SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 21, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #15,016 of 15,612
Mar 21, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #15,017 of 15,612
Mar 21, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #15,018 of 15,612
Mar 21, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #15,019 of 15,612
Mar 21, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #15,024 of 15,612
Does DSEE Ultimate do anything if you play FLAC HD files?

Yes, it does even for 24bit 192KHz FLAC files, as it enhances the Bit Depth to 32bit. There is a sound source separation AI inside DSEE Ultimate that extracts out individual sound elements in real time and enhances them. The spatial position of the instruments and vocals may also become more layered and separated(recording dependent, more observable in live recordings). @HiFi Oasis has a good write up on DSEE Effect:

DSEE Changes​

Sony WM1AM2 DSEE

While I have been getting this feeling that DSEE has been getting improvements with each firmware release, this would be the most significant and most noticeable improvement thus far. Firstly, the vocals sound slightly more separated from the instruments now, especially in live recordings (Alice in Chain’s MTV Unplugged album is a good candidate to notice this). There’s also better imaging in the form of more spatial separation. In classical music and live recordings, it’s easier to hear the location of each instrument now. This applies not just to lossy music files but also to CD quality and higher.

I absolutely love DSEE. In my review of the Sony NW-WM1AM2, I go on and on about it, so it’s nice to see that Sony is giving it more attention.
https://www.hifioasis.com/news/does...-the-sony-nw-wm1am2-change-the-sound-profile/

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #15,025 of 15,612
JVC has a similar upsampling and bit depth enhancement technology to Sony, called K2HD Processing:
https://www.jvckenwood.com/en/technology/k2/in-sound-equipment.html

Sony DSEE has been revised to use AI Machine Learning since around 2018, so it means that Sony's DSEE will evolve over time as the AI gets better with more training data. So in that sense, it could be superior to what JVC does. This DSEE is not a cloud based AI but offline Edge AI, which means that the improved DSEE AI trained models have be updated via firmware.

Although this is not Sony's DSEE sound source separation, this video discusses upon the processing and power consumption challenges/constrains with real time AI sound source separation on mobile devices, a glimpse into the challenges/constrains facing Sony AI/Walkman engineers developing DSEE Ultimate processing.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #15,026 of 15,612
Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 7:37 AM Post #15,028 of 15,612
Seems like there’s a Japanese company that is very similar in flash storage manufacturing to Swissbit(Germany) called Hagiwara Solutions. They are also known as Elecom if you came across their LAN and USB-C cables.

I shall dig deeper into this and see if their industrial cards are well speced and if they are available outside of Japan.

The 256GB 3D TLC seems to have very low power consumption: Read: 70mA Write 90mA
http://www.hagisol.co.jp/download/p...orage/Pdf/HSXS23037-A01_MSDB-xxxGK(SxxTLS.pdf

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #15,029 of 15,612
Joined the club…however selecting the handpicked album only due to capacity is a tedious task
That's what they mean by "using your music to listen to your gear" ultimately forgetting why we are listening.
The price some of us pay for being an Audiophile.

Also,I don't know if this is included in the DeBloating Guide but disabling the app "Speech Services by Google" has dramatically increased the UI speed.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #15,030 of 15,612
I am an audiophile .
Music is the best re-equilibrating self-therapy I **use** , to set or reset or rebalance my brain to get after everyday work/life/family activities in a good way

Getting to know and choose the gears , to reach here and along my needs , hes been of absolute help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back