SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 5, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #14,507 of 15,608
Sorry I always thought the Rohm dacs were R2R based(because they certainly sound like one), maybe it's the current based design is making these ROHM dacs sound really analogue like. Thanks for the white paper, very interesting find, I will spend time reading upon it. I feel that Rohm based dac seems to be sacrificing some of the dynamics in order to sound as smooth as possible(somewhat like what DSD Remastering is doing). For myself, I am so used to the fast dynamics of the WM1AM2, when I first listen to the DX320, I didn't really find the sound to be fun and engaging to listen, especially for jpop genre, although for classical genre, the DX320 is really very nice sounding.

Also I think there's still alot more to explore with your new WM1ZM2 before you can give a firm impression on it's true sound performance:

200hours Burn in
Updating to new firmware
Debloating

Also one last recommendation:
Do format your microsd card via the walkman android OS. This will optimize the microsd internal file systems(yes, there are many internal layers) to work best with the walkman. Sorry if you already have music file on your current microsd card, as you have to re-transfer them.
Yeah consensus on DX320 is the stock amp 11mk2 is good but doesn't bring the best out of it.. Once I got the Amp14, 11mk2 stayed in the box.

Good point on reformatting the file system; read a few pages back that Micron is good before going allout for Swissbit.. so will probably need to get one of those.

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #14,508 of 15,608
Personally I have found that formatting the microsd via the walkman does help with improving the sound quality ever so slightly, the other non-crucial side effects include:
Faster Database Rebuild/Updates
Faster loading of Album Art

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #14,509 of 15,608
Would be wise to update and try 1.07, before 1.08 >and use it as an option eventually later
Ahh, I'm too lazy.. I spent 5 mins looking on Sony website and couldn't find the old links and decided to jump straight to 1.08.. Will live with whatever SQ profile the Sony team and Mr Sato thinks is good hahaha..

One more question - how does this Headphone Connect app work? Besides the 360 reality audio DSP, does it apply any other IEM/headphone specific profile/tuning? Is it relevant for IER-Z1R because it doesn't seem like it but more for Bluetooth headphones/TWS like the WF1000XM5

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #14,510 of 15,608
Yeah consensus on DX320 is the stock amp 11mk2 is good but doesn't bring the best out of it.. Once I got the Amp14, 11mk2 stayed in the box.

Good point on reformatting the file system; read a few pages back that Micron is good before going allout for Swissbit.. so will probably need to get one of those.
To my ears, the DX 320 sounded very good only with the firmware in its original condition upon delivery. When the first update came out the sound was unbearable for me. Those heavily emphasized upper mids. Awful. I then sent the Amp 12 to NP Audio, spent a good 700 bucks with customs and all, but it wasn't a hit. Sold again straight away :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :beerchug:

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #14,511 of 15,608
Hello M2 friends, I have a question for you. I'm coming from the WM1Z and I really like the digital volume bar that's always visible on the top of the screen. If you want to change the volume, you can use the side buttons or tap the volume bar to get to the digital wheel.

Of course, you can also use the side buttons on the M2, but it does not have a volume indicator that is always visible, like the bar on the M1 or, in the case of other DAPs, a number in the status bar. I did not think about this before I started using it. On the M2, you have to swipe down to access the quick settings, select the volume shortcut and then adjust it.

Basically, it takes one more swipe to change the volume on the M2 than on the M1. As I said, this may not matter to most people and may be super picky, but I found it less than ideal. Otherwise, I love the DAP.

Is there an option that I have missed or a good recommendation for a third party app that would allow such a feature?

You can consider getting yourself a bluetooth remote control like this one which will work for the M2 walkman as per posted by @ttt123:

Fiio RM3 Blutetooth Remote https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005005282609925.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2vnm

Just got this, and trying it on the WM1AM2, it is working perfectly! This was an unexpected find at the HK AV show, as it was just released in July 2023, and I did not know that it existed. Works well, and is inexpensive.

RM3: WAKE FUNCTION:
The return button(next to the favorite button, above the volume button, wakes up the WM1AM2. The Home button will also wake up the Sony, and go to the home screen.
Turn on the mouse, and it will also wake up the Sony. Mouse function, and the 4 way pad works great.

The screen wakeup functions are not documented, but I was used to looking for functions from trying multiple BT remotes trying to find a good working one. Not every DAP responds the same, so trial and error is needed. So I am quite excited with the RM3, as it has everything I want, at an affordable price.
It is better than the Sony RMT-NWS20 for home use, which does not have a screen wake function. Though if you want a small size for mobile use, the NWS20 is better.

