SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 16, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #14,881 of 15,620
Changing language from English to Japanese + a Swissbit constitutes a major change to me :)

After the fw1.08 update, I almost considered selling it. On the English language, it seemed like they were trying to match the sound of their BT headphones - what's the point of a DAP then?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #14,883 of 15,620
Changing language from English to Japanese + a Swissbit constitutes a major change to me :)

After the fw1.08 update, I almost considered selling it. On the English language, it seemed like they were trying to match the sound of their BT headphones - what's the point of a DAP then?
Wow. That is disconcerting about 1.08.

Mar 16, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #14,884 of 15,620
I would also highly recommend for you to uncompress all of your FLAC back to non-compressed PCM if you haven't done so. You can use AIFF format as it support media tagging and album art. Together with the Swissbit, this step has a massive step up in realism of sound, as the bass feels less congested and timing of transients just feels more in flow. You have to take a hit in increased disk space usage but I would think the sound improvements is worth the impact.

Also for FLAC, MP3s and AAC, I have also found a way to improve the sound quality on them:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-m2-wm1a-m2.962054/post-17759672
With a 1.5TB micosd filled with 96 or 44.1 Flac that wont be happening anytime soon.

I think the point if these $$$ DAPs is to have a DAC that can produce exceptional sound from whatever sound format - especially lfrom lossless.

Mar 16, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #14,885 of 15,620
With a 1.5TB micosd filled with 96 or 44.1 Flac that wont be happening anytime soon.

I think the point if these $$$ DAPs is to have a DAC that can produce exceptional sound from whatever sound format - especially lfrom lossless.

Absolutely right!

Up to each user to choose whether they try different DAPs/IEMs/Cables or not. Or make various tweaks.
The beauty for some people, is that the DAP is enjoyable "as is". And for other people, it is even more enjoyable, each time they squeeze a little more out of it. Some with different IEMs and Cables. Some with various tweaks to settings. Some with internal wiring mods.
Some are happy just turning the DAP on, and enjoying it.
Each can do as little, or as much, as they want. Each person decides for themselves, as it is their own ears that they need to satisfy. Nobody can decide for somebody else.

There are some things that make no sense to me, whether due to belief/science, lack of money, lack of interest, etc., so I read about them as an observer, happy for the people who are enjoying those things, but knowing it is not for me, AT THE MOMENT.
Maybe I'll explore those things at a future time. Until then, just something to make note of, as something unexplored.

But I would certainly not judge other's interests, if I have not tried, and have no experience with it. And even if my experience is different, that would not be definitive proof of anything, as there are so many differences in system, music, ears that could change the results. I have seen beliefs overturned too many times to believe that there is nothing left to learn.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #14,886 of 15,620
After updating to fw1.08/debloat/japanese/Swissbit ,
I bet anyone listening to 1am2 stock / stock firmware and an 'updated' one would know wich one to choose
The difference has become relevant

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #14,887 of 15,620
Absolutely right!

Up to each user to choose whether they try different DAPs/IEMs/Cables or not. Or make various tweaks.
The beauty for some people, is that the DAP is enjoyable "as is". And for other people, it is even more enjoyable, each time they squeeze a little more out of it. Some with different IEMs and Cables. Some with various tweaks to settings. Some with internal wiring mods.
Some are happy just turning the DAP on, and enjoying it.
Each can do as little, or as much, as they want. Each person decides for themselves, as it is their own ears that they need to satisfy. Nobody can decide for somebody else.

There are some things that make no sense to me, whether due to belief/science, lack of money, lack of interest, etc., so I read about them as an observer, happy for the people who are enjoying those things, but knowing it is not for me, AT THE MOMENT.
Maybe I'll explore those things at a future time. Until then, just something to make note of, as something unexplored.

But I would certainly not judge other's interests, if I have not tried, and have no experience with it. And even if my experience is different, that would not be definitive proof of anything, as there are so many differences in system, music, ears that could change the results. I have seen beliefs overturned too many times to believe that there is nothing left to learn.
Is the Walkman already fully perfect out of the box? No faults to be found? No bloatware? No need to adjust any settings at all? Use as is? Why mod the hardware when it is already Sony engineer decision to use this part? Why buy a case for the Walkman when the chassis has been perfectly sculptured by these engineers?

