SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 12, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #14,761 of 15,712
Yes it is! To be honest, it does sound very good from the DAP. Just like the Angela Aki track you posted awhile back (loved it). 🙂
Instead of using YouTube app on the Walkman, it is best to rip out the audio track from the video and listen to the file rip using Walkman storage or microSD. Angela Aki’s background choir literally gave me goosebumps.

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #14,762 of 15,712
Instead of using YouTube app on the Walkman, it is best to rip out the audio track from the video and listen to the file rip using Walkman storage or microSD. Angela Aki’s background choir literally gave me goosebumps.
It gave goosebumps and more. Emotional. Great recommendation!

Mar 12, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #14,764 of 15,712
No change in sound signature that I can hear when changing language on my 1ZM2.

On my ZX707 however I can notice a clear difference and a play interrupt when changing. Much prefer the JP language sound signature:)
It might be that 1zm2 is not affected
Or at least there is a case for it to not be , as many 1zm2 users are telling no difference changing the language
( the difference is definitely noticeable instead on 1am2 )

Mar 12, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #14,765 of 15,712
It might be that 1zm2 is not affected
Or at least there is a case for it to not be , as many 1zm2 users are telling no difference changing the language
( the difference is definitely noticeable instead on 1am2 )
@andrewski is using the 1ZM2 and he is hearing sound changes from switching languages. I think best to confirm this with him once again, when he comes back to the forum.

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #14,767 of 15,712
@andrewski is using the 1ZM2 and he is hearing sound changes from switching languages. I think best to confirm this with him once again, when he comes back to the forum.
I've just had a major move this past weekend, and may be another week before I return to Walkman Zen. I promise to retroactively like everyone's posts :)

The change in sound was very noticable to me on ZM2. Not quite like a light switch, but the perceived change sinks-in in a couple of seconds. Affecting quiet parts and textures. More noticable than a cable change, less than a Swissbit. Like I said earlier, Japanese language saved my music. Subtle changes can make all the difference. I'm endgame now :)

I tried most of the languages very briefly, but noticed obvious differences with them all.

Thanks everyone for their insights/opinions on this :)

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #14,769 of 15,712
So , how is it sounding so far ?
I will try to write something up today after work. I feel to give a proper assessment of the cards. I had to spend quite a bit of time with each card getting my brain to understand response times as well as what I’m hearing.

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #14,770 of 15,712
it might be there is a case for ( some ) 1zm2's not affected by sound changes in languages, I hardly see how these changes can remain unnoticed in the other case..
Recently I just helped a forum member here to successfully troubleshoot his WM1AM2, he couldn't play DSD files at all, he tried UAPP, tried Walkman Music App, DSD Remastering mode. Both Microsd and Internal storage all had the same issue. This problem was discovered by him sometime after the latest firmware update.

How the problem was resolved was a factory reset. A firmware update can even cause the Walkman's software to glitch out? Murphy's Law at work?

There could be other reasons why they don't notice the sound changes or maybe the firmware region is locked?

Also there are a couple of times when I myself has encountered no changes to the sound immediately after switching language. I have to exit the Walkman Music App and relaunch it for the sound changes to take effect. Software glitch or some kind of delay? Not sure.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #14,771 of 15,712
I won’t have such blasphemy from an Opeth fan 🫣
Sorry. Should have shown more sorrow after going through this thread. Next time, I promise 😌.

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #14,772 of 15,712
I will try to write something up today after work. I feel to give a proper assessment of the cards. I had to spend quite a bit of time with each card getting my brain to understand response times as well as what I’m hearing.

Just take your time. Also it can be very difficult to describe in words(audiophile jargons and etc) what are you are hearing. Here's some references:
https://www.thehonestaudiophile.com/post/the-honest-audiophile-s-terms-and-definitions-guide
https://bloomaudio.com/blogs/articles/understanding-audiophile-jargon

I've just had a major move this past weekend, and may be another week before I return to Walkman Zen. I promise to retroactively like everyone's posts :)

The change in sound was very noticable to me on ZM2. Not quite like a light switch, but the perceived change sinks-in in a couple of seconds. Affecting quiet parts and textures. More noticable than a cable change, less than a Swissbit. Like I said earlier, Japanese language saved my music. Subtle changes can make all the difference. I'm endgame now :)

I tried most of the languages very briefly, but noticed obvious differences with them all.

Thanks everyone for their insights/opinions on this :)
I would recommend for you to try this:
Turkish: Darker sounding with lots of soundstage depth and cavernous reverberations. It's not the most detailed sounding but it has a very emotive sound and certain instruments shows unique timbre decays(not present in any other languages).

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #14,773 of 15,712
Recently I just helped a forum member here to successfully troubleshoot his WM1AM2, he couldn't play DSD files at all, he tried UAPP, tried Walkman Music App, DSD Remastering mode. Both Microsd and Internal storage all had the same issue. This problem was discovered by him sometime after the latest firmware update.

How the problem was resolved was a factory reset. A firmware update can even cause the Walkman's software to glitch out? Murphy's Law at work?

There could be other reasons why they don't notice the sound changes or maybe the firmware region is locked?

Also there are a couple of times when I myself has encountered no changes to the sound immediately after switching language. I have to exit the Walkman Music App and relaunch it for the sound changes to take effect. Software glitch or some kind of delay? Not sure.
Possible. I find it also likely that the developers had a single universal sound signature in mind for their flagship player WM1ZM2, purposely not catering for regional taste differences.

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #14,774 of 15,712
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back