expect anyone to find it an easy and overall much positive listening experience such as comparing heapdhones iems sets or daps , which has been a clearer and way faster process in my past experiences.

SO : What I found ultimately is the Swissbit convey a different presentation then the other MicroSD cards . And it is not the difference I found at the beginning .
At the beginning I found both the Micron and Kioxia MicroSD cards overall more engaging and more musical then the Swissbit , but I need to tell last words here today so here we are .

The sound presentation on the Swissbit MicroSD seems to remove - the most - some sort or kind of extra texture of the signal , or off the signal surface -at times you can call it brilliance or sparkle , or at times forwardness or presence , at times an extra punch depending on frequencies and song involved - as result it gives the most "cleanest feeling" for the fullness of the different parts presented simultaneously in a composition ( a mix / mix production usually ) , sure the more akin to what I consider reference studio listening .. which is not always the more engaging and more musical .

That extra texture it's not easy to tell apart and to choose , or dismiss..
i.e. the Kioxia card often gives a slightly tubey midbass harmonic hump signature , which I find myself liking and preferring for some genres and songs I like , jazz i.e. , but it is undeniable switching to the Swissbit that the presentation gets the "super-fine purge" treatment , for that tubey midbass aurea
A very subtle aurea ( noise ? ) that in a way or another is more present with other SD cards . This is not at first listen , or I didn't feel it this way at first - as I said .

So :
there are some songs that sound epic in my setup , better then before on the Swissbit : I have no dubt now , but it was not so evident in a first listen.. now it has become a part of the experience that pulls me in an all-music world in which all the rest disappear , a good part ; it is not just brain burn-in as when I switch card now I am able to tell soon the difference and to clearly tell what a different card is doing . I am sure to say that the Swissbit adds on this experience a bit more then what the other cards do.
But then there are equally significant songs from my library and my recurrent listenings , that do not play completely better with a card or another; for Hiromi i.e. , my fav jazz player with plenty of good recordings released , it is undeniable that on her classic pieces the Swissbit plays more politely and cleaner , as well as the bouncier Kioxia midbass hump adds on the musical flow and engagement for her more modern and jazzy tunes - an added limited frqs noise , similar to an harmonic distortion perhaps , that subtly adds in engagement ?
I don't know . But the difference is there .

-Are they different the different MicroSD industrial cards ? Yes . Slightly ? Absoultely , yes . Night and day ? Noway .
-Micron and Kioxia are almost on par .
-Swissbit has the "pure/total purge" treatment . it goes down and invest the subbass , where it is ever so slightly less overclouded by lower midbass and midbass harmonics ( warmth ? ) and more separated , at the point that you can split better the different lines that play down there in difficult tunes , i.e. in tech / metal / prog pieces with bass rumbles and reverbs and double bass drums and the alikes ( courtesy of Xe6 talents too ).
- Kootion has the more vibrant mids ..is not that bad in some songs , but ultimately misses the spot on the greater picture for others .
- Kioxia has a tubey midbass harmonic texture that none of the two have , but lags in other aspects Vs the Swissbit ( less clean overall )
- Micron is good enough and similar to the Kioxia , clean enough , might show "perceived" more dynamics :) but in the end they might result as more compressed layers :frowning2: ; Swissbit still has the plainest cleanest audio signal impression at extremes , and is the one that more clearly set itself apart , apparently also on simultaneous - different volume parts compression ( you hear more a single "BOOM" on a Kioxia or Micron in an explosive passage , where in the same passage on Swissbit there's little more in the picture and volumes seem to not compress as much one over the other ..remaining a bit less engaging and more polite too "though" ..)
- With the Swissbit picking up places and timber of instruments can be found **generally** easier , generally means that "that guitar" on that song could play and feel closer on the Micron i.e. , more vibrant on the Kootion , ultimately and over a larger selection of music , the great picture and decoding the different ensambles partitures is a talent that favours the Swissbit the most , by a more pleasurable margin if classical music is involved .
- With the Swissbit the timbral and tonal shift in songs is more clean...and therefore more appreciable , with Kioxia and Micron can be felt a bit more dynamic at first .. as well as more compressed in the end .. , so , if you'd appreciate more the "full volume impact" for that passage in that song , you could prefer them.. if you'd like to hear the different volumes composition in the micro transients " the most un-compressed possible " for that passage in that song , then you're better going with Swissbit , that would also carry a little less engagement on that peculiar climax , at times can be felt as a compromise (? that's why some production use compression among reasons and post-effects )
- With the Swissbit the sense of space and place of the different parts is easier to "see" ; not night and day but there
- With the Swissbit some songs get the "last bit" of clean : to shine in a more proper way .. on these songs ( depending on mix , more then on song format ) the difference in this last bit ( of cleanliness ? Of de-noise? Or anything else it is ) is undeniable and welcome .

