SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 17, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #14,912 of 15,684
Curious despite my skepticism... do you need to reboot after changing the language? I'm just streaming from Apple Music and when the language switches and the menus flip, i don't hear any change in the music, nor any skips...
Without a reboot after changing language. Tried the reboot as well, but again to no effect on the WMZ.

Mar 17, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #14,913 of 15,684
No , sound signature changes in 2 3 seconds , along with language shift
Well, i did a blind test with the missus flipping the switch without my knowledge. Did not detect any changes... Could just be my lead ears oh well...

Mar 17, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #14,914 of 15,684
Well, i did a blind test with the missus flipping the switch without my knowledge. Did not detect any changes... Could just be my lead ears oh well...
I guess SQ of 1Z doesn’t respond to language setting.

Mar 17, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #14,915 of 15,684
Faint effects like this are more obvious on certain kinds of music. Acoustic, vocals, well recorded with good stage, micro details, the inflection or emotion of the voice gives a clue. I use female vocals.

Also, no big deal. If you hear a difference, that is a bonus. If not, then one less thing for you to worry about. Always good to give it a try, though.

Mar 17, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #14,916 of 15,684
I would suggest trying out simplified chinese as it is a far bigger departure from the English sound signature as compared to the sound signature changes from English to Japanese.

English has elevated upper mids and more mid bass
Japanese has more sub-bass emphasis with less aggressive mids.
Simplified Chinese has a vocal emphasis, with less mid bass.

Mar 17, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #14,918 of 15,684
Japanese is the least fatiguing, more complete . It lets you hear it all clear more often then not , without any mid or highs push or added aura , besides the sub emphasis , mids stillnquite upfront as for fw1.08 changes , there's a very slight veil on mids that let the stage open up an inch more maybe.. ;
+ one of the smoother /less piercing mids and highs combination of all the list ;
+ deeper stage then th3 others ( sub-bass/balance ) which I dig.

Stone Temple Pilots Purple 2019 hires remaster sounds a threat ,
On jap language.
Big and balanced , dreamy lyrical and poetic and textured on ballads , very grippy and engaging and rock tracks.

Bit less balance on other languages I tried.

And that Bad Guy intro .That hard bass/sub pounding so dry at beginning always sends chills down my spine

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #14,919 of 15,684
Changing the language to change the sound doesn't require a restart. Just press the "pause" button, switch the language, go back to the Sony Music app, and you'll notice the whole interface flicker for a moment. When you press the "play" music button, you should hear a difference in sound quality. Everyone's perception is different, but if you find a quiet environment and listen carefully, it should be quite apparent. At least, with my IER-Z1R, the feedback I get is quite direct. I can distinctly feel the sound change for the same song.

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #14,920 of 15,684
The way I'd describe this kind of sound change is similar to switching earphone cables. Some cables might have a similar sound, while others distinctly differ in perception. Similarly, certain system language environments might give similar sound impressions, but there are also notably different language systems.

Of course, the perception of this sound change isn't earth-shattering. Like cable swaps, the change in sound might only be around 2% to 5%, definitely not over 15%. It's a subtle change, with slight differences in high-frequency extension, low-frequency dispersion, overall resolution, or slight shifts in vocal presence, all of which can be quite noticeable in a quiet environment.

Perhaps this month I enjoy one sound, but next month I might suddenly prefer the sound of another language system. Human perception varies depending on different times, moods, and environments.

Experiment, compare, and find the sound you enjoy at a particular time. That's the joy of being an audiophile, isn't it?

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #14,921 of 15,684
The way I'd describe this kind of sound change is similar to switching earphone cables. Some cables might have a similar sound, while others distinctly differ in perception. Similarly, certain system language environments might give similar sound impressions, but there are also notably different language systems.

Of course, the perception of this sound change isn't earth-shattering. Like cable swaps, the change in sound might only be around 2% to 5%, definitely not over 15%. It's a subtle change, with slight differences in high-frequency extension, low-frequency dispersion, overall resolution, or slight shifts in vocal presence, all of which can be quite noticeable in a quiet environment.

Perhaps this month I enjoy one sound, but next month I might suddenly prefer the sound of another language system. Human perception varies depending on different times, moods, and environments.

Experiment, compare, and find the sound you enjoy at a particular time. That's the joy of being an audiophile, isn't it?

I felt that Simplifed Chinese seems to work very well with Mandopop genre. The elevated vocal clarity, mid bass reduction and minimum spatial sound processing seems to help a lot in making the Mandarin and Cantonese words sound a lot more clearer.

Although Simplifed Chinese doesn’t work with Yosasbi which is definitely best on Japanese language.

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #14,922 of 15,684
Different combinations are a fascinating thing. Yesterday, I switched my earphone cable and paired it with the Japanese language environment, and I really liked the sound quality that came out. But with this same cable in other languages, the sound just doesn't cut it.

So, test, experiment, find your own listening experience. Then, back to the music itself. It's now 12:15 AM Beijing time, and I'm listening to a love song when suddenly my ex-girlfriend texts me. Coupled with the heart-wrenching song, the feeling is just overwhelming. Ah, now I can't sleep again. Alright, enough listening, time to play a few rounds of FIFA 24 on my ps5, and get some sleep. 😂

Mar 17, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #14,923 of 15,684
Finally went for my original idea and ordered an uncapped WM1ZM2 — I'll revert back in a few weeks and will do a write-up, there's weirdly so little of them.

Uncapped WM1ZM2 received — love it — more, and write-up, on it later.

Edit: btw, the WM1ZM2 has a stunning synergy with the Nightjar Acoustics Singularity… a match made in heaven both visually and sonically.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #14,924 of 15,684
Uncapped WM1ZM2 received — love it — more, and write-up, on it later.

Edit: btw, the WM1ZM2 has a stunning synergy with the Nightjar Acoustics Singularity… a match made in heaven both visually and sonically.

Really love your website’s editorial, it is very meaningful:

What brings us here is music. This universal language which conveys emotions like no other medium, even in the absence of lyrics.
Technology allowed it to transcend time and space and, with each new ways of rendering music, it allows us to experience our favourite songs anew.
For the music lovers we are, this is an experience like none other. There is no endgame in this endeavour — it is an endless journey of (re)discovery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back