SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 15, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #14,853 of 15,734
This works out well. Thanks for the suggestion
IMG_1776.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #14,854 of 15,734
Trying out the Sandisk High Endurance 64GB on fw 1.08 with Japanese Language on my WM1AM2:

Impressions:
I think in general, it is great sounding card. it has a very clear tone, good detail retrieval and inching to a slightly more analytical sound. It has quite a good spatial soundstage too. Bass presentation is great too, especially with Japanese language.

In terms of transient grain and distortion, it is not really that detectable. With some female vocals, I can sometimes detect a faint hint of added sibilance, but it's not distracting.

I think it sounds very on-par with the WM1AM2's internal storage, maybe slightly brighter.

In comparison to the Swissbit, it is just lacking the stronger presence of airiness and the sub-bass doesn't feel as impactful or as deep. The Swissbit has slightly stronger dynamics as well. I would also think the Swissbit has more soft sound details with even better transparency and clarity.

It's only like USD$9.90 right now. Though 64GB is kinda too small in 2024.

I think I can certainly enjoy music with good commerical microsd like the Sandisk High Endurance. I think the question to ask is whether one really wants to hear even more extra details out of their music. The kind of detail that makes music sound more "live" and not sounding like it's a pre-recorded music, but you have to pay much more to get that kind of sound using more expensive cards like the Swissbit.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #14,857 of 15,734
Became a Swissbit club(cult) member today. Happy to have joined! :)
Would be interested to hear your impressions on the Swissbit, especially when paired with the MDR-MV1.

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #14,858 of 15,734
Trying out the Sandisk High Endurance 64GB on fw 1.08 with Japanese Language on my WM1AM2:

Impressions:
I think in general, it is great sounding card. it has a very clear tone, good detail retrieval and inching to a slightly more analytical sound. It has quite a good spatial soundstage too. Bass presentation is great too, especially with Japanese language.

In terms of transient grain and distortion, it is not really that detectable. With some female vocals, I can sometimes detect a faint hint of added sibilance, but it's not distracting.

I think it sounds very on-par with the WM1AM2's internal storage, maybe slightly brighter.

In comparison to the Swissbit, it is just lacking the stronger presence of airiness and the sub-bass doesn't feel as impactful or as deep. The Swissbit has slightly stronger dynamics as well. I would also think the Swissbit has more soft sound details with even better transparency and clarity.

It's only like USD$9.90 right now. Though 64GB is kinda too small in 2024.

I think I can certainly enjoy music with good commerical microsd like the Sandisk High Endurance. I think the question to ask is whether one really wants to hear even more extra details out of their music. The kind of detail that makes music sound more "live" and not sounding like it's a pre-recorded music, but you have to pay much more to get that kind of sound using more expensive cards like the Swissbit.
The Sandisk HE is a very good affordable card. I can get a 256GB in HK for HK$150, so this has become my base card. Good (cheap) price and very acceptable sound.
My recent try is the Samsung Pro Ultimate, 256gb for hk$230, which is more dynamic than the Sandisk HE, and worth the extra cost. I will use it for awhile before I do an actual compare. (or may not get around to it). Initial impression is that it is better than the Sandisk HE, or at least different, in a good way.
Both are good, and affordable.

Agree with you that the Swissbit is an option for getting the most out of the music. Relatively speaking, the cost is nothing compared to what is spent on IEMs and cables.
The Sandisk HE, and the Samsung Pro Ultimate, are a second tier. Very good/great for the price. Already at a level beyond other cards.
Good enough, until the itch is too much to get the best one.

For me, my experience with the Micron shifted me onto another track, and inline with my overall change in how I will treat this hobby, to no longer chase after the next greater and better, but just enjoy what I have for now. In fact, I have quite a lot of equipment that I have not fully enjoyed, and so choose to pause, and not let FOMO be the reason that drives ever more purchases. Or another way to look at it is that I am going to be a "cheap" (affordable?) audiophile. Which is an oxymoron.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #14,859 of 15,734
The Sandisk HE is a very good affordable card. I can get a 256GB in HK for HK$150, so this has become my base card. Good (cheap) price and very acceptable sound.
My recent try is the Samsung Pro Ultimate, 256gb for hk$230, which is more dynamic than the Sandisk HE, and worth the extra cost. I will use it for awhile before I do an actual compare. (or may not get around to it). Initial impression is that it is better than the Sandisk HE, or at least different, in a good way.
Both are good, and affordable.