- Would anyone be able to pick up they whole differences , easily ? no . Me , I struggled in defining them and needed quite some patience. The differences grew over time and were fully understandable and relatable in a longer term and over a long range of critical + casual listenings , and 3 4 weeks in looping 4 MicroSD cards to tell their difference , feels overkill ( short ) and draining

- The comparison between the Swissbit MicroSD and the Metal Type4 tapes of the '90 is quite very fitting . The difference is less dramatic here ( this is from memory ).

- I would raccomand the Swissbit as the overall more clean media storage sound of a bunch I tried in a month .

Bear in mind : I would expect 95% of listeners of a bunch that included a 10 - 20 % audiophiles , they would not tell things apart here , that is my sensation ; if not some of them particularly attracted by the millimeter of sound rendering , then they could appreciate it , over a long journey that included normal listenings more then critical listenings , as it would be more alike that those subtle attributes appeared and consolidated more naturally in such manner .

I reserve the right to edit this post along the next month :p

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #15,105 of 15,612
About my findings on using Swissbit MicroSD against other MicroSD industrial or "high endurance" class memory cards

Disclaimers :

- ymmv
- I have done quite all my listenings with Shanling m9+ and Fir Audio XE6 customs on Code23 cable ( WIFI off, WIFI very slightly change the audio signal, on Shanling m9+ too, that is very slightly worsen it, my ears); I 've begun the journey on the Sony 1am2 but decided to switch to Shanling m9+ for easier critical listenings , for some reasons the other MicroSD cards , namely Micron and Kioxia , could be heard adding something different yet at least equally positive for some music genres and tracks on 1am2 , more frequently then not ;
I also briefly switched to other Headphones and IEMS sets , I found confirmation on my findings with my "reference" setup , but consider that XE6 is one of the most loved IEM set in the worlds at moment , in a bunch , and many find it " raw " and colored at first , I would be among them , as for a very singular "bold" rich and analogue front presentation , fairly different from the mainstream standards ( if there are any ) ;

I've had Jewel and Traillii too ( among others ) , as it is undeniable to myself that I much prefer the analogue timbral attitude and body of instruments of the XE6 rendering ( other then the particular mood they drive in me on wide selection of listenings ) I've elected this iem ( and setup ) as my portable reference .
- It took quite the time , to cement my ears , hearing , and findings , on the sound differences coming off among the different storages . What I am writing today , I wouldn't be able to write it after 2 weeks of comparisons ; also I would not do it all over again in such a fast fashion ( 3 - 4 weeks in total , or so ) as it's been quite energy and time consuming , it required an overly zelous yet calm and "available" relaxed set of mind and set of times ,to understand the whole thing , blablabla and took me a lot of patience to go back and forth and come up with some words to describe it
- I wouldn't expect anyone to find it an easy and overall much positive critical listening experience such as comparing heapdhones iems sets or daps , which as always been a clearer and way faster sense and process for me .

SO : What I found ultimately is the Swissbit convey a different presentation then the other MicroSD cards . And it is not what I found at the beginning .
At the beginning I found both the Micron and Kioxia MicroSD cards overall more engaging and more musical then the Swissbit , but I need to tell last words here today so here we are .

The sound presentation of the Swissbit seems to remove - the most - some sort or kind of extra texture of the signal , or off the signal surface -at times you can call it brilliance or sparkle , or at times forwardness or presence , at times an extra punch depending on frequencies and song involved - as result it gives the most "cleanest feeling" for the fullness of the different parts presented simultaneously in a composition ( a mix / mix production usually ) , sure the more akin to what I consider reference studio listening .. >>>>which is NOT always the more engaging and more musical .

That extra texture it's not easy to tell apart and to choose , or dismiss..
i.e. the Kioxia card often gives a slightly tubey midbass harmonic hump signature , which I find myself liking and preferring for some genres and songs I like , jazz i.e. , but it is undeniable switching to the Swissbit that the presentation gets the "super-fine purge" treatment , for that tubey midbass aurea
A very subtle aurea ( noise ? ) that in a way or another is more present with other SD cards . This is not at first listen , or I didn't feel it this way at first - as I said .

