SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 21, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #14,206 of 15,991
Given how good the processing with DSEE Ultimate on fw1.08 sounds, I am not sure if it is necessary to use 3rd party software for EQ or other sound processing at all. In my opinion, I rather let the experienced and distinguished Sony researchers and audio engineers with their actual field experience in studio sound recording and AI R&D process my music over any other “amateur” grade programmers out there.

I wish there was an explanation why Sony decided to stop updating the software on the DMP-Z1. It sounds like they are working hard making advances in their DSEE software and rolling that out to their Walkmans. Sure, they decided to stop making the DMP-Z1, but why also stop updating it, since 2018! Now, I listed to music in direct mode when using FLAC files, but I am curious to evaluating what their newest DSEE can to, sad that I can't do it on their absolute flagship.

Feb 21, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #14,207 of 15,991
I wish there was an explanation why Sony decided to stop updating the software on the DMP-Z1. It sounds like they are working hard making advances in their DSEE software and rolling that out to their Walkmans. Sure, they decided to stop making the DMP-Z1, but why also stop updating it, since 2018! Now, I listed to music in direct mode when using FLAC files, but I am curious to evaluating what their newest DSEE can to, sad that I can't do it on their absolute flagship.
I believe the processor on the DMP-Z1 does not have enough real time computational power required for DSEE Ultimate. The NXP processor on the M2 Walkman does have an onboard AI accelerator NPU unit, while the ZX707 and A306 is running off the Qualcomm chips with DSP co-processor that can assist with AI functions.

Feb 21, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #14,208 of 15,991
I am sure I will overcome this with alternative updates methods, anyhow I wonder what it might be preventing OTA ( first time on different 1zm2/1am2 units, that happens to me )
Set the date and time. Change it to another date/time, and change it back to toggle it. Restart, try the update again.
There is a warning about this on the Firmware page, so it may be able to affect the update. What is described does not match your situation, but still worth trying, I guess.

https://www.sony.com.hk/en/electron...yers-nw-wm-series/nw-wm1am2/software/00277354
IMPORTANT:
  • You will need to update both the Music Center for PC software and the Walkman firmware to the latest versions to improve connection stability. If either is not updated to the latest version, there is a possibility that the Music Center for PC software and Walkman device will not connect properly.
  • The date and time must be set correctly on the Walkman or the update notification may not appear. If they are not correct, set the date and time manually.

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #14,209 of 15,991
Wow! I think DSEE may have finally won me over with this update. I don't clearly prefer Direct anymore. I used to find DSEE a little too blurry, but now find it cleaner, dynamic, and fun. I'll try it for a week and see if I like going back to Direct :)

(using local WAV 16-bit 44.1khz)

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #14,210 of 15,991
Wow! I think DSEE may have finally won me over with this update. I don't clearly prefer Direct anymore. I used to find DSEE a little too blurry, but now find it cleaner, dynamic, and fun. I'll try it for a week and see if I like going back to Direct :)

(using local WAV 16-bit 44.1khz)
This 1.08 DSEE's Artificial Intelligence seems even more evolved and automomous. This is what I am noticing so far:

Blurry bad recordings seems to have a major step up in clarity.
Even more instrument timbre: Piano can have even more glossy high tones. Drums have more impact, Strings can sound even more airy
Spatial sound field expands even wider and higher.
Vocals feels more emotive, it seems that there's like more variations in the strength/loudness of the singing.
Dynamics can swing from sounding delicate to hard hitting. There's alot of changes happening.

It's like a real time remastering done right.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #14,213 of 15,991
When you activate DSEE, do you also activate the equalizer or just DSEE?

Or what kind of configuration they have, I only listen to rock and metal and I always have it live, but right now I put the DSEE on and wow, it does change the sound.

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #14,214 of 15,991
When you activate DSEE, do you also activate the equalizer or just DSEE?

Or what kind of configuration they have, I only listen to rock and metal and I always have it live, but right now I put the DSEE on and wow, it does change the sound.
It's your personal preference, EQ can help to correct frequency response issues with your iem/headphones. You can choose to use DSEE standalone or in conjunction with any other DSP and EQ except DSD Remastering.

Personally for myself, I would not use EQ at all. I find that the inherent frequency response(and it's coloration of the sound) of the IER-M9 is what I like. Also I have already applied the HTRF profile with the Sony headphone app, so adding EQ to that won't be ideal.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #14,215 of 15,991
It's your personal preference, EQ can help to correct frequency response issues with your iem/headphones. You can choose to use DSEE standalone or in conjunction with any other DSP and EQ except DSD Remastering.

Personally for myself, I would not use EQ at all. I find that the inherent frequency response(and it's coloration of the sound) of the IER-M9 is what I like. Also I have already applied the HTRF profile with the Sony headphone app, so adding EQ to that won't be ideal.
Thanks, right now I'm with the mdr-1am2 and it sounds great with the new update.

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #14,216 of 15,991
I feel that the imaging precision of 1.08 DSEE Ultimate has seen a major improvement as well. Music Instruments can be more easily located than before. Now there's even more better sense of the actual acoustic space where the recording took place, as I am hearing more of the tiny echos and reflections of the vocals and instruments.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #14,217 of 15,991
I feel that the imaging precision of 1.08 DSEE Ultimate has seen a major improvement as well. Music Instruments can be more easily located than before. Now there's even more better sense of the actual acoustic space where the recording took place, as I am hearing more of the tiny echos and reflections of the vocals and instruments.
Which over do you use most with your dap?

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #14,218 of 15,991
Also I don't think that this FW1.08 DSEE's "improvements" have been updated into the ZX707 yet. I just listened to the demo unit ZX707 with android 13 at One Holland Village a few days back. The DSEE Ultimate of the current ZX707 firmware seems to be behaving like the previous 1.07 DSEE Ultimate of the M2, which doesn't increase drum impact.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #14,220 of 15,991
you mean headphones? I have the MDR-1AM2 but my primary is still the IER-M9.
Yes headphones, I have the mdr1am2, M7, mdrz7m2 and 1R, I tried only the mdr1am2 and I really liked the update

Users who are viewing this thread

Back