Agree with you that the Swissbit is an option for getting the most out of the music. Relatively speaking, the cost is nothing compared to what is spent on IEMs and cables.
The Sandisk HE, and the Samsung Pro Ultimate, are a second tier. Very good/great for the price. Already at a level beyond other cards.
Good enough, until the itch is too much to get the best one.

For me, my experience with the Micron shifted me onto another track, and inline with my overall change in how I will treat this hobby, to no longer chase after the next greater and better, but just enjoy what I have for now. In fact, I have quite a lot of equipment that I have not fully enjoyed, and so choose to pause, and not let FOMO be the reason that drives ever more purchases. Or another way to look at it is that I am going to be a "cheap" (affordable?) audiophile. Which is an oxymoron.

I just switched out the Sandisk HE back to the Swissbit. The first immediate noticeable difference is the removal of a certain kind of soft veil in the sound that exist on the Sandisk HE. I think this improved clarity with the Swissbit is something that is worthwhile to spend extra money on to get the most sound detail out of the already high sound quality Walkman. I don't think you would want to be putting cheap tires on your Ferrari right?(I am quoting your own post)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #14,860 of 15,734
I just switched out the Sandisk HE back to the Swissbit. The first immediate noticeable difference is the removal of a certain kind of soft veil in the sound that exist on the Sandisk HE. I think this improved clarity with the Swissbit is something that is worth spend extra money to get the most sound detail out of the already high sound quality Walkman. I don't think you would want to be putting cheap tires on your Ferrari right?(I am quoting your own post)
Ahh, yes, you are the little voice whispering "you really NEED a Swissbit." It costs less than a cheap cable, or 2 copper 4.4mm plugs, or a cheap IEM.
You're right that logic says I should buy one, as I've chased after getting the most out of the system all my time in this hobby.

But I've decided to be practical....You should be encouraging me to be frugal. Must resist....must resist

EDIT: OK, I give up. I am too weak to convince myself I do not need one. I DO need a Swissbit. I'll just defer the decision to make the actual purchase, though.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #14,862 of 15,734
It's suprising the amount of tweaking that can be done to extract more and more out my Sony gear.

The Swissbit increases the dynamics, detail and provides an overall more pleasant tonality compared to the Sandisk Extreme.

Must be a Japanese thing as it reminds me of what I did with my Honda's in the past:)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #14,863 of 15,734
Would be interested to hear your impressions on the Swissbit, especially when paired with the MDR-MV1.
The MDR-MV1 became more 'fun' with the Swissbit. It gives it the push it needed to increase it's dynamic character. Also the sense of space/holography now is very addictive.

Mar 15, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #14,864 of 15,734
It's suprising the amount of tweaking that can be done to extract more and more out my Sony gear.

The Swissbit increases the dynamics, detail and provides an overall more pleasant tonality compared to the Sandisk Extreme.

Must be a Japanese thing as it reminds me of what I did with my Honda's in the past:)
Tuning of Japanese cars, now tuning of Japanese Walkman.

Although not everyone is interested in tweaking. Nor would they ever believe that the Swissbit sounds better than the Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro.

Swissbit was actually previously part of the German company Siemens.

The MDR-MV1 became more 'fun' with the Swissbit. It gives it the push it needed to increase it's dynamic character. Also the sense of space/holography now is very addictive.

Are you using balanced cables with your MDR-MV1?

The MDR-1AM2's balanced cable can be used with MDR-MV1.

I think MUC-S12NB1 should work. But it's kinda hard to find Sony balanced cables here, they don't sell them at their retail outlets(in Singapore).

I think the sense of space/holography is what makes the Swissbit so damn addictive to listen. For me, it allows for immediate emotional connection to the music from the get go as the music feels live as if you are there where the recording is taking place.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #14,865 of 15,734
Sony, Honda and to a lesser extend Japanese watches make me a firm believer in the quality of Japanese tech. My Honda S2000 I will never let go off.

Always build with a kind of ''keep it simple in design but make it excellent' philosophy. Possibly also therefore very suitable and easy to tweak and further develop upon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back