If one feels that the Walkman has already been perfectly setup by Sony right out of the box, I am not going to question his/her beliefs on that.

I certainly won’t judge if someone decides to use their WM1ZM2 Walkman for mobile gaming.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #14,888 of 15,620
WM1AM2 and WM1ZM2 Android Optimization Guide.

General Disclaimers:
This guide is completely optional, you don't have to perform this optimization if you don't feel comfortable with adjusting with inner workings of android OS
There is no guarantee that this guide will not cause unexpected issues with operation of your Walkman. Try at your risk.
Please feel free to add anything else missing from this guide

Enabling Fresh Out of box Settings:
Settings >Hi-Res Streaming >Slide to right
Settings > Battery > Battery Percentage > Slide to right
Settings > Battery > Battery Care > Use Battery Care > Slide to right

Gain Access to Android Developer Options:
Settings > About Device > scroll to bottom of page, then Tap Ten times on Build Number
Once this is done, go to:
Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options
Windows animation scale > Animation Off
Transition animation scale > Animation Off
Animator duration scale > Animation Off
Doing the above will disable unnecessary Android system fade animation that slows down App switching(along with unnecessary graphics processing power usage). You will notice more instantaneous app switching.

Apps that are deem safe(by me) to disable in the context of using your Walkman for streaming apps and music playback.
Settings > Apps & notifications > See All xx APPS > Tap on 3 dots at top right of screen > Show System >

Apps to disable(tap on each app and tap on disable):

Android Accessibility Suite
Blocked Numbers Storage
Bookmark Provider
Calculator
Calendar Storage
com.android.contacts.ContactsApplication
com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks
com.android.soundrecorder
Contacts Storage
Default Print Service
Digital Wellbeing
Drive
Duo
Example Wallpapers
Gmail
Google
Google Contacts Sync
Google Partner Setup
Google One Time Init
Google TV
Market Feedback Agent
MusicFX
Photos
Print Service Recommendation Service
Speech Services by Google

If any APPs start having issues running on your walkman, you can restore back the original App settings by doing this:
Settings > Apps & notifications > See All xx APPS > Tap on 3 dots at top right of screen > Reset app preferences

Privacy and other settings to check

Settings > Location > Off

Settings > Accounts > Automatically sync app data > slide to left

Settings > Network and Internet >Airplane mode > Slide to right

Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi preferences > Notify for public networks > slide to left

Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi >Scan settings > Wi-Fi scanning > slide to left

Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi >Scan settings > Bluetooth scanning > slide to left

Settings > Connected devices > Connection preferences > Tap on Bluetooth > Wireless Playback Quality > (set according to your preferences)

Settings > Connected devices > Connection preferences >Nearby Share > Off

Configurações > Sistema > Idiomas e entrada > Teclado na tela > Gboard > Avançado > Compartilhar estatísticas de uso > Deslizar para a esquerda

Configurações > Sistema > Idiomas e entrada > Teclado na tela > Gboard > Avançado > Melhorar voz e digitação para todos > Deslizar para a esquerda

Configurações > Google > Personalizar usando dados compartilhados > deslize para a esquerda para ver tudo listado aqui

Configurações > Acessibilidade > Remover animações > Deslizar para a direita

Configurações> Google> toque nos 3 pontos no canto superior direito> Uso e diagnóstico> Deslize para a esquerda
Still working this guide?

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #14,893 of 15,620
Is the Walkman already fully perfect out of the box? No faults to be found? No bloatware? No need to adjust any settings at all? Use as is? Why mod the hardware when it is already Sony engineer decision to use this part? Why buy a case for the Walkman when the chassis has been perfectly sculptured by these engineers?

If one feels that the Walkman has already been perfectly setup by Sony right out of the box, I am not going to question his/her beliefs on that.

I certainly won’t judge if someone decides to use their WM1ZM2 Walkman for mobile gaming.
A loaded question.

Is a wife ever anything less than perfect?

Mar 16, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #14,894 of 15,620
Where can you buy the Swiss bit? Link

Users who are viewing this thread

Back