So :
there are some songs that sound epic in my setup , better then before on the Swissbit : I have no dubt now , but was not evident in a first listen.. now has become a part of an experience that pulls me in subliminal music world in which all the rest disappear , more then before ; and it is not just brain burn-in as when I switch card , now I am able to tell soon the difference and to admit what a different card is doing .
But then there are equally significant songs from my library and my recurrent listenings , that do not play completely better with a card or another; for Hiromi i.e. , my fav jazz player with plenty of good recordings released , it is undeniable that on her classic pieces the Swissbit plays more politely and cleaner , as well as the bouncier Kioxia midbass hump adds on the musical flow and engagement for her more modern and jazzy tunes - an added limited frqs noise , similar to an harmonic distortion perhaps , that subtly adds in engagement ?
I don't know . But the difference is there .

-Are they different the different MicroSD industrial cards ? Yes . Slightly ? Absoultely , yes . Night and day ? Noway .
-Micron and Kioxia are almost on par .
-Swissbit has the "pure/total purge" treatment . it goes down and invest the subbass , where it is ever so slightly less overclouded by lower midbass an midbass harmonics ( warmth ? ) and more separated , at the point that you can split better the different lines that play down there in difficult tunes , i.e. in tech-prog pieces with bass effects and double bass drums and the alikes ( courtesy of Xe6 talents ).
- Kootion has the more vibrant mids ..is not that bad in some songs , but ultimately misses the spot on the greater picture for others .
- Kioxia has a tubey midbass harmonic texture that none of the two have , but lags in other aspects Vs the Swissbit ( less clean overall )
- Micron is good enough and similar to the Kioxia , clean enough , might show "perceived" more dynamics :) but in the end they might result as more compressed layers :frowning2: ; Swissbit still has the plainest cleanest audio signal impression at extremes , and is the one that more clearly set itself apart , apparently also on simultaneous - different volume parts compression ( you hear more a single "BOOM" on a Kioxia or Micron in an explosive passage , where in the same passage on Swissbit there's little more in the picture and volumes seem to not compress as much one over the other ..remaining a bit less engaging and more polite too "though" ..)
- With the Swissbit picking up places and timber of instruments can be found **generally** easier , generally means that "that guitar" on that song could play and feel closer on the Micron i.e. , more vibrant on the Kootion , ultimately and over a larger selection of music , the great picture and decoding the different ensambles partitures is a talent that favourite the Swissbit the most , by a more pleasurable margin if classical music is involved .
- With the Swissbit the timbral and tonal shift in songs is more clean...and therefore more appreciable , with Kioxia and Micron can be felt a bit more dynamic at first .. as well as more compressed in the end .. , so , if you'd appreciate more the "full volume impact" for that passage in that song , you could prefer them.. if you'd like to hear the different volumes composition in the micro transients " the most un-compressed possible " for that passage in that song , then you're better going with Swissbit , that would also carry a little less engagement on that peculiar climax , at times can be felt as a compromise (? that's why some production use compression among reasons and post-effects )
- With the Swissbit the sense of space and place of the different parts is easier to "see" ; not night and day but there
- With the Swissbit some songs get the "last bit" of clean : to shine in a more proper way .. on these songs ( depending on mix , more then on song format ) the difference that this last bit of cleanliness is undeniable and welcome .
- Would anyone be able to pick up they , whole differences , easily ? no . Me , I struggled in defining them and needed a lot patience.
- The differences grew over time and were fully understandable and relatable in a longer term and over a long range of critical + casual listenings , and 3 4 weeks , while looping 4 cards , feels overkill and draining :)
- The comparison of the Swissbit MicroSD to the Metal type4 tapes of the '90 is quite very fitting ... the difference is less dramatic here ( this is from memory ).

- I would raccomand the Swissbit as the overall more clean media storage sound of a bunch

Bear in mind : I would expect 95% of listeners of a bunch that included a 10 - 20 % audiophiles , they would not tell things apart here , that is my sensation ; if not some of them particularly attracted by the millimeter of sound rendering , then they could appreciate it , over a long journey that included normal listenings more then critical listenings , as it would be more alike that those subtle attributes appeared more naturally in a such manner .

I reserve the right to edit this post along the next month :p
Very good report. Thank you for that. But which card did you like best on the AM 2??? We're not in the Shanling M9+ thread here. Sorry, but I think it would be more interesting for everyone here to hear how the different cards sound on a Sony device. Sorry again, I don't mean that in a bad way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back