But for a smaller, cheap BT remote, that also works great, the link below is for a small round BT remote, with a wake function (long press of the Next Track button) that works on the WM1AM2.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...86260a0469db6aa66c0cecc1892&afSmartRedirect=y

RM3: BASIC FUNCTIONS:
Has the basic functions of:
- volume +- / play/pause / and previous track/next track
- Favorites button will add the track into favourites

Amazing that all the buttons/functions are useful and work, as other remotes I tried were spotty, and most did not have a screen wakeup function, which is super useful.

Uses 2 AAA batteries (which the user needs to provide, as there are no batteries in the package)

Fiio RM3: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

1691771373214.png

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #14,512 of 15,608
Ahh, I'm too lazy.. I spent 5 mins looking on Sony website and couldn't find the old links and decided to jump straight to 1.08.. Will live with whatever SQ profile the Sony team and Mr Sato thinks is good hahaha..

One more question - how does this Headphone Connect app work? Besides the 360 reality audio DSP, does it apply any other IEM/headphone specific profile/tuning? Is it relevant for IER-Z1R because it doesn't seem like it but more for Bluetooth headphones/TWS like the WF1000XM5
Back then(before 2019), the headphone connect initially started out as companion app to access the additional functions of Sony's bluetooth headphones/TWS. Ever since Sony developed their 360RA Eco system, the headphone connect has evolved to support their modern Sony wired headphone/iems. You have be to connected to Wifi(for walkman) in order to add Sony wired headpone/iem profiles.

I also highly recommend for you to add your ear profile to Sony. The HRTF profile generated seems to be working system wide which includes affecting how the Sony Walkman Music App sounds with offline music.

I also would recommend to experimenting with enabling High Res Streaming mode On(even for offline playback) if you want to use this wired profile + ear profile. Also DSEE Ultimate will sound quite different(with high res streaming on + wired profile + ear profile). Do note that High res streaming on increases the battery consumption, even if you are just using the walkman for offline playback.

Also recommended to update the headphone connect app on google playstore to the latest version.

You can add multiple sony wired headphone/iems profiles and switch between them on the fly

The nagging problem though is if you want to switch non-sony iem/headphones for your WM1ZM2, you would have to remove the Sony profiles or disable the app. The spatial imaging doesn't sound right if you use the wrong profile.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #14,513 of 15,608
You can consider getting yourself a bluetooth remote control like this one which will work for the M2 walkman as per posted by @ttt123:
Thanks, that is a good idea, I have the old Sony RMT-NWS20 somewhere. I will dig it out and give it a try.

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #14,514 of 15,608
Hey guys, does the NW-WM1AM2 support bit perfect playback via Tidal and Qobuz?

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #14,515 of 15,608
Hey guys, does the NW-WM1AM2 support bit perfect playback via Tidal and Qobuz?
Bit perfect is only supported on official Sony Music Apps. All non-Sony apps will be upscaled accordingly. Basically, streaming apps will be upscaled unfortunately.

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #14,516 of 15,608
Bit perfect is only supported on official Sony Music Apps. All non-Sony apps will be upscaled accordingly. Basically, streaming apps will be upscaled unfortunately.
Theta not good... Guessing uapp, neutron etc will do bit perfect too though

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #14,517 of 15,608
There's some workarounds to that. So far we(head-fi walkman owners of zx507 and etc) have discovered that USB Audio Player Pro and Neutron App is capable of allowing "bit perfect" mode with the Sony android walkmans(including A105, M2 and ZX707, A306)

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #14,518 of 15,608
Mar 5, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #14,519 of 15,608
@sanakimpro

I suggest to experiment with one important setting that affects the sound of walkman rather drastically:

Walkman Music App > Settings > Filtering during DSD Playback

1) Slow Roll-off
2) Sharp Roll-off

Although the description says it's for DSD, this sound setting affects PCM playback too.

I believe there is a very noticeable difference between the two settings. Give it a try, maybe you would like the sound of Sharp roll-off over the default Slow Roll-off.

So here's my take on how they sound with 1.08:

Slow Roll-off has less glare but seems to have more time smearing
Sharp Roll-off has more glare but less time smearing

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #14,520 of 15,608
@andrewski

I still think that 1.08 is a massive improvement over 1.07 even if it is more aggressive sounding with more occurrences of glare. I think Mr Sato is prioritising the Walkman's reproduction of live recordings with this firmware. 1.08 seems to me to have less aggressive noise shaping which allows for even more fine details to come through(especially with sharp roll-off).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back